Ed

Default electric water heater

I am planning to replace my 40-gallon water heater and I want 80
gallon tank. I am living in VA. Plase give me advice - which tank
should I use. I don't want tankless - expensive and my family use
water all day long. Should I use GE, Marathon or something alse.
ED.
HaHaHa

From: Ed

I am planning to replace my 40-gallon water heater and I want 80
gallon tank. I am living in VA. Plase give me advice - which tank
should I use. I don't want tankless - expensive and my family use
water all day long. Should I use GE, Marathon or something alse.
ED.

Pick one that is the size, shape, and color you like.

Seriously. Here's a little secret about electric water heaters...

They all use pretty much the same electric heating elements. The only thing you
have to choose is the wattage, usually you can choose 3800 watts, or 4800
watts, or 5200 watts. Some models have a multi-tap double element on the lower
end which allows you to choose the wattage in the field.

Here's another secret - all direct resistive electric heating elements put out
the exact same amount of heat proportional to the wattage and your voltage, and
are all 100% efficient.

Because of these facts, and the fact that all electric water heaters
manufactured since the 80's have to be super insulated - and therefore lose
practically no heat (they're built like a thermos) it will not matter what
size, style, wattage, amperage, gallonage, or brand water heater you choose -
your electric bill will be exactly the same regardless.

So get the 80 gallon, since electric WHs are slower to recover than a gas model
you'd be better off having 80 gallons ready to supply whatever demand you have
in store for it.

I think your only real decision is how long a tank warranty you want to pay
for.

Ed

thanks a lot
Ed

On 07 Dec 2004 00:39:44 GMT, unkbloc (HaHaHa)

Don Lee

I bought a tank from Home Depot last year. There is a difference in
insulation as well as years of warranty. Generally, the more years of
warranty, the more the cost. Another thing, the insulation might be less
for larger tank....at least for the gas burning ones.

--

remove 'nospam' for correct email address
"Ed" wrote in message
thanks a lot
Ed

On 07 Dec 2004 00:39:44 GMT,
unkbloc (HaHaHa)

SQLit

"Ed" wrote in message
I am planning to replace my 40-gallon water heater and I want 80
gallon tank. I am living in VA. Plase give me advice - which tank
should I use. I don't want tankless - expensive and my family use
water all day long. Should I use GE, Marathon or something alse.
ED.

Changing from 40 to 80 WILL involve changing the piping. 80's are bigger and
taller.

Then you say no tankless, you already have decided that you want an 80
gallon unit so why bring this up? Tankless heat water on demand and would
meet your requirements.

How do you know you need and 80? Not enough hot water? Have you checked the
settings on the one you have? You might consider raising the temp on the
both elements and see if that helps. Remember the incoming water temp is
lower in the winter and takes longer to heat up.

AquaTherm Furnace - No Hot Water Issue David Home Repair 11 January 25th 18 09:44 PM
Problem with new water heater (electric) - please advice Robert Home Ownership 8 February 19th 04 06:27 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 02:15 AM
NO MORE hot water problems [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 29th 04 07:15 PM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, money HeatMan Home Repair 0 August 24th 03 01:26 PM