Posted to alt.home.repair

Default frozen AC unit

we have a split unit AC unit. has a tendency, on occasion, to start up
on its own. we were out of town this weekend and came back to find
out the whole thing was frozen up. i've shut it off at the breaker to
allow it to defrost.

question: is it destroyed? i did briefly try to start it and the
control system lit up,and didn't trip any breakers but nothing started
up.

any suggestions or comments? thanks much
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 2:24*pm, bpuharic wrote:
we have a split unit AC unit. has a tendency, on occasion, to start up
on its own. *we were out of town this weekend and came back to find
out the whole thing was frozen up. *i've shut it off at the breaker to
allow it to defrost.

question: is it destroyed? *i did briefly try to start it and the
control system lit up,and didn't trip any breakers but nothing started
up.

any suggestions or comments? thanks much

Sounds like it just froze up because it was too cold outside or low on
freon. But it should be fine.
When you tried to start it again, what did not turn on? The
compressor, air handler.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Since it's still cooling. probably not destroyed. However, it's due
for repairs. I'd want a service company to have a look, try and figure
out what's not working properly.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"bpuharic" wrote in message
we have a split unit AC unit. has a tendency, on occasion, to start up
on its own. we were out of town this weekend and came back to find
out the whole thing was frozen up. i've shut it off at the breaker to
allow it to defrost.

question: is it destroyed? i did briefly try to start it and the
control system lit up,and didn't trip any breakers but nothing started
up.

any suggestions or comments? thanks much

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 17:22:29 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

On Oct 3, 2:24*pm, bpuharic wrote:
we have a split unit AC unit. has a tendency, on occasion, to start up
on its own. *we were out of town this weekend and came back to find
out the whole thing was frozen up. *i've shut it off at the breaker to
allow it to defrost.

question: is it destroyed? *i did briefly try to start it and the
control system lit up,and didn't trip any breakers but nothing started
up.

any suggestions or comments? thanks much

Sounds like it just froze up because it was too cold outside or low on
freon. But it should be fine.
When you tried to start it again, what did not turn on? The
compressor, air handler.

it's a split unit but i felt nothing from the fan. don't know if the
compressor came on or not. i didnt want to run it too long...

it was in the mid 50's when it was running.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 20:43:50 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Since it's still cooling. probably not destroyed. However, it's due
for repairs. I'd want a service company to have a look, try and figure
out what's not working properly.

yeah i think it's probably due. i'll leave the breaker off until
spring...might be low in freon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Since it's still cooling. probably not destroyed. However, it's due
for repairs. I'd want a service company to have a look, try and figure
out what's not working properly.

i assume it was running shortly before we got home because there was a
fair amount of ice on the wall unit. but nothing was runnin when we
got home and the fan didn't come on when i powered the unit up
Posted to alt.home.repair

Around me, the HVAC guys are going into winter clean and checks. An AC
repair might be cheaper, now that it's "off season". On the other
hand, it may leak out again before spring. No definite answer, sadly.

Wait till early spring sounds like a reasonable answer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"bpuharic" wrote in message

yeah i think it's probably due. i'll leave the breaker off until
spring...might be low in freon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 14:24:10 -0400, bpuharic wrote:

we have a split unit AC unit. has a tendency, on occasion, to start up
on its own. we were out of town this weekend and came back to find
out the whole thing was frozen up. i've shut it off at the breaker to
allow it to defrost.

question: is it destroyed? i did briefly try to start it and the
control system lit up,and didn't trip any breakers but nothing started
up.

any suggestions or comments? thanks much

Dirty filters, really dirty?!

What froze, inside or outside?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 18:13:57 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 14:24:10 -0400, bpuharic wrote:

we have a split unit AC unit. has a tendency, on occasion, to start up
on its own. we were out of town this weekend and came back to find
out the whole thing was frozen up. i've shut it off at the breaker to
allow it to defrost.

question: is it destroyed? i did briefly try to start it and the
control system lit up,and didn't trip any breakers but nothing started
up.

any suggestions or comments? thanks much

Dirty filters, really dirty?!

What froze, inside or outside?

it was the grill on the wall unit...had about 1/2" of ice on it...and
the lines leading to and from the compressor outside were iced up

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 9:26*pm, bpuharic wrote:
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 18:13:57 -0700, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 14:24:10 -0400, bpuharic wrote:

we have a split unit AC unit. has a tendency, on occasion, to start up
on its own. *we were out of town this weekend and came back to find
out the whole thing was frozen up. *i've shut it off at the breaker to
allow it to defrost.

question: is it destroyed? *i did briefly try to start it and the
control system lit up,and didn't trip any breakers but nothing started
up.

any suggestions or comments? thanks much

Dirty filters, really dirty?!

What froze, inside or outside?

it was the grill on the wall unit...had about 1/2" of ice on it...and
the lines leading to and from the compressor outside were iced up- Hide quoted text -

That's most commonly low freon. AC's actually get colder when they
are slightly low on freon. If it still runs after it thawed out then
you didn't damage it. You need someone with a set of guages to take a
look at it. If the season is over for you then you may just want to
wait till spring. If it has as slow leak it will just leak back out
over the winter. But get a early start in spring cause the ac
business gets busy then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 04:47:16 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

[...]

thanks much...will probably leave until the buds appear on the
trees...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 14:24:10 -0400, bpuharic wrote:

we have a split unit AC unit. has a tendency, on occasion, to start up
on its own. we were out of town this weekend and came back to find
out the whole thing was frozen up. i've shut it off at the breaker to
allow it to defrost.

question: is it destroyed? i did briefly try to start it and the
control system lit up,and didn't trip any breakers but nothing started
up.

any suggestions or comments? thanks much

left AC Off for the last few days....it started up today and is
working fine...will check freon level in spring