Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie[_7_] Charlie[_7_] is offline

Default Buried Cable

wrote in message
Evidently my neighbors Comcast cable went out and Comcast ran a
temporary line on top of the ground for him. The cable runs diagonally
through my backyard. I don't have a problem with my neighbor or
Comcast nor do I plan on digging in the backyard so I may just let
them bury it where it stands but...........I can't predict the future
and what I do today may effect me later.

If I let the routing of the cable stay am I liable for damaging the
cable in the future?

There would have to be a utility easement if it was not servicing your
property only.
If you knowingly let them bury it you may be granting that easement.

On the other hand you can drive Comcast crazy and may convince them to move
it on their own without you making a fuss.
Just call them every couple of weeks and tell them you plan to do some yard
work and should come out and make their cable with flags so that you will
not cut it.
Or you could "accidentally" cut it wit a spade every so often. Your neighbor
will make sure the line is moved.

This does not constitute legal advice. I do not have a law license, just a
license to gently aggravate.