Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to buy a shinny metal box?

I want to put together an ultraviolet air cleaner. Commercial ones are
either too expensive, or too small.

I've located all the parts (the lamp and the ballast) except the case. Any
idea where to buy a steel box that's 4 feet long by 1 to 2 foot square? It
should be unpainted. Shinny (polished) interior is even better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 8:33*pm, "james" wrote:
I want to put together an ultraviolet air cleaner. Commercial ones are
either too expensive, or too small.

I've located all the parts (the lamp and the ballast) except the case. Any
idea where to buy a steel box that's 4 feet long by 1 to 2 foot square? It
should be unpainted. Shinny (polished) interior is even better.

Pieces of heating/air handler ductwork screwed together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 9:33*pm, "james" wrote:
I want to put together an ultraviolet air cleaner. Commercial ones are
either too expensive, or too small.

I've located all the parts (the lamp and the ballast) except the case. Any
idea where to buy a steel box that's 4 feet long by 1 to 2 foot square? It
should be unpainted. Shinny (polished) interior is even better.

Contact cement sheet aluminum to plywood, cut the plywood to size and
screw the parts together into a box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2010 8:33 PM, james wrote:
I want to put together an ultraviolet air cleaner. Commercial ones are
either too expensive, or too small.

I've located all the parts (the lamp and the ballast) except the case.
Any idea where to buy a steel box that's 4 feet long by 1 to 2 foot
square? It should be unpainted. Shinny (polished) interior is even better.

I go to sheet metal shops to have parts custom made all the time.
Check your local Yellow Pages for sheet metal shops. A shop can
make a stainless steel reflector for your housing.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

I go to sheet metal shops to have parts custom made all the time.
Check your local Yellow Pages for sheet metal shops. A shop can
make a stainless steel reflector for your housing.

Yellow pages?

How quaint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2010 7:34 AM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I go to sheet metal shops to have parts custom made all the time.
Check your local Yellow Pages for sheet metal shops. A shop can
make a stainless steel reflector for your housing.

Yellow pages?

How quaint.

Um, I have it both on paper and Interweb. Sometimes it's quicker to
pickup the ballast and flip through the pages rather than waiting
for the computer to boot up. When I'm not using a computer, I turn
it off. The people who have problems with computers are usually
those who leave them running constantly. I should know, I have to go
fix some today.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I go to sheet metal shops to have parts custom made all the time.
Check your local Yellow Pages for sheet metal shops. A shop can
make a stainless steel reflector for your housing.

Yellow pages?

How quaint.

Every year, 13.3 times the tonnage of the Titanic, completely loaded with
coal is put into landfills in the form of old phone books. It was time for
them to move off into history. The yellow pages is in a shambles, rates are
miraculously down, and the only ones that seem to really be making any money
are books for small towns, where they are actually still needed and used.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

I go to sheet metal shops to have parts custom made all the time.
Check your local Yellow Pages for sheet metal shops. A shop can
make a stainless steel reflector for your housing.

Yellow pages?

How quaint.

Um, I have it both on paper and Interweb. Sometimes it's quicker to
pickup the ballast and flip through the pages rather than waiting
for the computer to boot up. When I'm not using a computer, I turn
it off. The people who have problems with computers are usually
those who leave them running constantly. I should know, I have to go
fix some today.

TDD

I fix them on a regular basis too - but my experoience is it's the
ones that are turnrd off and on daily (or oftener) that fail first.

YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

At a hockey supply store, perhaps?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/shinny

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

I go to sheet metal shops to have parts custom made all the time.
Check your local Yellow Pages for sheet metal shops. A shop can
make a stainless steel reflector for your housing.

Yellow pages?

How quaint.

Um, I have it both on paper and Interweb. Sometimes it's quicker to
pickup the ballast and flip through the pages rather than waiting
for the computer to boot up. When I'm not using a computer, I turn
it off. The people who have problems with computers are usually
those who leave them running constantly. I should know, I have to go
fix some today.

TDD

I fix them on a regular basis too - but my experoience is it's the
ones that are turnrd off and on daily (or oftener) that fail first.

YMMV

That was true of the older computers but not so much with the newer
machines. The biggest problem I find with computers, is dirt, dust
bunnies and dust elephants blocking cooling air to the CPU and power
supply. I like thin clients that have no moving parts for workstations
that are to be left on. The expensive enterprise level parts can be
confined to a server in a controlled environment. Hard drives designed
for servers can take the pounding of 24/7 operation. Most of the boxes
I see in business are using consumer grade hard drives that are not
designed to run 24/7. A little more money to upgrade hardware and the
addition of extra cooling fans and the threat of death if they put the
computer on the damn floor or pile papers and notebooks all around the
poor abused machine, could extend its life and prevent data loss. I
can't seem to convince a lot of owners to have the dirt cleaned out of
their computers two to four times a year, they wait until it quits.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2010 8:37 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
At a hockey supply store, perhaps?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/shinny

Duh, "shiny", I didn't even catch that one. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 6:33*pm, "james" wrote:
I want to put together an ultraviolet air cleaner. Commercial ones are
either too expensive, or too small.

I've located all the parts (the lamp and the ballast) except the case. Any
idea where to buy a steel box that's 4 feet long by 1 to 2 foot square? It
should be unpainted. Shinny (polished) interior is even better.

1/2" foil faced foam insulation board and some tape. Would work if
there is no stress on the 'box'.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 11:41*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Sep 29, 6:33*pm, "james" wrote:

I want to put together an ultraviolet air cleaner. Commercial ones are
either too expensive, or too small.

I've located all the parts (the lamp and the ballast) except the case. Any
idea where to buy a steel box that's 4 feet long by 1 to 2 foot square? It
should be unpainted. Shinny (polished) interior is even better.

1/2" foil faced foam insulation board and some tape. *Would work if
there is no stress on the 'box'.

That's the ticket. If there were some stress he could just bump it up
to 1" or 2" foam board. It's by far the easiest solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 9:33*pm, "james" wrote:
I want to put together an ultraviolet air cleaner. Commercial ones are
either too expensive, or too small.

I've located all the parts (the lamp and the ballast) except the case. Any
idea where to buy a steel box that's 4 feet long by 1 to 2 foot square? It
should be unpainted. Shinny (polished) interior is even better.

Go to a local hvac duct fabricator. Just give them your dimensions
and tell them you want a cube, uninsulated. Probably be $60 or so.
Forget about shiney, that would take stainless steel and you don't
want to pay that price. They will provide the openings in the end if
you tell them what sizes you want or you can cut them yourself. If
you are putting this in your hvac return then pickup a couple collars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

To my understanding, to "shinny" is to climb. "The boy quickly
shinnied up the old tree in the back yard". I couldn't figure out why
was someone climbing a metal box.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 9/30/2010 8:37 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
At a hockey supply store, perhaps?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/shinny

Duh, "shiny", I didn't even catch that one. 8-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:02:01 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

To my understanding, to "shinny" is to climb. "The boy quickly
shinnied up the old tree in the back yard". I couldn't figure out why
was someone climbing a metal box.

To make it more shiny, of course.