Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buried Cable

Evidently my neighbors Comcast cable went out and Comcast ran a
temporary line on top of the ground for him. The cable runs diagonally
through my backyard. I don't have a problem with my neighbor or
Comcast nor do I plan on digging in the backyard so I may just let
them bury it where it stands but...........I can't predict the future
and what I do today may effect me later.

If I let the routing of the cable stay am I liable for damaging the
cable in the future?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Evidently my neighbors Comcast cable went out and Comcast ran a
temporary line on top of the ground for him. The cable runs diagonally
through my backyard. I don't have a problem with my neighbor or
Comcast nor do I plan on digging in the backyard so I may just let
them bury it where it stands but...........I can't predict the future
and what I do today may effect me later.

If I let the routing of the cable stay am I liable for damaging the
cable in the future?

There would have to be a utility easement if it was not servicing your
property only.
If you knowingly let them bury it you may be granting that easement.

On the other hand you can drive Comcast crazy and may convince them to move
it on their own without you making a fuss.
Just call them every couple of weeks and tell them you plan to do some yard
work and should come out and make their cable with flags so that you will
not cut it.
Or you could "accidentally" cut it wit a spade every so often. Your neighbor
will make sure the line is moved.

This does not constitute legal advice. I do not have a law license, just a
license to gently aggravate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Evidently my neighbors Comcast cable went out and Comcast ran a
temporary line on top of the ground for him. The cable runs diagonally
through my backyard. I don't have a problem with my neighbor or
Comcast nor do I plan on digging in the backyard so I may just let
them bury it where it stands but...........I can't predict the future
and what I do today may effect me later.

If I let the routing of the cable stay am I liable for damaging the
cable in the future?

Unless the installer who comes out for the permanent cable is a complete
moron they will pull it back to the proper easement area.

The temp is just that a temp. Even that should not be run anywhere but
along a utility easement. Utility easement are usually the back 10-15 feet
of a yard and some places add a 2-3 foot one along the side yards for house
drops only.

If it is in the easement and you cut it then you bought it. Otherwise I
think you could argue the point though most areas now have a call before you
dig law.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 3:41*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

I marked with a painted stripe on the ground where I wanted Comcast to
place their line on my property to service my house, and the
(*@*&(@&*_@#$ idiots couldn't even get that right. Of course, they
didn't speak English so I couldn't argue with them.

Now I am fighting to not have to pay a franchise fee to the nearest
town, the franchise fee is on my monthly bill, even though I live
outside the City of Naperville, IL limits, my bill says I am paying
$3.50 each month to the City. I have started not paying the franchise
fee, and we'll see how long it takes them to do something. I can
furnish them my tax bill, but no one at Comcast seems to give a damn,
they all say it is not their department's responsibility..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Evidently my neighbors Comcast cable went out and Comcast ran a
temporary line on top of the ground for him. The cable runs diagonally
through my backyard. I don't have a problem with my neighbor or
Comcast nor do I plan on digging in the backyard so I may just let
them bury it where it stands but...........I can't predict the future
and what I do today may effect me later.

If I let the routing of the cable stay am I liable for damaging the
cable in the future?

In my neck of the woods a utility company needs an easement to run across
any property that's not the recipient of the service

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 4:05*pm, wrote:
Evidently my neighbors Comcast cable went out and Comcast ran a
temporary line on top of the ground for him. The cable runs diagonally
through my backyard. I don't have a problem with my neighbor or
Comcast nor do I plan on digging in the backyard so I may just let
them bury it where it stands but...........I can't predict the future
and what I do today may effect me later.

If I let the routing of the cable stay am I liable for damaging the
cable in the future?

As others say, they need an easment but they could have it depending
how your property is laid out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 5:08*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Oct 19, 3:41*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

[...]

they all say it is not their department's responsibility..- Hide quoted text -

"I have started not paying the franchise fee, and we'll see how
long it takes them to do something"

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm willing to play one on the webernet.

As far as rental payments for an apartment are concerned, you can't
just stop paying even if the landlord is not adhereing to the terms of
the lease. It's the old "two wrongs don't make a right" rule.

If the current rules state that you are subject to the fee *at this
time* then even if you get them eliminated in the future - and even if
they make the elimination retroactive to some point in the past - you
could still be liable for any penalties associated with the non-
payments.

Lots of people have served time for doing things that are no longer
illegal because they were illegal at the time they did them.

It's sometimes safer - and possibly cheaper - to continue to pay the
fees and then negotiate a settlement once it's officially decided that
you shouldn't be paying them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 12:43*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 19, 5:08*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Oct 19, 3:41*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

[...]

you shouldn't be paying them.- Hide quoted text -

I got the paperwork together today and it goes in the mail tomorrow.
At most I will be a few bucks in arrears for one month's billing
period. My contacts at the Naperville City Hall say that Comcast has
to resolve the complaint in less than 69 days. I will let everyone
know what happens in a separate post.

How much oil in a buried tank starrin Home Repair 27 December 31st 09 12:14 AM
finding a buried A/C cable Jud McCranie[_2_] Home Repair 38 September 17th 08 03:30 PM
How to fix exterior buried coax cable? CraigT[_2_] Home Repair 21 September 1st 08 04:00 PM
Buried power lines WDS Home Ownership 8 September 23rd 07 07:26 PM
Trying to repair pipe buried. Noel Home Repair 1 January 14th 05 09:38 PM