Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Made in the USA: MagLite

On 9/29/2010 10:50 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
MagLite flashlights continue to be made in the USA even though the owner
knows that he could make more money by manufacturing overseas.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130197557

We need more companies like this.

Perce

Good for them.

Sometimes "made in the USA" means assembled in the USA with most parts
from other parts of the world. Only one bulb here.

Years ago, I knew an engineer who quit Ford because his job assignment
was to adapt a Japanese engine to a Ford car. He did not object to the
foreign input but work was not innovative enough for him.

As for me, I buy what give me most value. Cars are Japanese but I like
to know when assembled in the USA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 3:50*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
MagLite flashlights continue to be made in the USA even though the owner
knows that he could make more money by manufacturing overseas.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130197557

We need more companies like this.

Perce

You're quite right. You can buy maglites here in the UK. I think
they're good quality if a bit expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
MagLite flashlights continue to be made in the USA even though the owner
knows that he could make more money by manufacturing overseas.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130197557

We need more companies like this.

Perce

I'm happy that they're still made in the U.S. but I'd be happier if they
weren't junk. Years ago I used them . I prefer the mini mag, 2 AA version.
As an electrician I'm forever crawling around in some dark location, so I
need a reliable flashlight, that I can carry easily. The last dozen or so I
had only lasted a few months each. They don't die altogether, but become
unreliable, flickering on and off, at which point I just pitch them. In Sept
2005 someone on this newsgroup recommended Streamlight flashlights to me,
and I bought one, a 3 AA version that has both LED and incandescent bulbs in
it. I literally have used this flashlight every day since, and it has never
failed, in fact it hasn't even burned out the incandescent bulb yet. When
maglight builds a comparable tool, I'd be happy to try them again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM"
wrote:

[...]

I've had the same experiences with Mag products... and also have a
Streamlight that I've been very pleased with.

However, more and more I find myself reaching for this 'no name'
headlight I picked up at the local hardware store a couple of years ago.
It was $12 if memory serves me right.

It's great, nice wide comfortable straps that are easily removable for
washing (I put them one of those mesh 'lingerie Bag' and just toss them
in the washing machine).

It's plastic, but nice, heavy and well engineered, nothing flimsy or
delicate. It has a joint allowing vertical adjustment, and it's push
button switch is located behind a heavy rubber membrane. It's been used
in heavy rain and dumped in dirt, dropped, sat on and all that with no
signs of anything intruding or damage.

It uses 2 AA batteries, eliminating that extra battery always left over
by 3 cell lights. (I hate products that use odd numbers of batteries...)
It has 12 LED's arranged to give a nice even flood, with no 'hot spots'
or dim areas, and is bright enough for my 57 year old eyes to focus on
fine detail. Battery life has been excellent... I think I'm on the third
set now, and it's seen near daily use.

After I'd used it a while, I decided to grab all I could find and stock
them away... but sadly the store said they were a one shot deal for
them, and they had no idea where to get more... and said others had been
inquiring as well. Been looking for more everywhere ever since, but so
far no luck.

Mag would do well to produce such a product...

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harbor Freight has a black and yellow head light. Two AA cells. If you
unscrew the lens, and rip otu the bulb. Take a small jewlers screw
driver, and yank otu the reflector. Put in a Nite Ize mini mag
conversion module. Now, for about ten bucks, you have a powerful head
light.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Erik" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 9:50*am, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
MagLite flashlights continue to be made in the USA even though the owner
knows that he could make more money by manufacturing overseas.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130197557

We need more companies like this.

Perce

They look real cool, but wont survive a fall from a ladder onto
concrete if they land on the bezel edge, I switched to flashlights
with rubber padding. Was at Fry's this week, holy cow what a
selection of flashlights! Two full aisles. I had my eye on the 100
LED bulb one. I agree that Maglite is made well and I like the US
made aspect, but I've lost several with drops on concrete. One fell
on the butt end and locked the end cap on for good by making it oval.
But their large D cell models have multi use as a weapon if you dont
feel safe in certain neighborhoods, no other flashlight than the
Maglite D cell can say that, (thats why its a policemans favorite).
It's like a concealed billy club.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RickH" wrote in message

But their large D cell models have multi use as a weapon if you dont
feel safe in certain neighborhoods, no other flashlight than the
Maglite D cell can say that, (thats why its a policemans favorite).
It's like a concealed billy club.

That's why I bought my first MagLite--a 6 C-cell model to tuck between the
front seats of my car--because it wasn't a club (looks bad in court) it was
a flashlight that would make a fine club if need be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:

That's why I bought my first MagLite--a 6 C-cell model to tuck
between the front seats of my car--because it wasn't a club (looks
bad in court) it was a flashlight that would make a fine club if need
be.

Good point. In most jurisdictions, a truncheon is, per se, a prohibited
weapon - in the same class as a hunting knife or pistol. If you're in
possession, you go to jail.

Not so for flashlights, T-ball baseball bats, an un-modified piece of pipe,
and anything else not specifically made or modified to be a weapon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

That's why I bought my first MagLite--a 6 C-cell model to tuck
between the front seats of my car--because it wasn't a club (looks
bad in court) it was a flashlight that would make a fine club if need
be.

Good point. In most jurisdictions, a truncheon is, per se, a prohibited
weapon - in the same class as a hunting knife or pistol. If you're in
possession, you go to jail.

Yup, even if you don't use it, all they have to do is see it in your car.
If you're going to carry a trucker's tire thumper you'd better be driving an
18-wheeler.

Not so for flashlights, T-ball baseball bats, an un-modified piece of
pipe, and anything else not specifically made or modified to be a weapon.

If you so much as wrap some hockey-stick tape around one end of a pipe or
stick you've converted it into a weapon and now your lawyer is going to make
a pile of money. But a flashlight is a flashlight.