Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Large wattage CFL with small base

I am looking for a high wattage CFL with a min-candelabra base. I have
found 40 and 60 watt equivalent ones, but they are sadly very dim. This
is for a small ceiling fan light that takes 2 such lamps. The lamps are
behind a amber/white tinted bowl. I figured that daylight CFLs might
give a little more light as the bowl would filter the light to look
more like incandescent ... but no, it looks real weird and is still dim.
I was going to try the so-called full-spectrum units, but I don't
think, without getting a larger wattage, it's going to matter. BTW,
I've Googled this and found 1, but it was a daylight lamp and cost $18 a
pop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2010 3:50 PM, Art Todesco wrote:
I am looking for a high wattage CFL with a min-candelabra base. I have
found 40 and 60 watt equivalent ones, but they are sadly very dim. This
is for a small ceiling fan light that takes 2 such lamps. The lamps are
behind a amber/white tinted bowl. I figured that daylight CFLs might
give a little more light as the bowl would filter the light to look more
like incandescent ... but no, it looks real weird and is still dim. I
was going to try the so-called full-spectrum units, but I don't think,
without getting a larger wattage, it's going to matter. BTW, I've
Googled this and found 1, but it was a daylight lamp and cost $18 a pop.

If you wanted to do a modification, I saw a CFL the size of a football
when I was at Light Bulb Depot. I think it was an 80watt lamp but it
has a standard Edison base.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 4:50*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
I am looking for a high wattage CFL with a min-candelabra base. *I have
found 40 and 60 watt equivalent ones, but they are sadly very dim. *This
is for a small ceiling fan light that takes 2 such lamps. *The lamps are
behind a amber/white tinted bowl. *I figured that daylight CFLs might
give a little more light as *the bowl would filter the light to look
more like incandescent ... but no, it looks real weird and is still dim.
* I was going to try the so-called full-spectrum units, but I don't
think, without getting a larger wattage, it's going to matter. *BTW,
I've Googled this and found 1, but it was a daylight lamp and cost $18 a
pop.

Well, I've been searching for a 60 watt equivalent candelabra base
that's dimmable, in either a CFL or a LED. I'll let you know if I
find yours, if you let me know if you find mine!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 8:41*pm, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

Would a standard base / candelabra base adapter work in your
situation?

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 12:35*am, DD_BobK wrote:
On Oct 11, 8:41*pm, RicodJour wrote:

Well, I've been searching for a 60 watt equivalent candelabra base
that's dimmable, in either a CFL or a LED. *I'll let you know if I
find yours, if you let me know if you find mine!

Would a standard base / candelabra base adapter work in your
situation?

Hey Bob. I also have some clearance problems. They're wall sconces
with 3 @ 60W candelabra, and there are four sconces in the living
room. The heat these things kick off is something fierce, so I'm
looking to save energy, money and not heat the room with the damn
light fixtures.

What were you thinking with the adapters?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 10:33*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 12, 12:35*am, DD_BobK wrote:

On Oct 11, 8:41*pm, RicodJour wrote:

Well, I've been searching for a 60 watt equivalent candelabra base
that's dimmable, in either a CFL or a LED. *I'll let you know if I
find yours, if you let me know if you find mine!

Would a standard base / candelabra base adapter work in your
situation?

Hey Bob. *I also have some clearance problems. *They're wall sconces
with 3 @ 60W candelabra, and there are four sconces in the living
room. *The heat these things kick off is something fierce, so I'm
looking to save energy, money and not heat the room with the damn
light fixtures.

What were you thinking with the adapters?

I should have read your post more carefully.
Base adapters wouldn't be a great option for wall sconces.

In a fixture where the bulb is more hidden the adapter wouldn't matter
but in a wall sconce the adapter would be visible.

here's the best I've found so far

http://www.greenelectricalsupply.com...cent-bulb.aspx

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 11:16*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
[...]

http://www.greenelectricalsupply.com...ble-candelabra...

cheers
Bob

Dimmable 14 Watt Spiral Compact Fluorescent Bulb / Candelabra Base

not cheap & not very pretty but ........

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/Merc...Store_Code=001
Posted to alt.home.repair
lj lj is offline

On Oct 12, 2:32*am, DD_BobK wrote:
[...]

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/Merc...n=PROD&Pr....- Hide quoted text -

I think there is going to be some dimmers coming out soon for regular
cfl's. I'm waiting to see what happens there.

mount small to large shaft Karl Townsend Metalworking 42 July 27th 09 04:50 AM
Large Shed Base lemmy[_3_] UK diy 2 April 21st 08 05:00 PM
Source of high-wattage fluorescent w/ candelabra base? Kenneth Porter Home Repair 12 December 18th 07 03:35 PM
Mixing small and large tiles Biggles UK diy 5 June 7th 06 11:17 PM
Patrick Spielman's website? Large router base? [email protected] Woodworking 3 October 3rd 05 04:07 AM