Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default OT Microwave functions

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
If I want to heat something in my microwave all I have to push is
1-6
and it is a one button touch operation. It is pretty handy. What I
haven't figured out is why it does not work for 7,8 or 9.

There has to be some very deep engineering reason. I am sure it is
designed to keep someone from killing themselves.

Maybe because the people who design them never cook anything longer
than 6 minutes?

But probably because the microcontrollers in these things are less
expensive if they are smaller and have less program memory. And I'm
talking 50 cents instead of 75 cents! So they may have been limited as
to how many functions they could have based on the memory for the chip
they decided to use.

Following are microcontrollers. Notice the price goes up as the memory
gets larger..
http://www.microchipdirect.com/Chart...id=10&treeid=1