Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Web application tell you geographic elevation information about your home,

This is a handy apps for you to retrieve more detail information about
your home.
http://heightmap.appspot.com/heights.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
youn wrote:
This is a handy apps for you to retrieve more detail information about
your home.
http://heightmap.appspot.com/heights.html

Very intesting application but does not appear to be accurate. I checked a
location where I know there is an elevation difference on the order
of 10-15 meters and the application only showed a difference of 2 meters,
and in the wrong direction, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 9:33*am, (Larry W) wrote:
In article ,

--
* *There are no stupid questions, but there are lots of stupid answers.

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar. org

As I am living near the beach, it seems that the height data is pretty
precise for me. However it might be a little difficult for the Google
Map engine to provide as correct data in places elsewhere.

Blame google if you really find there is such a big difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 7:36*pm, youn wrote:
On Nov 11, 9:33*am, (Larry W) wrote:

In article ,

youn wrote:
This is a handy apps for you to retrieve more detail information about
your home.
http://heightmap.appspot.com/heights.html

Very intesting application but does not appear to be accurate. I checked a
location where I know there is an elevation difference on the order
of 10-15 meters and the application only showed a difference of 2 meters,
and in the wrong direction, too.

--
* *There are no stupid questions, but there are lots of stupid answers.

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar. org

As I am living near the beach, it seems that the height data is pretty
precise for me. However it might be a little difficult for the Google
Map engine to provide as correct data in places elsewhere.

Blame google if you really find there is such a big difference. - Hide quoted text -

the site is updated with more easy to use feature such as direct geo
data display with mark labels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 5:33*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
In article ,

youn wrote:
This is a handy apps for you to retrieve more detail information about
your home.
http://heightmap.appspot.com/heights.html

Very intesting application but does not appear to be accurate. I checked a
location where I know there is an elevation difference on the order
of 10-15 meters and the application only showed a difference of 2 meters,
and in the wrong direction, too.

--
* *There are no stupid questions, but there are lots of stupid answers.

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar. org

As far as I can tell (although I can't zoom in enough to be sure) the
app seems to be off by about 66% for my lot.

My lot drops about 6 feet from front to rear.

Doing a conversion from meters to feet, the app appears to show a drop
of less 2 feet. That's less than 33% of what it should be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/10/2010 5:33 PM, Larry W wrote:
In ,
wrote:
This is a handy apps for you to retrieve more detail information about
your home.
http://heightmap.appspot.com/heights.html

Very intesting application but does not appear to be accurate. I checked a
location where I know there is an elevation difference on the order
of 10-15 meters and the application only showed a difference of 2 meters,
and in the wrong direction, too.

Seems close here. 1494' at the road and 1588' at the house. Yes I'm on
a small mountain with a steep driveway. Now I'm not sure if I'm doing
this right... Driveway is 528' long with a 94' incline, that's less than
an 18 degree pitch? I thought it was steeper?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 6:36*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 10, 5:33*pm, (Larry W) wrote:

In article ,

youn wrote:
This is a handy apps for you to retrieve more detail information about
your home.
http://heightmap.appspot.com/heights.html

Very intesting application but does not appear to be accurate. I checked a
location where I know there is an elevation difference on the order
of 10-15 meters and the application only showed a difference of 2 meters,
and in the wrong direction, too.

--
* *There are no stupid questions, but there are lots of stupid answers.

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar. org

As far as I can tell (although I can't zoom in enough to be sure) the
app seems to be off by about 66% for my lot.

My lot drops about 6 feet from front to rear.

Doing a conversion from meters to feet, the app appears to show a drop
of less 2 feet. That's less than 33% of what it should be.- Hide quoted text -

hi, thanks for the reply.
I think it might come with the unit problem. I am currently in Aus, so
the data come back from google map by default for me is meter. I would
assume that the elevation data come back from Google Map engine might
be feet directly in US, so that you needn't do the conversion of
1m=3.28 feet. that might explain the 66% difference.
In the map display, I have updated to remove the "m" as the unit and
leave to the user to interprete it himself at his only convenience, as
I haven't spend much time to explore the different units in different
countries. i will spend some time to explore it and get a better
solution for that.
thank you for use it.
Some more features will come back soon. please your further feedback
are most welcomed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:
This is a handy apps for you to retrieve more detail information about
your home.
http://heightmap.appspot.com/heights.html

Very intesting application but does not appear to be accurate. I checked a
location where I know there is an elevation difference on the order
of 10-15 meters and the application only showed a difference of 2 meters,
and in the wrong direction, too.

Seems close here. *1494' at the road and 1588' at the house. *Yes I'm on
a small mountain with a steep driveway. *Now I'm not sure if I'm doing
this right... Driveway is 528' long with a 94' incline, that's less than
an 18 degree pitch? *I thought it was steeper?

thanks for the feedback. hope the possible unit problem does not
bother you
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2010 10:02 AM, youn wrote:
On Nov 12, 6:36 am, wrote:
On Nov 10, 5:33 pm, (Larry W) wrote:

In ,

wrote:
[...]

Mine (in the US) was most definitely in meters and I converted it to feet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 2:23*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 11/12/2010 10:02 AM, youn wrote:

On Nov 12, 6:36 am, *wrote:
On Nov 10, 5:33 pm, (Larry W) wrote:

In ,

*wrote:
[...]

Mine (in the US) was most definitely in meters and I converted it to feet..- Hide quoted text -

thank you very much for the feedback