Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Propane regulator

I have a standard barbecue propane regulator. Upon putting soapy water, a
tiny bit of bubbles comes from where the plastic crank on "nut" is on the
shaft that goes into the port on the bottle. I looked behind there, and it
looks like the washer is split. I don't think it's supposed to be. The
"nut" is threaded and could come off with some care. Is this worth
rebuilding, should I take it to my local small town propane supplier for
repairs, or just pay $17 for a new one? It's time to take my Vermont
Castings apart anyway. It has two loose igniter wires, and needs a good
power washing. Just thought I'd fix everything while I am at it.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 11:20*am, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

If it were a lock washer wouldn't it look split?

Or is that not the type of split you mean?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

reply:

Imagine taking the regulator off the tank with your hand using that big
black poly nut that they use now to hook them up. The brass fitting sticks
out like a mushroom. The black nut slides on the stem of the mushroom.
Looking back to where the nut slides on the brass tube, there looks like a
vinyl washer. It is impossible to see it clearly without total disassembly.
It is the same washer used in lots of applications that is plastic or some
synthetic, and are usually one piece. This has a spot where there is a
split in it, and I don't think it should be there. I guess the best way to
describe the washer would be "packing" instead of washer, but it does not
squeeze into a wedge shaped area, rather is spread over two flat mated
surfaces. Just like the flat "washer" in a CO2 regulator mates the flat
brass faces. If you have a regulator like this, just take it off and look
inside the poly nut and how it slides on that shaft.

The poly nut is threaded, so it can be disassembled. I am going to take it
to my supplier Monday, and he will be able to tell me in a second, maybe
even fix it. But I don't want to take it apart until I know if it can be
fixed, what type of LocTite or whatever to reassemble with, etc., and I
figured someone here would know.

Thanks.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 12:26*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

*http://cabgbypasssurgery.com- Hide quoted text -

I can check my regulator when I get home in a few hours. I'll take a
look and see what I see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your propane guys probably do this many times a year. I'd call and ask
them. Sadly, many things are cheaper to pitch out and replace. Such as
cell phones. I like supporting small business.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I just checked mine and as far as I can tell there is no washer. There
is a raised area that slides along the brass tube, which is the same
diameter as the mushroom head, but as far as I can tell it's molded as
part of the "big black poly nut".

I stuck a thin knife down along the bass tube and the raised area
appears to as solid as, and part of, the "big black poly nut".

My grill is a BBQ grillware, available (AFAIK) only at Lowes, so maybe
VC grills have a different regulator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

I can check my regulator when I get home in a few hours. I'll take a
look and see what I see.

Save your time. A call to my propane supplier today revealed that if they
fix it according to government requirements, it will cost $30. If I go buy
a new one, it is $16.

I sleep so much better at night, and feel more secure during the day because
I can see that my government is watching out for me.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's for the children!

What would we ever do without government? (Well, we'd have to smile,
wave and take turns at intersections. We could hire and fire the
people who actually did useful work. We could repair our own cars, and
...... hey, that doesn't sound too bad!)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

news