Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater TP Valve Occasionally Spits

I understand that it may be doing it's job with temp & pressure and that
may have to be addressed.

A couple of times a week it spits some water out. Think it might be
worthwhile to change the valve first to see if the issue stops doing it?

Not much of a plumber here but have done my basic share. No problem
sweating pipes from TP valve that go to floor so I can unscrew the TP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 7:46*am, Red Green wrote:
I understand that it may be doing it's job with temp & pressure and that
may have to be addressed.

A couple of times a week it spits some water out. Think it might be
worthwhile to change the valve first to see if the issue stops doing it?

Not much of a plumber here but have done my basic share. No problem
sweating pipes from TP valve that go to floor so I can unscrew the TP.

Other things to try before simply replacing the TP valve;

check the thermostat setpoint, if the water is too hot the valve can
open

if your house has a back flow preventer and your expansion tank has
lost its charge, the TP valve could be acting to relieve the pressure
caused by "cold to hot expansion
The intermittent nature of the discharge gives me this impression

Sometimes TP valves can suffer scale buildup, if you cycle the valve
it can help to get the valve to seal BUT sometimes they get worse.
So be prepared to have things get worse & demand immediate
replacement.

wrt to your original question, replacement is pretty simple. Un-sweat
the piping & unscrew the valve.
I would suggest using MAPP gas torch, lots of heat so you can get the
joints hot very quickly without letting other things get hot.

On the re-install, I suggest the use of a union or a copper flex line,
so that reinstall and any future maint involves no sweating.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 7:46*am, Red Green wrote:
I understand that it may be doing it's job with temp & pressure and that
may have to be addressed.

A couple of times a week it spits some water out. Think it might be
worthwhile to change the valve first to see if the issue stops doing it?

Not much of a plumber here but have done my basic share. No problem
sweating pipes from TP valve that go to floor so I can unscrew the TP.

Two possible causes I can think of.

A TPRV that is failing.
Tank is overheating.

I would replace the valve first but it wouldn't hurt to test the water
temp.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 9:46*am, Red Green wrote:
I understand that it may be doing it's job with temp & pressure and that
may have to be addressed.

A couple of times a week it spits some water out. Think it might be
worthwhile to change the valve first to see if the issue stops doing it?

Not much of a plumber here but have done my basic share. No problem
sweating pipes from TP valve that go to floor so I can unscrew the TP.

I thought you use duct tape to fix everything? (also...there is no
possessive form for it, it's is always "it is")
And yes...change the T&P!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:

I thought you use duct tape to fix everything? (also...there is no
possessive form for it, it's is always "it is")
And yes...change the T&P!

There is a possessive form for "it". It's "its" as in "Me Golden Idol has
lost its shine!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 10:59*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:

I thought you use duct tape to fix everything? (also...there is no
possessive form for it, it's is always "it is")
And yes...change the T&P!

There is a possessive form for "it". It's "its" as in "Me Golden Idol has
lost its shine!"

But so many folks don't know the difference between "its" and "it's".
It's a pity that they don't use the correct word.