Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plaster in seams between hardipanel??

The ceiling in my outdoor lanai in Florida is drywall with papered and
compounded seams. The paper is coming up in places and there are signs this
has been repaird in the past so I want to eliminate the problem. The
ceiling is exposed to outdoor humidity, but completely protected from rain.

I've investigated various solutions, including vinyl beadboard sheets, wood
planking (v-joint or beadboard), and hardipanel. By far the least
expensive, is hardipanel, but the problem is how to handle the seams. An
easy solution is to cover the seams with a batten and try to make it look
decorative, but I'd prefer a completely flat ceiling as I have at present.

Hardie Products recommends caulking seams, but caulk shrinks, can't be
sanded smooth, etc. So, my thought is to leave, say 1/8" (or less) crevices
between panels and using plaster (no joint paper) to fill them, and sand it
smooth. (Hardipanel is very little thermal expansion/contraction.) The
Hardipanel comes in a smooth finish, but it's pre-primed, including the
edges. My questions therefore are primarily as to whether the plaster would
do the job.

1. Will the plaster adhere adequately to the pre-primed hardipanel?

2. If not, if I simply roughed the edges with a coarse file, would that
solve it sufficiently?

3. If you think the plaster will work, and assuming it gets a good coat of
paint, will there be any other long-term issues using plaster?

4. If, instead of intentionally leaving gaps into which plaster could fill
(and hopefully adhere), I butt the seams and just use plaster to fill the
fine remaining crack, does that make the solution better or worse?

5. Do you have any alternative solutions that will give me a ceiling that
has very low long-term maintenance?

Many thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 13, 11:16 am, "BobAtVandy" wrote:
[...]

Why not put up rock lath and hire a competent plasterer to do the
ceiling? Use any good stucco product and it should last many years.
You may even be able to get a pleasing texture finish out of the job.
HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 12:16 pm, "BobAtVandy" wrote:
[...]

Off the top of my head I'd do the seams with thinset.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Dunno how it's holding up these days but back in the early-mid 90s
I finished MR board under a banks' drive-up canopy on the cieling,the
architect/specs called for EZsand 90 for every coat..We do'nt have as
many days of high humidity here in the Midwest but there are some and
a wide range of temps..Apparently the architect thought the EZsand
would handle it after painting..
Joint compound will stick to *almost* any clean surface,,the
enemies are oil,grease,greasy smoke and dust..Primer is an excellent
bonding agent for joint compound of any kind..I recommend using
drywall tape for added strength and 2 coats on that to feather it
out,then 150grit sandpaper for a smoothe finish..
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here are several ideas.

My dad is at Ocala with the same drywall soffit/ceilings on the
covered patio and front porch. Yes, the tape came undone. I
bought a bag of thermal setting compound and redid the joints.
That was 10 years ago, still holding fine.

If you are going ahead with the Hardi, I would suggest H-mold or
trim at the joints. I don't think you will ever get an even
application of anything to hold on the joints. I have used the
sheet Hardi material, though I usually use one of the textured
panels. The caulked joints show. It is a great material with
trim on the joints, perhaps one of the artificial trims like Azec.
http://www.azek.com/

You might also price any of the plastic siding soffits.
http://www.royalbuildingproducts.com/products/siding/soffit/index.html

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"BobAtVandy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Newser" wrote in message
[...]

I do not think you can get invisible seams. Even if the hardipanel does not
expand or contract any, what it is secured to does. I would give excellent
odds that any non-flexible seam filler will crack. Plaster/stucco or drywall
with taped seams are about the only choices for a continous smooth surface.
I would seriously consider battens in a uniform pattern.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobAtVandy wrote:

[...]

We have similar ceilings in our condo atrium .. under roof but not
enclosed. AFAIK, it is ordinary wallboard (old) with no taped seams.
Seams are caulked but not filled up and the edge of the wallboard shows.

Our patio, with concrete balcony above, has 1x4 wood boards as the
ceiling (painted). I would be concerned about bugs getting behind the
panels if the seams and edges aren't filled. Ordinary wallboard should
work fine if the seams and edges are sealed up well and all painted.

I don't know how Hardie compares to ordinary wallboard for
shrinkage/expansion, but flexible caulk allows for it much better than a
rigid compound. You can order the seams so that they are evenly placed
and leave them visible, with just a little caulk to seal the seam but
not fill it up.