Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default EdenPURE Gen4

wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:27:03 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

What a crock of bull. They say it will save you money; HA!
1.5 kw is 1500 watts and if you run it all the time it will be about $70
a month if your kilowatt rate is 6 cents. If it's 12 cents it's $140 a
month. They say you can save money by turning your thermostat down to 55
or 60 and use the heater in one room you normally spend all your time
in. Bob Villa backs it. What a crock. $800 to $1600 a year don't save
you crap. What a lier.

Well, yes, it's crap. But there is truth to the claim that if you turn
down the thermostat for the whole house, and only keep one room warm
with their heater, it is possible you will save some money. The rest
of your house, however will be COLD. You also increase the risk of
frozen pipes bursting. Yes, I realize that pipes won't freeze at 55
degrees. However, pipes in poorly insulated areas that are normally
held only slightly above freezing when the house is heated to 70, may
drop below freezing if the house is at 55.

Not to mention problems with mold growing on the cold walls in the rooms
that you do not heat properly. The moisture in the house will be condensing
on the cold walls, possibly causing water stains, dampness and providing a
medium for mold to grow on. I live in a northern climate, and my gas bill is
under $700.00 a year for heating, water heating and cooking. Most neighbors
have bills of double this because they do not have high efficiency furnaces
nor water heaters. I don't need to fool myself into thinking I can save more
money on heating by using such an electric heater.