Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Microwave functions

If I want to heat something in my microwave all I have to push is 1-6
and it is a one button touch operation. It is pretty handy. What I
haven't figured out is why it does not work for 7,8 or 9.

There has to be some very deep engineering reason. I am sure it is
designed to keep someone from killing themselves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

If I want to heat something in my microwave all I have to push is 1-6
and it is a one button touch operation. It is pretty handy. What I
haven't figured out is why it does not work for 7,8 or 9.

There has to be some very deep engineering reason. I am sure it is
designed to keep someone from killing themselves.

Yes, death by exploding superheated split pea soup is fairly common in
the insurance actuarial tables.

But seriously, consider yourself fortunate. I have to push *two*
buttons, the numeral and the start, and my microwave maxes out at five
minutes for the quick start feature.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 12, 9:06*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
If I want to heat something in my microwave all I have to push is 1-6
and it is a one button touch operation. *It is pretty handy. *What I
haven't figured out is why it does not work for 7,8 or 9.

There has to be some very deep engineering reason. *I am sure it is
designed to keep someone from killing themselves.

Don't waste time on it. Use Craigslist, garage sales or auctions and
bring home a better one. Or even spend $69.95 on a new one. Lots of
holiday sales staring now.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
:

If I want to heat something in my microwave all I have to push is 1-6
and it is a one button touch operation. It is pretty handy. What I
haven't figured out is why it does not work for 7,8 or 9.

There has to be some very deep engineering reason. I am sure it is
designed to keep someone from killing themselves.

You must have a GE like I do.

six minutes at full power(1100w?) is a lot of energy to be put into a food
item.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2010 10:06 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
If I want to heat something in my microwave all I have to push is 1-6
and it is a one button touch operation. It is pretty handy. What I
haven't figured out is why it does not work for 7,8 or 9.

There has to be some very deep engineering reason. I am sure it is
designed to keep someone from killing themselves.

I use the "minute plus" button most of the time. Press once for each
minute. I did just use the baked potato button last week, press that
button once for each potato. Worked surprisingly well, oh, well I did
also throw the taters under the broiler for a bit until the steaks were
done so the skins got a little crisp.

Now the real thing I look for in a microwave oven is for a door that
pulls open without having to press a door release button.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
If I want to heat something in my microwave all I have to push is
1-6
and it is a one button touch operation. It is pretty handy. What I
haven't figured out is why it does not work for 7,8 or 9.

There has to be some very deep engineering reason. I am sure it is
designed to keep someone from killing themselves.

Maybe because the people who design them never cook anything longer
than 6 minutes?

But probably because the microcontrollers in these things are less
expensive if they are smaller and have less program memory. And I'm
talking 50 cents instead of 75 cents! So they may have been limited as
to how many functions they could have based on the memory for the chip
they decided to use.

Following are microcontrollers. Notice the price goes up as the memory
gets larger..
http://www.microchipdirect.com/Chart...id=10&treeid=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/2010 2:56 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Like somebody else said, to reduce the chance of idiots burning the
house down.

I dread the day the CPU or touch pad in my built-in micro goes belly up.
If the parts are available at all for a 15 year old machine, they will
probably be close to the cost of a new one. My number 2 micro, that I
brought from the apartment, still works fine after 28? years. No chips,
no clock, just a spring dial and an ON button.

--
aem sends...