Posted to alt.home.repair

Default EdenPURE Gen4

What a crock of bull. They say it will save you money; HA!
1.5 kw is 1500 watts and if you run it all the time it will be about $70
a month if your kilowatt rate is 6 cents. If it's 12 cents it's $140 a
month. They say you can save money by turning your thermostat down to 55
or 60 and use the heater in one room you normally spend all your time
in. Bob Villa backs it. What a crock. $800 to $1600 a year don't save
you crap. What a lier.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

It won't put out any more heat than a 35 dollar oil filled "radiator".
At least they offer a money back guarantee.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/10 10:27 am, LSMFT wrote:

What a crock of bull. They say it will save you money; HA!
1.5 kw is 1500 watts and if you run it all the time it will be about $70
a month if your kilowatt rate is 6 cents. If it's 12 cents it's $140 a
month. They say you can save money by turning your thermostat down to 55
or 60 and use the heater in one room you normally spend all your time
in. Bob Villa backs it. What a crock. $800 to $1600 a year don't save
you crap. What a lier.

I happened to catch the end of an EdenPure infomercial the other day.
Some guy was displaying the new gas meter that his gas co. installed
because he was using so little gas they thought the old meter had gone bad.

Yeah, right!

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 7:27*am, LSMFT wrote:
What a crock of bull. They say it will save you money; HA!
1.5 kw is 1500 watts and if you run it all the time it will be about $70
a month if your kilowatt rate is 6 cents. If it's 12 cents it's $140 a
month. They say you can save money by turning your thermostat down to 55
or 60 and use the heater in one room you normally spend all your time
in. Bob Villa backs it. What a crock. $800 to $1600 a year don't save
you crap. What a lier.

--
LSMFT

Don't involve me in this...his name is "Bob Vila".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 3:27*pm, LSMFT wrote:
What a crock of bull. They say it will save you money; HA!
1.5 kw is 1500 watts and if you run it all the time it will be about $70
a month if your kilowatt rate is 6 cents. If it's 12 cents it's $140 a
month. They say you can save money by turning your thermostat down to 55
or 60 and use the heater in one room you normally spend all your time
in. Bob Villa backs it. What a crock. $800 to $1600 a year don't save
you crap. What a lier.

--
LSMFT

Liar that would be. Unless US spelling has deviated further than I
thought.

What you need to realise is that the amount of energy you use depends
on the temperature DIFFERENCE between inside your house and out.
So let's say for example the outside temp is 30 deg and the inside
temperature is 70 deg, the difference is 40deg,
So if you turn your thermostat down by 10 deg, you would save a
quarter of your fuel bill.
Because 10 deg is a quarter of 40 deg.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:27:03 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

What a crock of bull. They say it will save you money; HA!
1.5 kw is 1500 watts and if you run it all the time it will be about $70
a month if your kilowatt rate is 6 cents. If it's 12 cents it's $140 a
month. They say you can save money by turning your thermostat down to 55
or 60 and use the heater in one room you normally spend all your time
in. Bob Villa backs it. What a crock. $800 to $1600 a year don't save
you crap. What a lier.

Well, yes, it's crap. But there is truth to the claim that if you turn
down the thermostat for the whole house, and only keep one room warm
with their heater, it is possible you will save some money. The rest
of your house, however will be COLD. You also increase the risk of
frozen pipes bursting. Yes, I realize that pipes won't freeze at 55
degrees. However, pipes in poorly insulated areas that are normally
held only slightly above freezing when the house is heated to 70, may
drop below freezing if the house is at 55.

Not to mention problems with mold growing on the cold walls in the rooms
that you do not heat properly. The moisture in the house will be condensing
on the cold walls, possibly causing water stains, dampness and providing a
medium for mold to grow on. I live in a northern climate, and my gas bill is
under $700.00 a year for heating, water heating and cooking. Most neighbors
have bills of double this because they do not have high efficiency furnaces
nor water heaters. I don't need to fool myself into thinking I can save more
money on heating by using such an electric heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Well, yes, it's crap. But there is truth to the claim that if you turn
down the thermostat for the whole house, and only keep one room warm
with their heater, it is possible you will save some money. The rest
of your house, however will be COLD.

Absolutely, You can do it with a $25 heater from Wal Mart too

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 12:39*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

Well, yes, it's crap. But there is truth to the claim that if you turn
down the thermostat for *the whole house, and only keep one room warm
with their heater, it is possible you will save some money. The rest
of your house, however will be COLD.

Absolutely, *You can do it with a $25 heater from Wal Mart too

Or you can turn on a lot of lights in the room you are using
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:06:39 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:
So if you turn your thermostat down by 10 deg, you would save a
quarter of your fuel bill.
Because 10 deg is a quarter of 40 deg.

Not correct. Heat flow is proportional to some power 1 of the
temperature difference. It's been too many years since I knew and I'm
too lazy to look it up tonight. But reducing the temp diff by 1/4 will
save a lot more than 1/4 of the energy use and thus of the bill.

Edward

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 1:31*pm, harry wrote:

wrote:

So if you turn your thermostat down by 10 deg, you would save a
quarter of your fuel bill.
Because 10 deg is a quarter of 40 deg.

Not correct. Heat flow is proportional to some power 1 of the
temperature difference. It's been too many years since I knew and I'm
too lazy to look it up tonight. But reducing the temp diff by 1/4 will
save a lot more than 1/4 of the energy use and thus of the bill.

Edward

You're wrong.

Harry is mostly correct on this one. The rate of heat loss from a
closed system is proportional to the temperature difference. Cut the
differential in half and you cut the heat loss rate in half. If you
have a sealed tank with water at 70, it will take twice as much heat
input to keep it at 110 as it would to keep it at 90. However, a
house isn't closed. Not only do you lose heat through the walls,
ceiling, etc. you also lose some heat due to air leakage. But
overall, I'd say Harry;s estimate is in the ballpark.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:36:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Harry is mostly correct on this one. The rate of heat loss from a
closed system is proportional to the temperature difference.

Sorry, yes, you're right -- for conduction.

For radiation, the transfer rate is proportional to the difference
between the fourth powers of the temperatures:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...stefan.html#c2

So with good insulation in the case under discussion, with most of the
heat interchange being conductive, the total interchange is close to
directly proportional.

However, most wall systems do involve some radiative transfer too, and
walls with no insulation will have quite significant radiative
transfer. However, I don't know just how much.

Edward
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 4:08*am, Edward Reid
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:36:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Harry is mostly correct on this one. * The rate of heat loss from a
closed system is proportional to the temperature difference.

Sorry, yes, you're right -- for conduction.

For radiation, the transfer rate is proportional to the difference
between the fourth powers of the temperatures:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...stefan.html#c2

So with good insulation in the case under discussion, with most of the
heat interchange being conductive, the total interchange is close to
directly proportional.

However, most wall systems do involve some radiative transfer too, and
walls with no insulation will have quite significant radiative
transfer. However, I don't know just how much.

Edward

Walls with no insulation?????!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, "SaltyDog" is correct. You could save money on your oil bill or
natural gas if you turn the thermostat down to like 50 degrees or
something, and use the electric "EdenPure" for single room heating, but
yeah then the rest of the rooms in your house are going to be ICE
COLD!!!

Have fun catching pneumonia when you take a hot shower, and then step
out into a 40 to 50 degree bathroom!!! But of course good ole' Bob Villa
doesn't tell us that!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote in :

What a crock of bull. They say it will save you money; HA!
1.5 kw is 1500 watts and if you run it all the time it will be about $70
a month if your kilowatt rate is 6 cents. If it's 12 cents it's $140 a
month. They say you can save money by turning your thermostat down to 55
or 60 and use the heater in one room you normally spend all your time
in. Bob Villa backs it. What a crock. $800 to $1600 a year don't save
you crap. What a lier.

... Bob Villa backs it.

You misunderstand what that means. It's a legal disclaimer. Like the
Microsoft logo...a warning label.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, I just caught the end of the infomercial this morning, and it's
near the end, when Bob Villa talks to the "Home Improvement" guy about
"zone heating", and turning your thermostat down to save cash $$$$. They
show a diagram of all the rooms in the house, and the room with the
"EdenPure" is bright Red, and the rest of the rooms in the house are Ice
Cold Blue in color!!!! LOL!!!!

I think it's right before the biker guy talks about his "brand, shiny
new gas meter".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 11:41*am, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
Yeah, I just caught the end of the infomercial this morning, and it's
near the end, when Bob Villa talks to the "Home Improvement" guy about
"zone heating", and turning your thermostat down to save cash $$$$. They
show a diagram of all the rooms in the house, and the room with the
"EdenPure" is bright Red, and the rest of the rooms in the house are Ice
Cold Blue in color!!!! LOL!!!!

I think it's right before the biker guy talks about his "brand, shiny
new gas meter".

Again...Ms. and fellas, it's "Bob Vila" that is the shill here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess the "EdenPure" has competition now too because this morning I
saw the last few minutes of some kind of electric, portable fake
fireplace built by Amish people, and the people in that infomercial
claim that they save money on their heating bills too, because they can
turn the thermostat down, and stay warm in the room that the heater is
in.

Yeah, and once again, the rest of the house is ICE COLD!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can try the EdenPure FREE. They offer a money back trial. You
would have to pay the return shipping. The secret to taking a shower is
to keep a small portable heater (oil filled radiator) in the bathroom
and run it for an hour before the shower. Or, get a unit that fits in
the dryer hose that deflects dryer heat into the room.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 7:27*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:

Or, get a unit that fits in
the dryer hose that deflects dryer heat into the room.

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

....and make sure it's an electric clothes dryer! *L*

Posted to alt.home.repair

The name of the fake fireplace in the infomercial is called "The Heat
Surge". It is suppose to be an electric portable fireplace that you can
move room-to-room. It is built by some Amish people, and like the
"EdenPure" they too have a free trial offer, where you only pay shipping
costs or something like that?

The infomercial is just like the "EdenPure" one, where they talk about
"zone heating" and how you can crank the thermostat down to like 20, but
remain nice and toasty warm in the room that your fake fireplace is in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The infomercial is just like the "EdenPure" one, where they talk about
"zone heating" and how you can crank the thermostat down to like 20, but
remain nice and toasty warm in the room that your fake fireplace is in.

A mylar reflective space blanket, down coat, duofold underwear, heavy socks
and boots, mittens, and wool cap help, too.

Somewhat.

Steve