Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Shielding from microwaves

Hi, I am having a little microwave experiment, and I want to shield some
cracks from leaking microwaves. A pal said to me that a paper-type
called "mica" is used for such reasons in microwave ovens. Actually what
he told me is that it allows microwaves to pass through, but it blurs
them so as they are not focused as before.

Is it true, or does anyone know any better way to make leaking
microwaves less harmful (apart from Faraday cage, this is too hard for
me to make, I suppose).
Posted to alt.electronics

On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:34:26 +0300, eric wrote:

Hi, I am having a little microwave experiment, and I want to shield some
cracks from leaking microwaves. A pal said to me that a paper-type
called "mica" is used for such reasons in microwave ovens. Actually what
he told me is that it allows microwaves to pass through, but it blurs
them so as they are not focused as before.

And he had a straight face when he told you that?

Is it true,

Only in your friend's make belive world.

or does anyone know any better way to make leaking
microwaves less harmful (apart from Faraday cage, this is too hard for
me to make, I suppose).

You suppose? I don't. A Farady cage is the answer, basically.

OH, and mica is not a type of paper, either.

Posted to alt.electronics

On the web I came across references to Velostat. Does anyone know if it
absorbs microwaves and where may one get it from?

Shielding Electrical Ignition Noise from Oil Burner Vince Home Repair 2 October 1st 06 09:40 PM
Physics of lead shielding question Eric R Snow Metalworking 18 February 24th 06 02:32 PM
shielding rca/component video J Electronics Repair 16 February 6th 06 01:59 PM
Microwaves Ed UK diy 4 November 26th 04 05:05 PM
Microwaves. mich UK diy 34 November 18th 03 09:10 AM