Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troubleshooting Electric Water Heater

Hello-
I was away from my winter home for about 3 months over the summer.
Before leaving, I shut off the power supply to the heater and shut off
the water supply to the house.
This year I did the same as always: When I returned I turned on
the water supply and checked to see if there was a steady stream from
both faucets at the sink closest to the tank as per manu instructions
so not to blow the elements. (Sink is about 6ft away.) The hot water
came up nicely, as usual.
Today (one day later) the water was cold. I pressed the high temp
overload button but was not sure it had popped out- the excursion is
so slight. A few minutes later the water started to heat.
There was voltage across the upper heating element, but none at
the bottom. Would anyone know if that is normal and does the lower
element only kick in when necessary? (If so, please define "when
necessary.")
After1/2 to one hour now the water is at full temp and the lower
element still has no volts, but I still wonder when the water is ice
cold the two don't come on at the same time. (Assuming this has
nothing to do therefore with why the water was cold to start with.)
Is the problem with the limit button or something else? (*NOTE* I
did see to make sure the retaining springs were pressing the
thermostats hard against the tank and while they did "rock" a little,
they seemed fine.) And should I wait to see if it happens again?
Thanks so much for your help!
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote in message
[...]

The average residential heater never has more than one set of elements on at
any given time due to the load involved. I only own two of them and I don't
recall the proper sequence for heating. I seem to recall it is series
wiring but don't hold me to that. Generally by the time I know I have a
problem both elements are dead and need replacing so I just but two and go.

I would wait and see on this one. If you continue to have hot water I would
do nothing.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't have a lot of experience with electric hot water heaters. But
one of the hot water heater elements has a sequencer. Probably the
top. If the top hot water heater element is satisfied, it sends the
power to the bottom element. Which heats or not, depending on the temp
of the stat. This is just from memory, and it's been a long time since
I worked on electric hot water heater. Your local hardware or plumbing
house likely has someone with more experience working on hot water
heater. Yes, I'm trolling also.

hot water heater
hot water heater
hot water heater