Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Identify wire

My friend called me up to take a look at some wiring in his garage. He
had an arc in an outlet box and wanted me to check it out. the circut
had a 15 amp breaker, 4 15 amp outlets daisychained. Arc occured
because the backstab connection came lose and shorted against the box.
House was built in 1990. The thing that is a little strange to me is
that the supposedly 14 guage wire is a little small for 14 guage and
is brass colored. Ive never seen any like it. I took a look at a few
more outets around his house and apparently this type of wire was used
throughout his home. The one thing different I did notice in the rest
of the house was that the screws were used instead of the backstab
connections. Can you identify this type of wire and are there any
known saftey issues with using it.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
My friend called me up to take a look at some wiring in his garage. He
had an arc in an outlet box and wanted me to check it out. the circut
had a 15 amp breaker, 4 15 amp outlets daisychained. Arc occured
because the backstab connection came lose and shorted against the box.
House was built in 1990. The thing that is a little strange to me is
that the supposedly 14 guage wire is a little small for 14 guage and
is brass colored. Ive never seen any like it. I took a look at a few
more outets around his house and apparently this type of wire was used
throughout his home. The one thing different I did notice in the rest
of the house was that the screws were used instead of the backstab
connections. Can you identify this type of wire and are there any
known saftey issues with using it.

I know nothing about that wire, but I do know I would never use backstab
connections for house wiring. If the wire is really smaller, that would make
them even more unreliable than normal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
My friend called me up to take a look at some wiring in his garage. He
had an arc in an outlet box and wanted me to check it out. the circut
had a 15 amp breaker, 4 15 amp outlets daisychained. Arc occured
because the backstab connection came lose and shorted against the box.
House was built in 1990. The thing that is a little strange to me is
that the supposedly 14 guage wire is a little small for 14 guage and
is brass colored. Ive never seen any like it. I took a look at a few
more outets around his house and apparently this type of wire was used
throughout his home. The one thing different I did notice in the rest
of the house was that the screws were used instead of the backstab
connections. Can you identify this type of wire and are there any
known saftey issues with using it.

Jimmie

It might help to know what is written on the jacket of the cable. The copper
itself isn't always the same color or hardness, but the gauge should be
consistent

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 18:31:28 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
[...]

Saw a whole basement wired with copperclad iron telephone wire
(parallel conductor) back when I was househunting last - about 29
years ago. Called it to the attention of the broker.

Looked just like this Swedish stuff:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/hohtola/ham/killu/killu.html
Could not find an american or canadian reference.

It was available in 1mm and 1.4mm (aprox 18 ga and 14 ga respectively)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
My friend called me up to take a look at some wiring in his garage. He
had an arc in an outlet box and wanted me to check it out. the circut
had a 15 amp breaker, 4 15 amp outlets daisychained. Arc occured
because the backstab connection came lose and shorted against the box.
House was built in 1990. The thing that is a little strange to me is
that the supposedly 14 guage wire is a little small for 14 guage and
is brass colored. Ive never seen any like it. I took a look at a few
more outets around his house and apparently this type of wire was used
throughout his home. The one thing different I did notice in the rest
of the house was that the screws were used instead of the backstab
connections. Can you identify this type of wire and are there any
known saftey issues with using it.

Jimmie

Wire color can vary. Overheating caused by age, a loose connection and
overheating can add to that.

For a home built and inspected in 1990 I would not be unduly concerned.

This is about the time that the MFG learned how to spin the wire down to the
absolute 14G. It may appear smaller than what you are used to seeing since
many of the older wires were slightly oversized.

As always, proceed with caution.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 9:14*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

[...]

Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

Checked the wire size with a guage and compared it to new 14 guage
wire used to replace the old section( garage is unfinished). The old
wire was definitely smaller. The wasnt any legible writing on the wire
but appeared to be standard Romex type cable. One thought I had was
maybe it was a metric size. Dont really know if there is such a thing
as metric cable but just a guess.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/27/2010 6:15 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 18:31:28 -0400, wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

That is almost identical to what is/was used in The United States by
the phone companies. Copper clad steel wire pair in a black plastic
jacket. A wedge type hanger is used to grip the cable jacket when a
drop from the pole to a home is installed and the cable is self
supporting. There is a newer drop cable with the same rectangular cross
section that contains several twisted pairs for the newer telecom
equipment but I don't think it is as strong as the old cable.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/27/2010 9:39 PM, JIMMIE wrote:
On Oct 27, 9:14 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Could it be European or Asian Romex? I was in Thailand a few years
back and found Romex wiring used in the hotel where I was staying.
First, I couldn't believe that a commercial building used Romex and
second it looked like thermostat wire. I think it was something
like 16 gauge IIRC. I think they use a 7 amp 240 volt circuit like
we use 15 amp 120 volts in the US, for lighting circuits, etc.

But if it was 16 gauge, it would be wrong on a 15 amp circuit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 9:39*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Oct 27, 9:14*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

[...]

So, what gauge was it? You could also use a micrometer and then find
a table online to figure out the exact size. Also, since the whole
house is wired using it, isn't there a visible length somewhere with
markings on the jacket?

The wasnt any legible writing on the wire
but appeared to be standard Romex type cable. One thought I had was
maybe it was a metric size. Dont really know if there is such a thing
as metric cable but just a guess.

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

Stripping 40 AWG/45 SWG or finer magnet wire/enamelled copper wire? N_Cook Electronics Repair 22 May 13th 08 06:10 AM
el wire rope lighting electroluminescent FLEXIBLE NEON WIRE (KPT SERIES) [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 5th 06 10:14 PM
el wire rope lighting electroluminescent FLEXIBLE NEON WIRE (KPT SERIES) [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 5th 06 10:13 PM
Identify Wire? Dick Home Repair 10 October 22nd 05 05:53 PM
Help! need to identify a 3 ph transformer and wire it in. JohnF Metalworking 5 June 10th 05 04:59 PM