Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hardipanel for shed siding

We are planning construction of a garden shed to store garden tractor,
yard tools, and "stuff" (and regain use of my garage shop). We are
considering Smart Siding, Hardi Panel and T-11 (T1-11). Like the
looks of T-11 but have been unable to find pressure treated siding
used on some factory built buildings.

The Hardi panel looks good but their installation instructions
required a moisture barrier. This is a utility building and the
siding will also serve as sheeting. No interior finish. Will the
cement fiber panel hold up to long term use without sheeting and
moisture barrier? I have used a product similar to Smart and the
building looks good after 25 years but there is concern with Hardi.

Any Experience?

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RonB" wrote in message
We are planning construction of a garden shed to store garden tractor,
yard tools, and "stuff" (and regain use of my garage shop). We are
considering Smart Siding, Hardi Panel and T-11 (T1-11). Like the
looks of T-11 but have been unable to find pressure treated siding
used on some factory built buildings.

The Hardi panel looks good but their installation instructions
required a moisture barrier. This is a utility building and the
siding will also serve as sheeting. No interior finish. Will the
cement fiber panel hold up to long term use without sheeting and
moisture barrier? I have used a product similar to Smart and the
building looks good after 25 years but there is concern with Hardi.

Any Experience?

RonB

Just my opinions with no basis in fact.

The moisture barrier would be required over a wooden substrate or heated
interior. You have neither.

No interior wall finish is only a problem when one considers bumps and
breakage potential.

I might cover the studs with 15# felt or plastics as I believe the cement
based product might conduct some moisture during the rainy season and at
ground level

They have a contact form on their site. May I be so bold as to suggest you
ask them.

--
Colbyt