Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are Microwaves DYI Friendly?

Someone gave me a twenty-year old Sharp Carousel in cosmetically
perfect condition. The inside even smells new. The AC stuff and bells
and whistles are working. The turntable coupler (very tiny plastic
square plug that sits exactly center and connects the glass turntable
and turntable spindle to the underbelly...allowing the glass to
rotate) is broken. A replacement sells online for $10 shipped. I
searched to see if microwaves are worth repairing but couldn't find
anything, so I thought I'd post here.

Would a broken $10 coupler indicate problems with the microwave that
can't be seen? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2010 8:49 AM, Alls Quiet wrote:
Someone gave me a twenty-year old Sharp Carousel in cosmetically
perfect condition. The inside even smells new. The AC stuff and bells
and whistles are working. The turntable coupler (very tiny plastic
square plug that sits exactly center and connects the glass turntable
and turntable spindle to the underbelly...allowing the glass to
rotate) is broken. A replacement sells online for $10 shipped. I
searched to see if microwaves are worth repairing but couldn't find
anything, so I thought I'd post here.

Would a broken $10 coupler indicate problems with the microwave that
can't be seen? Thanks.

I'd remove the glass turntable and put a pyrex measuring cup of cold
water into the oven near the coupler and put the oven through a few
tests to make sure it is otherwise working normally. If so, I'd get the
part.

I had to replace a coupler a number of years ago on a 12 year old
Panasonic microwave that got heavy home use but was otherwise working
fine. I suspect that after years of use, the expansion and contraction
of the plastic from heating and cooling eventually caused a microscopic
flaw in the structure of the plastic to crack. Replacement for me was
as simple as gently pressing the new coupler straight down on the motor
shaft. The oven lasted another 3-4 years. I thought I had made a
decent investment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 11:04*am, Peter wrote:
On 11/3/2010 8:49 AM, Alls Quiet wrote: Someone gave me a twenty-year old Sharp Carousel in cosmetically
[...]

Depends on what it takes to install it. If it's a perfect drop in
that fits, then maybe. Otherwise I can't imagine screwing around
installing a 20 year old microwave. Just not worth it. Also newer
ones are more powerful, more efficient and not that expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 10:36:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Nov 3, 11:04Â*am, Peter wrote:
On 11/3/2010 8:49 AM, Alls Quiet wrote: Someone gave me a twenty-year old Sharp Carousel in cosmetically
perfect condition. The inside even smells new. The AC stuff and bells
and whistles are working. The turntable coupler (very tiny plastic
square plug that sits exactly center and connects the glass turntable
and turntable spindle to the underbelly...allowing the glass to
rotate) is broken. A replacement sells online for $10 shipped. I
searched to see if microwaves are worth repairing but couldn't find
anything, so I thought I'd post here.

Would a broken $10 coupler indicate problems with the microwave that
can't be seen? Thanks.

I'd remove the glass turntable and put a pyrex measuring cup of cold
water into the oven near the coupler and put the oven through a few
tests to make sure it is otherwise working normally. Â*If so, I'd get the
part.

I had to replace a coupler a number of years ago on a 12 year old
Panasonic microwave that got heavy home use but was otherwise working
fine. Â*I suspect that after years of use, the expansion and contraction
of the plastic from heating and cooling eventually caused a microscopic
flaw in the structure of the plastic to crack. Â*Replacement for me was
as simple as gently pressing the new coupler straight down on the motor
shaft. Â*The oven lasted another 3-4 years. Â*I thought I had made a
decent investment.

Depends on what it takes to install it. If it's a perfect drop in
that fits, then maybe. Otherwise I can't imagine screwing around
installing a 20 year old microwave. Just not worth it. Also newer
ones are more powerful, more efficient and not that expensive.

Only more eficient if they are inverter type. My 25 year old Quasar
is 1100 watts - not many new ones are more powerfull than that - and
mine is a full 1.5 cu ft.
Hard to find one that size today. It also has a rotating antenna - so
it does not need a rotary table for even cooking. Which means it will
take a 9X12 pan without any issues
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 3:06*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

I first tried Liquid Nails, but that didn't hold. Then I stepped up to
super-glue. The MW has worked swell for the past four months.

Thanks everybody! I fixed it with a new coupler. Works *really* well,
ten times better than a small unit I bought in 2007. Whoever said you
could use a microwave without the turntable--thanks for the reminder.
I didn't know if I could test it without the carousel rotating.

*Just a note to anyone in the same situation: make sure you insert the
coupler (which retails online and/or in "reality" for $10) with the
"overhanging lip" in the proper position. Otherwise, the plastic may
crack or at least experience a lot of stress. And no, you can't get it
cheaper online; you'll pay as much because online repair sites charge
$5 shipping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Plastic couplers wear out. I've got a floor model humidifier that
wears out a coupler. Yes, this is DYI (Do Yourself In) compatible. I'd
reccomend you buy and install the coupler.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Alls Quiet" wrote in message
Someone gave me a twenty-year old Sharp Carousel in cosmetically
perfect condition. The inside even smells new. The AC stuff and bells
and whistles are working. The turntable coupler (very tiny plastic
square plug that sits exactly center and connects the glass turntable
and turntable spindle to the underbelly...allowing the glass to
rotate) is broken. A replacement sells online for $10 shipped. I
searched to see if microwaves are worth repairing but couldn't find
anything, so I thought I'd post here.

Would a broken $10 coupler indicate problems with the microwave that
can't be seen? Thanks.

"Beepless" Microwaves? [email protected] Home Repair 37 November 8th 16 10:32 PM
Shielding from microwaves eric Electronics 2 May 25th 07 11:35 AM
Microwaves KTECH Home Repair 1 January 21st 06 03:20 AM
Microwaves Ed UK diy 4 November 26th 04 05:05 PM
Microwaves. mich UK diy 34 November 18th 03 09:10 AM