Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HF Multi-Tool -- Another reason I didn't know I needed one.

Broke down a month or two ago and bought their top of line multi-tool
with no clear reason why I needed it. It is the kind of tool that you
find good reasons for owning, as I have discovered several times since
purchase.

We are building a garden shed with a 1' overhang and hand-cut
rafters. I started boxing in the eves today. When I sighted down the
horizontal row of rafters I noticed the dufis who cut them (me) had
one hanging about 1/2" lower than the others. Moreover it cut was at
an angle. I could see myself standing on my head on the ladder trying
to cut it off with a hand saw. Then the light went on. Marked the cut
line and ran the tools narrow wood blade into the side of the rafter a
few times. In little more than one minute the wedge shaped chunk was
laying on the ground.

Also used it to trim the sheet siding on one end where it overhung the
adjoining side by about 1/4".

Love it.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 2:06*pm, RonB wrote:
[...]

Yep. Those oscillating tools are great. If Wiley Coyote had an Acme
Oscillating Tool, he would have been having a nice roadrunner dinner
in the first episode.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RonB wrote:

Broke down a month or two ago and bought their top of line multi-tool
with no clear reason why I needed it. It is the kind of tool that you
find good reasons for owning, as I have discovered several times since
purchase.

Yep-- the last time I reached for my cheapie version I wondered if
Fein has actually increased sales since HF has been introducing all us
cheap *******s to a really useful little tool. If I was 30 years
younger I'd be ogling a Fein for when my HF bites the dust.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 3:43*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Yep-- the last time I reached for my cheapie version I wondered if
Fein has actually increased sales since HF has been introducing all us
cheap *******s to a really useful little tool. * * *If I was 30 years
younger I'd be ogling a Fein for when my HF bites the dust. *

There's a lot of competition in the oscillating tool market.
Everybody and their brother has come out with one. HF being the least
expensive and the top of the line Fein Supercut at ~20x the cost of
the HF being the most expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 1:06*pm, RonB wrote:
[...]

You bought the tool and then figured out what to do with it? Good
work, that is a wise approach. I do it all the time. I still haven't
found a way to convince SWMBO of this philosophy though. She normally
needs a practical reason. But it's OK, I can normally BS one pretty
quickly. A female interviewer was once explaining to me how her
company tries to sell solutions rather than products, and to explain
her point she said "it's like with Home Depot, people don't buy a
drill because they want a drill - they do it because they want a
hole". I managed to restrain myself from saying "er....well I just
want a power tool, and I'll figure out what I'm going to do with it
later".
Posted to alt.home.repair

cubby wrote:

You bought the tool and then figured out what to do with it? Good
work, that is a wise approach. I do it all the time. I still haven't
found a way to convince SWMBO of this philosophy though. She normally
needs a practical reason. But it's OK, I can normally BS one pretty
quickly. A female interviewer was once explaining to me how her
company tries to sell solutions rather than products, and to explain
her point she said "it's like with Home Depot, people don't buy a
drill because they want a drill - they do it because they want a
hole". I managed to restrain myself from saying "er....well I just
want a power tool, and I'll figure out what I'm going to do with it
later".

Your female interviewer was a graduate of the Dale Carnegie Sales Course.
That's one of their favorite illustrations.

Yours truly,
Satisfied graduate

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

cubby wrote:
she said "it's like with Home Depot, people don't buy a drill because
they want a drill - they do it because they want a hole".

Your female interviewer was a graduate of the Dale Carnegie Sales
Course. That's one of their favorite illustrations.

Oddly enough, I got married for the exact same reason as buying the drill.

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 9:19*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
cubby wrote:

[...]

If you ever have to interview for a Sales position, you'd better know
the correct answer to this question:

"What does Starbucks sell?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Sivori" wrote in message
news
HeyBub wrote:

cubby wrote:
she said "it's like with Home Depot, people don't buy a drill because
they want a drill - they do it because they want a hole".

Your female interviewer was a graduate of the Dale Carnegie Sales
Course. That's one of their favorite illustrations.

Oddly enough, I got married for the exact same reason as buying the drill.

Except if you got the right wife, you ackshooly got a three-fer, hole-wise.
--
EA

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Your female interviewer was a graduate of the Dale Carnegie Sales
Course. That's one of their favorite illustrations.

Yours truly,
Satisfied graduate

If you ever have to interview for a Sales position, you'd better know
the correct answer to this question:

"What does Starbucks sell?"

Good question. I don't know. Last time I ordered anything at Starbucks, I
asked for Folger's Instant.

"Uh, we don't have that," said the lady with not much metal on her face.

"Then gimmie the closest thing you've got."

I ultimately got a cup of a dark, black, liquid. I still don't know what it
was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Your female interviewer was a graduate of the Dale Carnegie Sales
Course. That's one of their favorite illustrations.

Yours truly,
Satisfied graduate

If you ever have to interview for a Sales position, you'd better know
the correct answer to this question:

"What does Starbucks sell?"

Good question. I don't know. Last time I ordered anything at
Starbucks, I asked for Folger's Instant.

"Uh, we don't have that," said the lady with not much metal on her
face.

"Then gimmie the closest thing you've got."

I ultimately got a cup of a dark, black, liquid. I still don't know
what it was.

Was there a Jiffy Lube nearby?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 7:23*pm, cubby wrote:
*I do it all the time. *I still haven't
found a way to convince SWMBO of this philosophy though. *She normally
needs a practical reason.

After 43 years of marriage and several home projects including
building our current home (ongoing effort), my wife is usually
supportive. She is a farm girl, from very humble beginnings, who grew
up in a family who figured out how to get things done.

Get this: After all of the mess, dust and work related to trimming
our new home, she INSISTED I go to Springfield and pick up a new
Grizzly dust collection system. If that ain't enough, she also
insisted on replacing my old suitcase Ryobi surface planer with a new
Grizzly 15" machine. The old planer was old, and took a pretty good
beating in recent years. She decided "we" needed one.

She did this in spite of being fairly frugal.

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

cubby wrote:
she said "it's like with Home Depot, people don't buy a drill because
they want a drill - they do it because they want a hole".

Your female interviewer was a graduate of the Dale Carnegie Sales
Course. That's one of their favorite illustrations.

Oddly enough, I got married for the exact same reason as buying the
drill.

Except if you got the right wife, you ackshooly got a three-fer,
hole-wise.

And I would have stayed married.

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 8:29*am, RonB wrote:

After 43 years of marriage and several home projects including
building our current home (ongoing effort), my wife is usually
supportive. *She is a farm girl, from very humble beginnings, who grew
up in a family who figured out how to get things done.

Get this: *After all of the mess, dust and work related to trimming
our new home, she INSISTED I go to Springfield and pick up a new
Grizzly dust collection system. *If that ain't enough, she also
insisted on replacing my old suitcase Ryobi surface planer with a new
Grizzly 15" machine. *The old planer was old, and took a pretty good
beating in recent years. *She decided "we" needed one.

She did this in spite of being fairly frugal.

Well, 43 years and she makes you get tools...I guess she's a keeper.
But don't jump into things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

cubby wrote:
she said "it's like with Home Depot, people don't buy a drill because
they want a drill - they do it because they want a hole".

Your female interviewer was a graduate of the Dale Carnegie Sales
Course. That's one of their favorite illustrations.

Oddly enough, I got married for the exact same reason as buying the
drill.

Except if you got the right wife, you ackshooly got a three-fer,
hole-wise.

And I would have stayed married.

I hear dat....
--
EA

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to alt.home.repair

That was probably drain cleaner.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

"What does Starbucks sell?"

Good question. I don't know. Last time I ordered anything at
Starbucks, I
asked for Folger's Instant.

"Uh, we don't have that," said the lady with not much metal on her
face.

"Then gimmie the closest thing you've got."

I ultimately got a cup of a dark, black, liquid. I still don't know
what it
was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HF Multi-Tool -- And now, Starbucks jokes

Your reply was better.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

Good question. I don't know. Last time I ordered anything at
Starbucks, I asked for Folger's Instant.

"Uh, we don't have that," said the lady with not much metal on her
face.

"Then gimmie the closest thing you've got."

I ultimately got a cup of a dark, black, liquid. I still don't know
what it was.

Was there a Jiffy Lube nearby?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 8:10*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
That was probably drain cleaner.

For sure would have tasted better than their..umm...coffee? Is that
what that crud is supposed to be?

snip

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:iac3s5
:

Your reply was better.

I accept the prize but do want to share it with EA who I agree with on this
noble occasion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/27/2010 7:19 PM, Red Green wrote:
wrote in
m:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Your female interviewer was a graduate of the Dale Carnegie Sales
Course. That's one of their favorite illustrations.

Yours truly,
Satisfied graduate

If you ever have to interview for a Sales position, you'd better know
the correct answer to this question:

"What does Starbucks sell?"

Good question. I don't know. Last time I ordered anything at
Starbucks, I asked for Folger's Instant.

"Uh, we don't have that," said the lady with not much metal on her
face.

"Then gimmie the closest thing you've got."

I ultimately got a cup of a dark, black, liquid. I still don't know
what it was.

Was there a Jiffy Lube nearby?

(replying in original thread because I don't feel like repairing the
latest Stormy-mangled post in the thread branch.)

Only time I go to Charbucks is when I am with somebody else and they
insist on it. I find their coffees to taste burned, and their prices
excessive for inferior product. Quite frankly, Dunkin'Donuts and even
Mickey D's pour a better tasting cup. Pretentious yuppie twits.

--
aem sends...

HF Multitool - Another reason I didn't know I needed one RonB[_2_] Woodworking 8 October 27th 10 05:14 AM
HF Multi-tool Lobby Dosser[_3_] Woodworking 0 July 11th 10 03:09 AM
Multi-tool Mk. I DGDevin Woodworking 3 January 30th 10 09:18 PM
Tip for Bosch PMF Multi Tool The Medway Handyman UK diy 23 September 27th 08 03:35 PM
Reason to unplug a tool!! Salmo Woodworking 11 September 29th 06 01:08 PM