Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Cell phones

On 10/9/2010 8:56 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2010-10-09, wrote:

If you are on the road a lot one of the best investments you can make is
a BT speakerphone. Mine announces the incoming caller and does a very
decent job of voice calling.

What's astonishing is, how cell-phones have dozens of features so one
can have/buy/own any number of devices to interact with each of them,
giving everyone more features than they know what to do with, so
everyone can have an untold number of personalized options, yet you
two think everyone should use theirs exactly like you do. What a
couple of pompous asses.

nb

Thank you for telling me about my donkey's attitude. If you had read
closely, you may have noticed that I described what I DO MYSELF, not
what everyone else SHOULD or MUST do. I wrote about MY use of a cell
phone and pager. I wouldn't think of trying to control your use of a
cellphone. If your use of a cellphone is a danger to me on the road,
I'm going to be as far away from you as I can get. My philosophy is
to let the inattentive drivers wreck behind me, not in front of or
next to me. Please behave as you wish, it's your right to do so. If
you were chastising someone else, never mind.... 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2010 6:17 AM, George wrote:
On 10/8/2010 9:44 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
George wrote:
On 10/7/2010 9:34 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Same here. They're much handier than the business band radios of
old. We
can leave voice mail for each other with the phone which is a big
advantage over the radios. We can call our farmer customers if we need
to. They can't call us. Our phones don't broadcast our numbers, a very
handy feature.

I simply don't answer if the CID is blocked. That idea is something
from the past when cell phones were a lot more expensive to use and
not as common. Some people thought it was a big deal if they had your
cell # and would sometimes abuse the privilege. Now all you do is
annoy someone if you block CID.

We're pretty fortunate from that standpoint. Only one of our customers
blocks our calls. Most agree with our reasoning if we explain it. I ask
"Do you want to pay my boss XX $/hour for me to talk to Farmer Blue on
the phone about his problems?"
I don't see how guys in welding/repair shops track their time. It
seems like they are always being interrupted. I doubt there is such a
thing as flat rate for most of their work.
Our office can handle most of the questions and the scheduling. We
need to concentrate on our repair work. We're like most farm related
businesses. Things get pretty hectic during the growing season. It's
better organized if farmers call the office to schedule work instead of
trying to track us down.

I have a pager and instruct people to call that number and leave a
message, I keep my cellphone turned off.

TDD

Pagers are pretty much an historical artifact in many areas. There is
only one carrier left that serves my area and they have lots of issues
because they aren't making any money.

I don't get your logic. If you keep your cellphone turned off for some
reason why not just let folks leave a message on the cellphone voice mail?

Because I've had the same freaking pager number for more than 20 years!
It's how everyone knows how to get in touch with me! DO YOU UNDERSTAND!
GEEZ!

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 08:48:24 -0700, SMS wrote:
On 09/10/10 8:27 AM, AZ Nomad wrote:

snip

Why carry two devices when the cell phone can do everything the pager
does. Why have people leave a message on one device forcing you to manually
dial it on another device? Just leave the message on the cell phone,
and then call back later.

The cell phone can be set to vibrate when it receives a voice mail, and
of course in the "received calls" it will show who called unless they
have caller ID blocking. What you can't do, unless you send a text, is
to send a number to call back that displays on the screen.

All the cell phone companies have both 1) the ability to leave a number
instead of a message and 2) the ability to call back the person who left
the voicemail with a single command.

I don't see having to read the # off a pager to be manually typed into
a cell phone as a great feature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
[...]

Sure, lots of folks used to use pagers including me but when cellphone
coverage matured they migrated whomever had that number to something
else and put the pager in the drawer.

If you are that dependent on a pager you are going to be in a world of
hurt when the paging company disappears. There is only one paging
company left that serves my area and I think about 6 more adjoining
states and they can't pay their bills (no customers left). My buddy
works for a communications company and he bumps into the guy (yes guy,
they only have one tech left) from the pager company and he said just a
few months ago their system in our region was down for over a week
because they didn't have credit anymore and had to arrange to get and
pay cash for whatever part they needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2010 10:27 AM, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 10:19:11 -0500, The Daring wrote:
On 10/9/2010 6:21 AM, George wrote:
On 10/9/2010 12:12 AM, AZ Nomad wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

how stupid. You can take messages by having them call your cell phone
with its ringer turned off or set to beep just once. Once less device
to pay service for or to carry around.

Before you questioned my intelligence, pinhead, you should have asked.
If there is an emergency, I've instructed those who would have reason
to call me in an emergency to punch in 911 followed by their number,
usually the last four digits or a pass-code. I won't talk on my
cellphone when I'm driving, not because I can't walk and chew gum at
the same time but because the multitude of inattentive morons I share
the public roads with requires that I practice extreme diligence.

TDD

Thats what voicemail is for. If you are busy or need to focus your
attention on something you let the call go to voicemail.

If you are on the road a lot one of the best investments you can make is
a BT speakerphone. Mine announces the incoming caller and does a very
decent job of voice calling.

That's why I have voicemail with my paging service. If I need to write
down information, I pull over to the side of the road or I wait to
get to my destination before trying to decipher what someone is trying
to tell me. I rarely talk and drive unless it's to get directions on the
move and that's usually at slow speeds without a flock of 3000 pound
unguided missiles surrounding me. GEEZ!

Why carry two devices when the cell phone can do everything the pager
does. Why have people leave a message on one device forcing you to manually
dial it on another device? Just leave the message on the cell phone,
and then call back later.

Who the **** said you have to be a roadside hazzard in order for people
to leave messages on your cellphone. Maybe you shouldn't have either
device if you are incapable of prioritizing your attention.

One more time, I have had the same pager number for more than 20 years,
it's how people get in touch with me. If it's an emergency, those who
have a reason to call me with an emergency know to punch in 911 followed
by their number. REDUNDANT communication is important to me and the
paging system has proven itself to be much more reliable in getting a
message to me. I hope you can understand that. I have more than one
phone number and those numbers are forwarded to a single point which is
my paging service. A cellphone doesn't always work and only one
cellphone has ever proven itself to be as tough as my pager which will
last 15 years. It has a 1996 Motorola Nextel phone that was huge and
tough enough to use as a billy club and keep working. The little Nokia
I have now, comes apart, flying in all directions if I drop it. The
pager hits the ground, bounces a few times and all I have to do is wipe
any dirt off of it keep on truckin. I want things that work all the time
and in my many years of experience, cellphones don't do that.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
[...]

The paging/communications company I use does more than just pagers. I
doubt it will be going under soon. I will be long gone before that
company perishes. The only thing I have to say about it is that my
"antiquated" communication system just works and that's all that's
important to me. I would never criticize you for your choice of
methods to communicate unless you were endangering me or someone
else. This idiocy of having to TELL people that texting while driving
is dangerous, is incomprehensible. If you have to tell someone to pay
attention to the road, that person should not be driving. It's not
just cellphones, it's the nut behind the wheel trying to talk, text,
shave, put on makeup or yell at the rugrats.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

The little Nokia
I have now, comes apart, flying in all directions if I drop it.

I dropped my LG over a railing, 14 feet onto a concrete floor a couple
of days ago. The back came off. I reseated the battery, reinstalled the
back, and turned it back on. Nary a scratch, and everything on it works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
[...]

Well, I understood, for what it is worth. Those little stickers on
cold gray steel are an important source of business for you.

Anybody know if number portability rules apply to the numbers used by
pagers? Just for giggles, ask your cell provider if the pager number can
be ported to your cell number. At some point, your pager company WILL be
going away. They'll lose their frequency assignment, or some other
company will buy them to kill them. Or their head-end hardware will die,
and I'm pretty sure nobody is making new hardware any more.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
[...]

No criticism intended. Even if the paging system owner owns dozens of
businesses it still doesn't mean they are going to open their wallet to
keep it going with few customers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2010 2:02 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
The Daring wrote:

The little Nokia
I have now, comes apart, flying in all directions if I drop it.

I dropped my LG over a railing, 14 feet onto a concrete floor a couple
of days ago. The back came off. I reseated the battery, reinstalled the
back, and turned it back on. Nary a scratch, and everything on it works.

My Nokia works after falling to the floor and flying apart. I'm ****ed
about having to crawl under the bed to retrieve the fracking battery
and cover. I haven't tried a 10+ foot drop which I fear it wouldn't
survive unscathed.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
[...]

I just had a customer from years ago call me this morning about a
problem with a backup generator. He would rather I look at it than
anyone else. It's not a major part of my business now but I can
take care of it. Pagers have gone back to the people they were
meant for, they were very popular with the kiddies for a while
before cellphones then brain implants or whatever the frack they're
using these days took over. As far as I know, the number for my
pager belongs to the pager company. When I took a job overseas more
than 20 years ago, my pager service lapsed and the number I had was
reassigned to someone else. When I got back to The States, I resumed
service and have had the same number ever since then.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring wrote:

The little Nokia
I have now, comes apart, flying in all directions if I drop it.

I dropped my LG over a railing, 14 feet onto a concrete floor a couple
of days ago. The back came off. I reseated the battery, reinstalled the
back, and turned it back on. Nary a scratch, and everything on it works.

My Nokia works after falling to the floor and flying apart. I'm ****ed
about having to crawl under the bed to retrieve the fracking battery
and cover. I haven't tried a 10+ foot drop which I fear it wouldn't
survive unscathed.

My palm pre has never been dropped. It has never been in a pocket with
any other item. Still it developed a crack above the usb/power jack.
The cover for the usb/power jack fell off, and now two new tiny chunks
of plastic near the usb/power jack have come loose. The hole is slowly
growing as the case disintegrates. Phone is about 6 months old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring wrote:

[...]

Oh man, that's an awful thing to happen to what I believe is one of your
prized possessions. I have a ballistic nylon pouch for my pager and a
horizontal holster for my diminutive, inexpensive cellphone and I wind
up crawling all over and under things. So far, the cases have protected
my electronic devices. I can appreciate a gizmo like like a Palm, I have
an earlier generation PDA without cellphone feature but I can't imagine
carrying an expensive item like that around in my pocket, especially
when I would be prone to sit on it or roll over on it while trying to
pull the guts out of some recalcitrant piece of equipment. I don't think
a smartphone would last a day in my pocket when I'm working. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 5:10*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 10/7/2010 2:31 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

*wrote in message
om...

"Gordon *wrote in message
. ..

Here's where you should have gotten your new phone.

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...blic/Home.aspx

That way if you were too lazy to work our great leader in Washington
fixed it so you could get a free phone and free service at the expense
of the tax paying citizens.

Did you read your own link?

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr.../benefits.aspx

There is no "Obama phone" or other newly created federal program to
provide free cell phones. As you may know, this is a myth that is now
circulating on the Web via email and blog sites.

This nonsense surfaces is a curiously cyclical way. I'd like to think it
originates with some fat slob who gets bored with watching Andy Griffith
re-runs and wolfing pork rinds, so he (or she) posts or emails this crap
again. But it could actually come from a pro - some Rove-like organism whose
job it is to feed the lie machine until election day.

Whether or not you like a particular President, he/she/it does not have
the power to do what most people think h.s.i. has. Many people blame the
bad economy on The President or give The President credit for a good
economy. The President does not control it, The President runs the
executive branch of the government and is commander and chief of the
military. If The President was all powerful, there would be no reason
for The President and his party to try to stuff the courts and congress
with his party members. I'm amazed at the folks who don't understand it.

TDD

I'm not sure if anyone referenced this yet:
http://www.marke****ch.com/story/rea...0?pagenumber=2
Posted to alt.home.repair

And some of those 3,000 pounders are actually driving a car!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

That's why I have voicemail with my paging service. If I need to write
down information, I pull over to the side of the road or I wait to
get to my destination before trying to decipher what someone is trying
to tell me. I rarely talk and drive unless it's to get directions on
the
move and that's usually at slow speeds without a flock of 3000 pound
unguided missiles surrounding me. GEEZ!

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2010 4:42 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
On Oct 7, 5:10 pm, The Daring
wrote:
On 10/7/2010 2:31 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

wrote in message
m...

"Gordon wrote in message

[...]

It's all the Republicans fault and it's all the Democrats fault, uh,
wait a sec, I thought they were different? 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 21:37:12 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't answer calls without CID (or name but no number of blocked)
unless I am expecting a call. Most of them are junk calls.

--
77 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Prayer, the last refuge of a scoundrel" -- Lisa Simpson
Posted to alt.home.repair

(snip)
It's all the Republicans fault and it's all the Democrats fault, uh,
wait a sec, I thought they were different? 8-)

TDD

Not so's you'd notice, lately. They both think my money belongs to them,
and they know better how it should be spent than I do.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2010 8:32 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 21:37:12 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't answer calls without CID (or name but no number of blocked)
unless I am expecting a call. Most of them are junk calls.

I refuse to pay extra for caller ID, just on principle. The data stream
is passing the info anyway, and IMHO they shouldn't be allowed to charge
extra for delivering it to my end of the loop. Remember, they used to
charge extra for touch-tone, too.

I usually just let the droid answer it. Not like I get many legitimate
calls anyway.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2010 9:54 PM, aemeijers wrote:
(snip)
It's all the Republicans fault and it's all the Democrats fault, uh,
wait a sec, I thought they were different? 8-)

TDD

Not so's you'd notice, lately. They both think my money belongs to them,
and they know better how it should be spent than I do.

Well, Republicans disgust me but Democrats are special, they horrify me.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2010 10:57 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 10/9/2010 8:32 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 21:37:12 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't answer calls without CID (or name but no number of blocked)
unless I am expecting a call. Most of them are junk calls.

I refuse to pay extra for caller ID, just on principle. The data stream
is passing the info anyway, and IMHO they shouldn't be allowed to charge
extra for delivering it to my end of the loop. Remember, they used to
charge extra for touch-tone, too.

I usually just let the droid answer it. Not like I get many legitimate
calls anyway.

CID comes with cellphones and I ported our house number that everyone
had to a pay as you go VoIP line which includes CID, voicemail,
voicemail to email etc and costs ~ $4.50/month.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2010 7:32 AM, George wrote:
On 10/9/2010 10:57 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 10/9/2010 8:32 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 21:37:12 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't answer calls without CID (or name but no number of blocked)
unless I am expecting a call. Most of them are junk calls.

I refuse to pay extra for caller ID, just on principle. The data stream
is passing the info anyway, and IMHO they shouldn't be allowed to charge
extra for delivering it to my end of the loop. Remember, they used to
charge extra for touch-tone, too.

I usually just let the droid answer it. Not like I get many legitimate
calls anyway.

CID comes with cellphones and I ported our house number that everyone
had to a pay as you go VoIP line which includes CID, voicemail,
voicemail to email etc and costs ~ $4.50/month.

Fine and dandy as long as you don't get any multi-day power outages and
your cell carrier has good UPS systems at the tower sites. On your home
VOIP, as soon as whatever toy UPS is on your cable or fiber modem goes
flat, there goes your phone service. On many cell companies, their tower
UPS systems are good for about 4 hours. A hardwired non-cordless phone
on an old-style copper POTs line is by far the most reliable service you
can have.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2010 7:41 AM, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Yes, many cell companies have toy power backup. Our phones are on VZW
which can ride through weeks because they have large battery capacity
and generators on everything.

Four hours is actually pretty optimistic. AT&T & tmobile sites have
their equipment in pedestals and there is only a small battery fitted.
They are lucky if they can stay up one hour.

The home VoIP line is purely a convenience thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/10/2010 4:41 AM, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

True, but at least in my area, when you discontinue land line service
you still get a dial tone and can call 911.

In general, it's a bad idea to give up land line phone service completely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2010 4:40 PM, SMS wrote:
[...]

I can't swear to it, but I am told that when Ma Bell installs Uverse
around here, they rip out the copper drop. They have Uverse on the same
side road I am on, but on the other side of where said side road
intersects the big road where the fiber trunk is. That is where the
fancy houses are. Here on the blue-collar side of the big road, they
stopped sending the 'coming soon' postcards when the economy tanked. But
since they still have Uverse on the drawing boards, they are not
expanding their vanilla DSL-over-copper circle, even though that fiber
trunk means it would work fine. So, I have to pay twice as much to a 3rd
party provider for DSL over a second dry pair.

There is a geek term, SPOF, for Single Point Of Failure. They are to be
avoided when possible or practical. Always have a backup plan. My backup
for voice is a disposable cell. My backup for DSL is dial-up, or dig out
the junk laptop and drive to a hot spot, or my office. My backup for
DISH TV is OTA via rabbit ears. I've never had to use ALL the backups at
the same time. If it all came into the house via the same cable, if one
goes out, they ALL go out.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 17:09:28 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

And, at the speed of light. Unlike postal mail.

Very often, text messages will go through the towers when the voice
system is overloaded.

Not only that - but up at friend's cottage the phone has no service,
but text still gets through - - - - .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:49:25 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

On 10/8/2010 3:40 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 14:11:18 -0700 (PDT), Hilary
wrote:

On Oct 7, 1:40Â pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:10:39 -0700, DGDevin wrote:
"Jules wrote in message

I've not had one for three years now, and it's a liberating experience.
If people need to contact me in an emergecy, they'll find a way. For
everything else, I'm either near a land-line, or email, or whatever it
is can wait until I get to it. Life just shouldn't be so fast that we
have to be at someone's beck and call every waking second of the day
:-)

My wife and I both use pay-as-you-go cell phones, the only condition is
we have to pay at least $20 every 90 days but we can bank that airtime
if need be. Â Most of the time the phones are not even turned on, we use
them when *we* want to, so they aren't a means for other people to annoy
us. Â Works pretty good.

Yes, I used to have one before I moved to the US (no restriction on
minimum spend, either), but it wouldn't work on the US system (well, at
least not outside major cities). I was lazy about spending money on a new
phone (which would probably break reasonably quickly anyway, because they
all seem to be built to the worst possible quality) and as time went on I
just found less and less need to have one.

I think there are probably a handful of times a year now where I think
one would be useful - but that's not enough to justify buying a phone and
then spending $80/year just to make 4 or 5 calls.

(a side issue is that I've only ever used a cell phone to make voice
calls and send the occasional text message. I couldn't give a hoot about
playing games on it, or Internet access, or it having a camera, or any of
the other "extras" that they seem to insist on tacking on these days :-)

cheers

Jules- Hide quoted text -

I have a Tracfone which I only use in an emergency, plus 1-5 times a
year for "I'll be there in 10 minutes, are you home yet" or "Do we
need XYZ from the store?", etc. I have no idea if it texts or not,
since texting seems to me to be the biggest waste of time EVER!! Just
call the person and TALK. But then again, I'm a grown-up, not trying
to text during math class. I don't care if you can text using one
character for every word, it is still WAAAAY faster to actually TALK!

I have about 800 minutes (which came with the airtime) saved up and it
costs less than $80/year. Totally worth it, since the last time I used
it I was stranded in a snowstorm, in a dead car, up in the
Adirondacks. Would probably still be there if I hadn't had that
phone...

The beauty of texting is the message gets through whether the
recipient is driving, sleeping, busy talking to someone else, or
whatever. He reads it at his convenience and replies or not -

Isn't that is what email is for?

Except e-mail, more often than not, is NOT available to the guy away
from home unless he has a smart-phone - and is not available to me
when I'm away from nhome because I do NOT have a smart-phone..
(actually, I do, but no data package)
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
[...]

Even with my cell phone turned off I can have the call go to
voicemail - and when I turn the phone back on it tells me how many
calls I missed, and from whom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 12:31:21 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

Just one question - you don't have portable numbers where you are?
Here, if I have a phone number for ANY type of phone service, I can
have it transfererred to a new service - so no problem transferring
that long-standing pager number to a new cell-phone on ANY carrier -
and forwarding that number to my home phone in non-working hours or
when I'm at home so there is no air-time charge for calls I recieve
when at my (or any other) land-line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't own the pager number, I'm sure the company could yank it any
time they wished. Right now, two of the guys I work with are having
problems with dead and dying cellphones, roommate just went out the door
cursing the infernal contraption. My pager was having a little
problem so I changed the single AAA battery, problem solved. I must
have simple reliable communications, pager and POTS line win every
time. I suppose I could find another "Tough Phone" but I don't have
a ton of money to spend on anything right now so I'll keep the little
Nokia that has to be protected from gravity.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
[...]

I haven't even setup the voicemail on the TracFone I have, I only turn
it on when I need to make a call. All I want is a cellphone that works
like those ancient cellphones, A PHONE THAT JUST FREAKING MAKES AND
RECEIVES CALLS! I don't want it to do anything else except be big enough
for my hand and have big enough buttons so I don't press three
at the same time. I think it's wonderful for people to have those lovely
supercalafragalistic modern Swiss army knife phones but I don't want or
need one.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sure but isn't a pager the definition of unreliable? Suppose someone
paged you when you had the battery out just now (or you were out of
range)? You would never know.

The cell system would simply save that message until it saw your handset
register itself with the system and deliver it to your handset. That was
one of the big problems with pagers especially if the call you just
missed might have meant putting money in your wallet.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

wrote:

[...]

I find Google Voice an amazingly useful system. Now I give out my Google
Voice number and it rings whatever numbers I want it to. If I'm home, I
activate the landline to ring, otherwise it rings my cellphones all at
the same time. But it would not really work with a pager.

It is true that the paging system is a usually a more reliable way of
being contacted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Only if it was a two way pager which is pretty rare. I carried a pager
for years and one of the things you wonder if calls are important to you
is did you lose any. Paging systems simply burp out the page. If you are
out of range in a poor coverage area or your pager is off then too bad.

OTOH the cell system uses store and forward if necessary and doesn't
even attempt to send a text message until your handset registers with
the network.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The pager voice mails are saved on the companies' server. I call my
number, enter my access code and retrieve my messages. If I'm not
feeling well, I'll turn my pager off. When I wake up, I call and
check my messages.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/13/2010 12:42 AM, ktos wrote:
The Daring wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I know what you mean about using a pager. I used one for years. I'd give
the number out to everyone as my home phone. They heard a ringing when
they called and thought it was a phone. Several people asked why I never
answered. lol. When it's a pager, you feel like no one has reached you, if
the pager is OFF. Since then, I have 2 prepaid cells. One is my junk
number and the other one is my home phone for "special" people. The junk
cell is off 99 % of the time.

I was an early adopter of MagicJack and when the unit quit working, I
kept the number. For $20 a year I have a phone number to give anyone
who will violate my privacy like hospitals, insurance companies, banks
and especially government agencies. The voice mails come in my Email as
a wav file along with time, date and number of the caller. I never hear
a ringer and if it's someone I need to call back, I can. It intercepts
all of the telemarketers and sales calls from those who got my number
from the mentioned notorious privacy ignorers. I love the threatening
calls from the collection agencies who will call numerous times a day.
"You must call immediately or you leave me no choice!" The same message
for a year then it slows to a trickle from the deluge it once was.

TDD