Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVC pipe as watering device

I have some areas that are awkward to water -- the little metal
gizmos circular or rectangular-oriented always throw too far or not
far enuff. II don't want to stand there for long periods.

So I took some PVC pipe -- I think 1/2" ?- pierced holes along the
pipe with a hot nail, closed off the end with a cap, put a threaded
attachment on the other end. When I want to water, lay it along the
area, attach to hose and regulate the stream.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 3:33*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have some areas that are awkward to water -- the little metal
gizmos *circular or rectangular-oriented always throw too far or not
far enuff. *II don't want to stand there for long periods.

So I took some PVC pipe -- I think 1/2" ?- *pierced holes along the
pipe with a hot nail, closed off the end with a cap, put a threaded
attachment on the other end. * When I want to water, lay it along the
area, attach to hose and regulate the stream.

They sell sprinkler hose that does just that, and it's flexible so it
can twist and turn as needed. They also sell drip line hose, which
for most purposes other than lawn is more efficient.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 12:46*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 10, 3:33*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

I have some areas that are awkward to water -- the little metal
gizmos *circular or rectangular-oriented always throw too far or not
far enuff. *II don't want to stand there for long periods.

So I took some PVC pipe -- I think 1/2" ?- *pierced holes along the
pipe with a hot nail, closed off the end with a cap, put a threaded
attachment on the other end. * When I want to water, lay it along the
area, attach to hose and regulate the stream.

They sell sprinkler hose that does just that, and it's flexible so it
can twist and turn as needed. *They also sell drip line hose, which
for most purposes other than lawn is more efficient.

I KNOW, I KNOW!!! I HAVE some. Just suggesting a device that
might be fun and cheap. Tx anyway.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 10:14*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Nov 10, 12:46*pm, RicodJour wrote: On Nov 10, 3:33*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

I have some areas that are awkward to water -- the little metal
gizmos *circular or rectangular-oriented always throw too far or not
far enuff. *II don't want to stand there for long periods.

So I took some PVC pipe -- I think 1/2" ?- *pierced holes along the
pipe with a hot nail, closed off the end with a cap, put a threaded
attachment on the other end. * When I want to water, lay it along the
area, attach to hose and regulate the stream.

They sell sprinkler hose that does just that, and it's flexible so it
can twist and turn as needed. *They also sell drip line hose, which
for most purposes other than lawn is more efficient.

I *KNOW, I KNOW!!! *I HAVE some. *Just suggesting a device that
might be fun and cheap. *Tx anyway.

HB

Good for sprinkling litts kids also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 11:14*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Nov 10, 12:46*pm, RicodJour wrote: On Nov 10, 3:33*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

I have some areas that are awkward to water -- the little metal
gizmos *circular or rectangular-oriented always throw too far or not
far enuff. *II don't want to stand there for long periods.

So I took some PVC pipe -- I think 1/2" ?- *pierced holes along the
pipe with a hot nail, closed off the end with a cap, put a threaded
attachment on the other end. * When I want to water, lay it along the
area, attach to hose and regulate the stream.

They sell sprinkler hose that does just that, and it's flexible so it
can twist and turn as needed. *They also sell drip line hose, which
for most purposes other than lawn is more efficient.

I *KNOW, I KNOW!!! *I HAVE some. *Just suggesting a device that
might be fun and cheap. *Tx anyway.

Oh, okay, got it. I've used some black sprinkler pipe for something
similar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/10/2010 2:33 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have some areas that are awkward to water -- the little metal
gizmos circular or rectangular-oriented always throw too far or not
far enuff. II don't want to stand there for long periods.

So I took some PVC pipe -- I think 1/2" ?- pierced holes along the
pipe with a hot nail, closed off the end with a cap, put a threaded
attachment on the other end. When I want to water, lay it along the
area, attach to hose and regulate the stream.

I hear that home made tastes better. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 2:33 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have some areas that are awkward to water -- the little metal
gizmos circular or rectangular-oriented always throw too far or not
far enuff. II don't want to stand there for long periods.

So I took some PVC pipe -- I think 1/2" ?- pierced holes along the
pipe with a hot nail, closed off the end with a cap, put a threaded
attachment on the other end. When I want to water, lay it along the
area, attach to hose and regulate the stream.

Andy comments:

I do the same thing for watering the raised beds of my garden. Since
I use lake water, occasionally there is some sediment buildup in the
holes. By using threaded attachements, as you do, I can rotate the
pipe so the water comes out the top, or at an angle to either side and
the sediment buildup problem is eliminated.
The leakage at the threaded joint is only a few drops.
I've been using this for five raised beds, 20 X 4, for several years
and
it works very well.
I use the cheapest PVC ( $1 for 10 feet) with holes every foot
or so. If I want to plug a hole, I just turn a drywall screw into
the
hole a turn or two and only a few drops at most come out.

When I do cucumbers, I plug up all the holes in that pipe except
for the ones that squirt directly on the hills.

Just wanted to share. It's worked well for me, and is cheap and
easy.

Andy in Eureka, Texas