Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slow Microwave Clock

On 10/19/2010 5:53 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:

On Oct 19, 2:31 pm, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 10/19/2010 1:48 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

A few months ago I bought a new Westinghouse WST3501 microwave oven
for
our office "eating area".

The oven itself works fine, but we're annoyed by the time of day clock
losing a couple of minutes a day and having to be reset to the correct
time every few days.

I've never seen this happen on several other microwave ovens I've
had in
the office or at home, it's like the clock in this one isn't
synchronized to the 60 Hz line. Other line voltage operated clocks in
our office keep the correct time, unless there's a power failure and
they don't have a battery backup in them.

I'm guessing that the electronics in this "made in China" oven were
designed to run on 50 or 60 Hz power, with just a different power
transformer installed in 230 volt models. And, the clock is timed
from a
poorly tuned and/or temperature sensitive crystal oscillator, not the
line frequency.

I e-mailed Westinghouse about this but they put me off to "Fox
International" who thusfar hasn't answered my e-mail about it.

Not an earth shaking problem by any means, but my curious mind
wants to
know what's really going on with the clock function in that oven.

I'd just as soon put a pice of tape over the readout and fughedit,
but I
can't do that because it's needed for the cooking functions too.G.

Jeff

There could be a jumper on the control board to set 50 or 60 cycle
power
as a time base. I've seen new equipment arrive with the wrong country
power plug installed. Products manufactured for the Southern Hemisphere
need electrons that spin in the opposite direction to work properly.
You
may be able to obtain an electron spin converter if that's the problem.

TDD

I actually thought about a jumper, but if there is one and it's set for
50 Hz operation that damn clock would gain 12 minutes PER HOUR, which
thank G_d it isn't.

Re the spin converter, is it based on something like this?

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/harm.html

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I'd hate to see what she will look like when she is 70 or 80 years
old, she'll need a wheelbarrow.

Maybe she'll look something like the "older" pix here?

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/j.../jefflost.html

Jeff

Back when I was in the Hippies about four decades ago, girls were not
getting tattoos like today, it wasn't a common sight. A guy might get
one earring like a pirate but not the body piercings that are common
in this century. Tattoos didn't become a fad until all the movie and
pop music stars started all that nonsense. I wonder what the children
of the extreme body modification crowd are going to do to shock their
physically modified parents? Perhaps the little tykes will become
extreme, button down, super religious, Republican Conservatives? 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Oct 2010 22:52:27 GMT, Gary H wrote:

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:30:58 -0500, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

[snip]

Television? Real time? How do you skip commercials?

Look away from the screen and do something else.

That doesn't do the whole job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter wrote:

The key to
successful relationships with women who are important to you is to let
them have their way

You also have to let them win EVERY argument, even when they are
wrong, especially when they are wrong.
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.