Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat Surge

As a single senior and not very handy, I still get lots of useful
information from this group.
So whats the story with the Heat Surge that I just saw an
infomercial about? Is it a scam? Does it actually save money? Has
anyone tried one? Thanks for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
As a single senior and not very handy, I still get lots of useful
information from this group.
So whats the story with the Heat Surge that I just saw an
infomercial about? Is it a scam? Does it actually save money? Has
anyone tried one? Thanks for any help.

SCAM

It is the same as the $20 space heater from Wal Mart or Lowes, just in a
fancy case.

Yes, it will save money if you just heat the room you are in and let the
rest of the house be very cold. If you want to live the winter in one
room, you may come out ahead. 1500 watts of heat is still 1500 watts of
heat be it from a cheap space heater or a fancy $300 one. No more, no less.
Your choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

As a single senior and not very handy, I still get lots of useful
information from this group.
So whats the story with the Heat Surge that I just saw an
infomercial about? Is it a scam? Does it actually save money? Has
anyone tried one? Thanks for any help.

This sounds like a trade name for some undefined gadget
-- an electric heater? If you identify it with more detail you
may get useful replies. Sources like local newspapers sometimes
print reviews of how many thousand BTU you get per dollar from
competing sources (electricity, gas, etc.) at local prices. These
differ, e.g. in Louisiana and New England.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
As a single senior and not very handy, I still get lots of useful
information from this group.
So whats the story with the Heat Surge that I just saw an
infomercial about? Is it a scam? Does it actually save money? Has
anyone tried one? Thanks for any help.

Rip-off. It puts out as much heat at the same cost/btu as a $20
WalMart heater, but it will cost you $337+. It's is a lot prettier
though.
http://www.heatsurge.com/fireplaces/roll-n-glow.cfm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/6/2010 10:48 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
wrote in message

As a single senior and not very handy, I still get lots of useful
information from this group.
So whats the story with the Heat Surge that I just saw an
infomercial about? Is it a scam? Does it actually save money? Has
anyone tried one? Thanks for any help.

This sounds like a trade name for some undefined gadget
-- an electric heater? If you identify it with more detail you
may get useful replies. Sources like local newspapers sometimes
print reviews of how many thousand BTU you get per dollar from
competing sources (electricity, gas, etc.) at local prices. These
differ, e.g. in Louisiana and New England.

Seems all of the talking heads are pimping this with really convincing
well written scripts.

It is a cheap ChiCom heater that uses "new age infrared technology"
covered with an authentic "Amish made" mantle...

You will feel more comfortable just looking at the picture on the web site:

http://www.heatsurge.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 2:21*pm, wrote:
* * *As a single senior and not very handy, I still get lots of useful
information from this group.
* * * So whats the story with the Heat Surge that I just saw an
infomercial about? *Is it a scam? *Does it actually save money? * Has
anyone tried one? * *Thanks for any help.

It is pure bull****. You are just paying for a bit of fancy wood. I
feel sure you can get an infra-red heater for $20 at a local store.
Unless you're into the ersatz antique look that is.

What's happened to these Amish? I thought they rubbed sticks to
gether to keep warm. (Gathered that from "Witness". Part of my
Hollywood education)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 10:19:19 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

On Nov 6, 2:21*pm, wrote:
* * *As a single senior and not very handy, I still get lots of useful
information from this group.
* * * So whats the story with the Heat Surge that I just saw an
infomercial about? *Is it a scam? *Does it actually save money? * Has
anyone tried one? * *Thanks for any help.

It is pure bull****. You are just paying for a bit of fancy wood. I
feel sure you can get an infra-red heater for $20 at a local store.
Unless you're into the ersatz antique look that is.

Furniture is expensive. Good Amish furniture is quite expensive (though there
is nothing saying that this is "good").

What's happened to these Amish? I thought they rubbed sticks to
gether to keep warm. (Gathered that from "Witness". Part of my
Hollywood education)

Amish make furniture to stay warm. Amish aren't as backwards as Europeons
would like to think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There IS some benefit to this type of heater. I bought a Comfort
Furnace a few days ago. It is a clone of the Eden Pure but looks more
refined. After getting my great room warm in the morning with the
furnace (I keep it off at night), the unit will maintain a comfortable
level throughout the day. The outside temperature is in the thirties.
The ceiling fans are not needed. I have 30 days to try it and if I
don't like it it can be returned. So far I like it but the real test
will come when it gets colder. There is a slight warm spot directly in
front but there are no cold spots. My room is 22' X 30' with an 18'
cathedral ceiling. Last winter I used two "radiator type" heaters and I
had to run the two ceiling fans to bring the heat down.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote in
:

It is a cheap ChiCom heater that uses "new age infrared technology"
covered with an authentic "Amish made" mantle...

You will feel more comfortable just looking at the picture on the web
site:

http://www.heatsurge.com/

Back in the summer, newspapers and magazines carried full-page ads for
these things; they were dense with text and details, plus a photo of
authentic Amish in an authentic Amish woodshop making the authentic Amish
mantles for those cheap Red Chinese electric heaters.

I got the impression they were pitching primarily to retired people with
lots of time on their hands.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/6/2010 1:41 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 10:19:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Nov 6, 2:21 pm, wrote:
As a single senior and not very handy, I still get lots of useful
information from this group.
So whats the story with the Heat Surge that I just saw an
infomercial about? Is it a scam? Does it actually save money? Has
anyone tried one? Thanks for any help.

It is pure bull****. You are just paying for a bit of fancy wood. I
feel sure you can get an infra-red heater for $20 at a local store.
Unless you're into the ersatz antique look that is.

Furniture is expensive. Good Amish furniture is quite expensive (though there
is nothing saying that this is "good").

What's happened to these Amish? I thought they rubbed sticks to
gether to keep warm. (Gathered that from "Witness". Part of my
Hollywood education)

Amish make furniture to stay warm. Amish aren't as backwards as Europeons
would like to think.

They call us the English, because amongst themselves they speak a
German dialect.

For the most part the Amish rules are set locally, the main thing is
no connection to the outside world. They use electricity, but not off
the grid. Flashlights when I knew them had a 2 battery max rule. They
all had LED flashlights, they liked looking at pics on my digital.

Some Amish clans have gotten quite progressive, I ran across one
couple driving a nice pickup truck. I've seen others with digital
cameras, but this is not usual.

Some of the rules can be odd, the Amish I knew had to fell trees with
a handsaw, but they could cut them up with power tools back in the barn.
Go figure...

The Amish I knew had no particular woodworking skills. Nice people.
Mostly a tough life.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 6, 2:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Most things made by Amish people in the Lancaster area of PA are pieces
of crap. I suppose it's the ones that make their own rules that put out
poor products but they stamp everything "Made By Amish in Amish
Country", and suckers buy the crap. For a long time they made a lot of
mobile homes at a factory in the area, again crap. Traveling through
the Lancaster area you will find many Amish homes with electric and
phone lines, but there are also a good amount who aren't on the grid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 2:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

It varies, even locally. The place we bought our furniture, as you note, used
modern electric-powered woodworking tools but weren't attached to the grid.
They had a bank of diesel generators in the barn. They also used electric
lights. Other places used gas lights and farmed out the woodworking, mostly
to individuals, AIUI.

Some Amish clans have gotten quite progressive, I ran across one
couple driving a nice pickup truck. I've seen others with digital
cameras, but this is not usual.

Haven't seen them go that far, but the furniture place above does have a web
site, computers, calculators, and cell phones. Interetingly, they have
non-Amish do their deliveries.

Some of the rules can be odd, the Amish I knew had to fell trees with
a handsaw, but they could cut them up with power tools back in the barn.
Go figure...

The ones I knew drove to PA to get the lumber (They didn't grow much Cherry in
OH ;-).

The Amish I knew had no particular woodworking skills. Nice people.
Mostly a tough life.

Amish furniture is big business in Eastern Ohio. Nice stuff and not a whole
lot more expensive than decent store-bought stuff. The furniture we bought
will be handed down to the kids and probably theirs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 6, 2:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Eastern Ohio isn't like that at all. They make beautiful furniture, quilts,
and such. They also sell some Chinese and Indian crap in the tourist traps,
but the real Amish stores have *very* nice stuff. Our quilt/bedspread was
$1600, though. There was a two-year waiting list for custom made quilts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2010 8:51 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 18:21:45 -0500, Tony wrote:

On 11/19/2010 9:10 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
wrote:

On Nov 6, 2:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

I'm lucky my Mom was very good at quilting. I have 4 quilts that she
made for me (2 queen, 2 king size), and 2 small ones for watching tv.
They are of very high quality, not the finest, but very good. Sometimes
I hate to use them but Mom says they are made to be used! Anyway it's
nice to hear that some of the Amish still make quality things. I don't
suppose they have a web site? ;-)

Oh, a few years back a friend who uses only old reclaimed wood for his
"Farm Tables" and I went to see some Amish folk that took down an old
factory. He bought pine boards that varied from 12" to over 24" wide.
Stuff you can't buy new. Meanwhile in the Amish guys shop (the barn),
he had a little assembly line making dime a dozen wooden toys, using new
wood of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 6:48*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

* * As a single senior and not very handy, I still get lots of useful
information from this group.
* * *So whats the story with the Heat Surge that I just saw an
infomercial about? *Is it a scam? *Does it actually save money? * Has
anyone tried one? * *Thanks for any help.

[...]

Do not -- repeat -- do NOT buy ANYTHING
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Thies" wrote

Some of the rules can be odd, the Amish I knew had to fell trees with a
handsaw, but they could cut them up with power tools back in the barn. Go
figure...

The Amish I knew had no particular woodworking skills. Nice people.
Mostly a tough life.

Jeff

In some cases, the power is supplied by a generator, but not the grid.
There are some that are talented furniture makers, but like every slice of
life, some are not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

* * As a single senior and not very handy, I still get lots of useful
information from this group.
* * *So whats the story with the Heat Surge that I just saw an
infomercial about? *Is it a scam? *Does it actually save money? * Has
anyone tried one? * *Thanks for any help.

{...]

Do not -- repeat-- do NOT -- buy ANYTHING from an infomercial!

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 6, 2:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

The furniture place does. The place we bought the quilt is basically a
consignment store in Berlin or Walnut Creek (can't remember), so I don't think
they have a web site.

This is the place we bought our furnitu
http://www.greenacresfurniture.com/

Bedroom (cherry):
http://www.greenacresfurniture.com/c...collection=118

Diningroom (also in cherry):
http://www.greenacresfurniture.com/c...collection=117

Oh, a few years back a friend who uses only old reclaimed wood for his
"Farm Tables" and I went to see some Amish folk that took down an old
factory. He bought pine boards that varied from 12" to over 24" wide.
Stuff you can't buy new. Meanwhile in the Amish guys shop (the barn),
he had a little assembly line making dime a dozen wooden toys, using new
wood of course.

There are a ton of Amish furniture stores in the Walnut Creek area of Ohio.
Some, like Green Acres, have a factory behind them and others use local
craftsmen for various pieces. It's pretty much all special order. They do
sell stuff from out of the area, too, like rocking chairs from Vermont. That
area of Ohio is really interesting if you're into this sort of thing (and have
a lot of $$ to spend ;-). After I "retired" I contracted in Akron for a year,
so we had plenty of time to wander around the Amish area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 9:48*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

* * As a single senior and not very handy, I still get lots of useful
information from this group.
* * *So whats the story with the Heat Surge that I just saw an
infomercial about? *Is it a scam? *Does it actually save money? * Has
anyone tried one? * *Thanks for any help.

SCAM

It is the same as the $20 space heater from Wal Mart or Lowes, just in a
fancy case.

Yes, it will save money if you just heat the room you are in and let the
rest of the house be very cold. * If you want to live the winter in one
room, you may come out ahead. *1500 watts of heat is still 1500 watts of
heat be it from a cheap space heater or a fancy $300 one. *No more, no less.
Your choice.

While I agree that the Heat Surge is a way over priced product with
dubious marketing, not all electric heaters are the same. It's true
that for X kwh of electricity in, you always get Y btus out.
However, where those BTUS go and how you feel the heat can be very
different. For an example of that, just look at infrared heaters
that are used in places like outdoor cafes or near entrances to doors
in stores that stay open a lot. They keep you warm without heating
all the surrounding air.

That said, I agree you can find a similar heater that will do the same
job for a lot less. Their main marketing claims of drastically
reducing energy bills primarily takes advantage of spot heating one
area or room, while leaving the rest of the house at a much lower
temp. How practical that is depends a lot on your lifestyle and
living situation.

Also, IMO, nothing in that heater is any miracle of new technology.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2010 12:36 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 21:44:40 -0500, Tony wrote:

wrote:

On Nov 6, 2:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Maybe someday I can visit that area, it sounds nice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 6, 2:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

North Western Ohio is what I'm familiar with. Not the least touristy.
One family had a store next to his home, the rest would just sell on the
fly.

Mostly farmers, some kids would go off to work for others.

Some families did relatively well but mostly little money.

I had a friend who connected with them because he was looking for raw
milk and would visit often. One year I brought everyone gloves (a lot of
gloves) and socks. Those were some happy kids! Big Lots had some half
sized kerosene lamps which I also brought, the small kids took right to
them. Used to also bring AA batteries when I got them on sale.

I'm 700 miles away now and haven't seen them for a few years. I got
to know some of them quite well. We always had something to talk about.

Jeff