Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Taking apart a Mini-Maglite

I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel
room over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the
batteries leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion
doesn't look bad. The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and I
was able to knock the middle battery out by hitting the tailcap with
a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't budge. I don't see any
way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel room over
a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the batteries leaked --
the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion doesn't look bad. The bottom
battery just dropped out easily, and I was able to knock the middle battery
out by hitting the tailcap with a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't
budge. I don't see any way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

The lamp end unscrews Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel room
over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the batteries
leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion doesn't look bad.
The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and I was able to knock the
middle battery out by hitting the tailcap with a deadblow hammer, but
the last one won't budge. I don't see any way to take it apart from the
lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

The light is trashed. Saw it apart if you have to to identify the brand
of batteries. Then email a picture of the leaking batteries along with
a polite note to the mfr.

They'll buy you a new one-- though may require sending the mess to them
first...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel room over
a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the batteries leaked --
the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion doesn't look bad. The bottom
battery just dropped out easily, and I was able to knock the middle battery
out by hitting the tailcap with a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't
budge. I don't see any way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

The lamp end unscrews Bob

Are you sure about that? I unscrewed the reflector, but don't see
any way to remove the LED assembly. (I neglected to mention it's an
LED model, not incandescent, can't believe I left that out)

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 3:54*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
Jim wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel room over
a year ago. *(it was under the car seat) *Two of the batteries leaked -- *
the ones closest to the lamp. *The corrosion doesn't look bad. The bottom
battery just dropped out easily, and I was able to knock the middle battery
out by hitting the tailcap with a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't
budge. *I don't see any way to take it apart from the lamp end. *Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

* *The lamp end unscrews Bob

Are you sure about that? *I unscrewed the reflector, but don't see
any way to remove the LED assembly. (I neglected to mention it's an
LED model, not incandescent, can't believe I left that out)

Thanks,
Bob- Hide quoted text -

Contact the battery manufacturer!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Patrick Cleburne wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel room
over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the batteries
leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion doesn't look
bad. The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and I was able to
knock the middle battery out by hitting the tailcap with a deadblow
hammer, but the last one won't budge. I don't see any way to take it
apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

The light is trashed. Saw it apart if you have to to identify the brand
of batteries. Then email a picture of the leaking batteries along with
a polite note to the mfr.

They'll buy you a new one-- though may require sending the mess to them
first...

That's a good idea. They are Duracells, dated "MAR 2013" (I got 2
of them out, and the third one won't budge.) It's a $20-something
flashlight.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 15:26:35 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel
room over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the
batteries leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion
doesn't look bad. The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and I
was able to knock the middle battery out by hitting the tailcap with
a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't budge. I don't see any
way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

I wouldn't try oil as the cell has expanded in the tube. Ideas?

Cut the head off a 4" screw, chuck in a drill and try to drill some of
the battery core out to collapse it? (an idea).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel room over
a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the batteries leaked --
the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion doesn't look bad. The bottom
battery just dropped out easily, and I was able to knock the middle battery
out by hitting the tailcap with a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't
budge. I don't see any way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

Battery companies will replace items damaged by corrosion. Send it to them
and see what happens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel
room over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the
batteries leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion
doesn't look bad. The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and I
was able to knock the middle battery out by hitting the tailcap with
a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't budge. I don't see any
way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

I wouldn't try oil as the cell has expanded in the tube. Ideas?

Cut the head off a 4" screw, chuck in a drill and try to drill some of
the battery core out to collapse it? (an idea).

I'm thinking just insert a screw into the cell and use a slide hammer.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 2:15*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
Patrick Cleburne wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

Bob-

Over the years I have found & "salvaged", repaired or got DuraCell to
replace a number of full sized maglites.

I messed around with a few AA incandesant mini-mags but I found them
not worth effort even to invoke the DuraCell "If we ever damage your
flashlight" claim.

At one poiny, I did a "shoot off" between Duracells" and Energizer
alkalines. Same model flashlight stored in the same vehicle.
Duracells swelled up, seized up or leaked and failed ........in the
same amount of time the Energizers were fine.

I reported the results of my test & problem that Duracells seem to
have in Maglites.......... I got a form letter, a check for the
flashlight and a coupon for free batteries.

Now I only use Energizers in my Maglites.........and when I find a
flashlight (expensive enough to deal with) trashed by Duracells, I
just invoke their "warranty" and get it replaced for free along with
new batteries.

With the Duracell warranty its just not worth the time to fix them.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

zxcvbob wrote:
Patrick Cleburne wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

I've done that with a remote before. They didn't replace the remote but
sent me a check for about 80% of the remotes value.
Posted to alt.home.repair

tom wrote in :

zxcvbob wrote:
Patrick Cleburne wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

Bummer;some remotes are difficult if not impossible to get after a few
years of ownership,and "universal" remotes don't work on many functions,if
at all.
(and how is the value determined???)

Once again,IMO,Duracells leak more often than other brands.
I don't use them anymore.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On the filament versions, the bulb pulls out. Then, the "DO
NOT REMOVE" plastic part pulls out. Then, you can use the
flat end of a drill bit to push the other part of the DO NOT
REMOVE. I havn't tried to dissemble a LED version, they may
be totally different.

On the filament bulb mini mag varieties, I often have to
dissemble the switch assembly to clean the contacts. The
light grows dim, even on fresh batteries. I'm part engineer.
I've spent a lot of hours trying to analyze how to clean and
service a $10 flashlight.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"zxcvbob"
wrote in message ...

Are you sure about that? I unscrewed the reflector, but
don't see
any way to remove the LED assembly. (I neglected to mention
it's an
LED model, not incandescent, can't believe I left that out)

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Been tried before, seldom with any success. Being they are
alkalines, be sure and scrub everything and wash hands
afterwards. Some dilluted vinegar may help.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel"
wrote in message ...

I'm thinking just insert a screw into the cell and use a
slide hammer.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the field report. I've also heard Energizers are
more dependable. I did buy a load of AAA energizer off ebay,
slightly out of date. Many were leakers.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DD_BobK"
wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-11-29, zxcvbob wrote:

Are you sure about that? I unscrewed the reflector, but don't see
any way to remove the LED assembly. (I neglected to mention it's an
LED model, not incandescent, can't believe I left that out)

I've got a 3AA LED model, and the bulb assembly spins freely. It even
slides up and down freely about an 1/8th of an inch.

It has 2 little slots in the top. I tried grabbing it an pulling it out
with a pair of tweezers, but I felt like I was about to break the
plastic, so that doesn't seem to be the proper method of removal.

You could try Maglite's website, or send them an email about it.

http://www.maglite.com/anatomy_spare_AA_LED.asp
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel
room over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the
batteries leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion
doesn't look bad. The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and I
was able to knock the middle battery out by hitting the tailcap with
a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't budge. I don't see any
way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

I have one that I can't get open either.
I called Mag Lite once and they said they would replace it for free if
it has a specific brand name of batteries in it.

I never sent it in, but try the company.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 4:26*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel
room over a year ago. *(it was under the car seat) *Two of the
batteries leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. *The corrosion
doesn't look bad. The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and I
was able to knock the middle battery out by hitting the tailcap with
a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't budge. *I don't see any
way to take it apart from the lamp end. *Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

jee bob. I really thought, after reading the responses to my cabinets
post they were going to rip you and tell you to get a life and a new
flashlight. Very odd group here. Apparently field stripping a flash
light is high on their list of 'need to discuss' issues. My next
thread will be titled 'how do I repair (not replace) a leaky flapper
valve on my toilet'..There should be high interest in that considering
the IQ and temperment here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:13:50 -0800 (PST), in2dadark
wrote:

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

jee bob. I really thought, after reading the responses to my cabinets
post they were going to rip you and tell you to get a life and a new
flashlight. Very odd group here. Apparently field stripping a flash
light is high on their list of 'need to discuss' issues. My next
thread will be titled 'how do I repair (not replace) a leaky flapper
valve on my toilet'..There should be high interest in that considering
the IQ and temperment here.

Smart people don't use Google Groups to participate here. Many will
not even respond to a thread from Google, regardless of IQ of a
poster.

That is/may be the reason you don't get the answer(s) you desire.

"Very odd group here" - ain't that some ****!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

jee bob. I really thought, after reading the responses to my cabinets
post they were going to rip you and tell you to get a life and a new
flashlight. Very odd group here. Apparently field stripping a flash
light is high on their list of 'need to discuss' issues. My next
thread will be titled 'how do I repair (not replace) a leaky flapper
valve on my toilet'..There should be high interest in that considering
the IQ and temperment here.

Smart people don't use Google Groups to participate here. Many will
not even respond to a thread from Google, regardless of IQ of a
poster.

That is/may be the reason you don't get the answer(s) you desire.

"Very odd group here" - ain't that some ****!

'Very odd group here' - he says that like it is a bad thing! I find this
group very educational and useful, and I grew up in the frigging
business. The vast (or half-vast) range of different life experiences
the regulars on here have had, have given them a range of real-world
experience I could never match. I suppose the personality traits and
quirks of some of the regulars may be a little scary or offensive to
those that have never swung a hammer, but I dealt with people like that
on the job sites every day, so it doesn't faze me.

And to bring this back on-thread- I never had a battery leak in a
mag-lite so bad that I couldn't bang it out by slamming the closed tail
on a board repeatedly. (after removing both bulbs, of course.) I think
mag-lite has gone downhill since they went mass-market. Keep meaning to
get LED conversions for the ones I have, if I ever find them all.
--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Might have to pull the piece out with fingernails. Or, it
may be a different design than the 2AA filament bulb
designs.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ShadowTek" wrote in message
n...

I've got a 3AA LED model, and the bulb assembly spins
freely. It even
slides up and down freely about an 1/8th of an inch.

It has 2 little slots in the top. I tried grabbing it an
pulling it out
with a pair of tweezers, but I felt like I was about to
break the
plastic, so that doesn't seem to be the proper method of
removal.

You could try Maglite's website, or send them an email about
it.

http://www.maglite.com/anatomy_spare_AA_LED.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

Correct. There is no predicting what will interest, or
inflame the writers on this list.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"in2dadark" wrote in message

jee bob. I really thought, after reading the responses to my
cabinets
post they were going to rip you and tell you to get a life
and a new
flashlight. Very odd group here. Apparently field stripping
a flash
light is high on their list of 'need to discuss' issues. My
next
thread will be titled 'how do I repair (not replace) a
leaky flapper
valve on my toilet'..There should be high interest in that
considering
the IQ and temperment here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel room over
a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the batteries leaked --
the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion doesn't look bad. The bottom
battery just dropped out easily, and I was able to knock the middle battery
out by hitting the tailcap with a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't
budge. I don't see any way to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

I have had little luck with the Mini-Maglites that suffered from leaking
batteries. They CAN be disassembled, but I have only had one that I put
back into service. I wonder why so many of them have leaky batteries, and
in all my other battery devices, they don't leak as much.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Nite Ize from Walmart is very respectable conversion.
Good light. Slightly blue. No focussing ability. Never blows
a bulb, batteries last longer.

Teralux is also excellent. I've got the one watt Teralux,
and really love it. Reasonably white light, a hint of blue.
Bright, and can be focussed.

With my Teralux, I bought me a new Minimag from walmart. The
threads are so loose, it kept turning itself on in my
pocket. I used an older Minimag, which works perfectly.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message
news
And to bring this back on-thread- I never had a battery leak
in a
mag-lite so bad that I couldn't bang it out by slamming the
closed tail
on a board repeatedly. (after removing both bulbs, of
course.) I think
mag-lite has gone downhill since they went mass-market. Keep
meaning to
get LED conversions for the ones I have, if I ever find them
all.
--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in
:

I have had little luck with the Mini-Maglites that suffered from
leaking batteries. They CAN be disassembled, but I have only had one
that I put back into service. I wonder why so many of them have leaky
batteries, and in all my other battery devices, they don't leak as
much.

Steve

it's not the MiniMag that is at fault for leaking batteries.
It's the batteries themselves.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Me: So You have a degree in Criminal Justice?

Person: Yes!

Me: Okay forget everything you learned in class. We run a penal
institution!

And to bring this back on-thread- I never had a battery leak in a
mag-lite so bad that I couldn't bang it out by slamming the closed tail
on a board repeatedly. (after removing both bulbs, of course.) I think
mag-lite has gone downhill since they went mass-market. Keep meaning to
get LED conversions for the ones I have, if I ever find them all.

I now have to look for my military flashlight. Switch is brass and all
contacts inside are copper. Must be 30 + years old. Never a leak or
corrosion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What brand of batteries?

I've also found with some, the machine threads to the
focussing head are so sloppy, they turn themselves on.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

I have had little luck with the Mini-Maglites that suffered
from leaking
batteries. They CAN be disassembled, but I have only had
one that I put
back into service. I wonder why so many of them have leaky
batteries, and
in all my other battery devices, they don't leak as much.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had minimags that seemed to like turning themselves on.
The newer ones from Walmart, that is.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...

it's not the MiniMag that is at fault for leaking batteries.
It's the batteries themselves.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had such an angle head light. Back, well, a lot of years
ago. I recently found my web gear, and decided to see if the
contents were at all usable. Sure enough, the batteries
corroded the flash light to destruction. I beat on it for a
while, soaked, and finally think I pitched it out. I'll have
to go look -- might take up the manufacturer on the leak
warranty. I can't remember which brand, and it's probably
trashed by now.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren"
wrote in message

I now have to look for my military flashlight. Switch is
brass and all
contacts inside are copper. Must be 30 + years old. Never a
leak or
corrosion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:

Patrick Cleburne wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

There is an 800 number on the battery, just call that and they will give
you mailing instructions to send it in. It will end up costing you just
a couple $ in postage to get it repaired / replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
tom wrote in :

zxcvbob wrote:
Patrick Cleburne wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

A lot of people don't know about these folks. It's where I
refer anyone looking for a hard to find replacement remote.

http://www.replacementremotes.com/

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel
room over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the
batteries leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion
doesn't look bad. The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and I
was able to knock the middle battery out by hitting the tailcap with
a deadblow hammer, but the last one won't budge. I don't see any way
to take it apart from the lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

Bob

I wouldn't try oil as the cell has expanded in the tube. Ideas?

Cut the head off a 4" screw, chuck in a drill and try to drill some of
the battery core out to collapse it? (an idea).

I'm thinking just insert a screw into the cell and use a slide hammer.

nate

I have one of these that works fairly well for pulling things out.
It's designed for starting wood screws but drill a little hole in
something, twist this thing in and pull.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KFZ0AU/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hey, the "non-odds" are very boring. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
What brand of batteries?

I've also found with some, the machine threads to the
focussing head are so sloppy, they turn themselves on.

A drop or two of STP or silicone damping fluid works
wonders on those threads.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Jim Yanik wrote:
tom wrote in :

zxcvbob wrote:
Patrick Cleburne wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

A couple months ago I discovered that some Walgreens batteries had
leaked in my 10 year old DVD remote and had trashed it. Fortunately my
Comcast cable remote has an Aux feature and the instructions even listed
the correct code and that's now also my DVD remote. Worked out fine and
I now have one less remote to juggle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"in2dadark" wrote in message
[...]

You asked a STUPID question , through Google Groups no less , about cabinet
prices in your area when there is no way in hell anybody on here could
possibly know that...Jesh , post the phone numbers to HD , Lowes and the
mom&pop in your area and I'll call them and find out for you....Mommy dress
you in the morning too ??? LOL....Assclown...I'm begining to see why others
filter out the Google Idiots...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:32:59 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On the filament versions, the bulb pulls out. Then, the "DO
NOT REMOVE" plastic part pulls out. Then, you can use the
flat end of a drill bit to push the other part of the DO NOT
REMOVE. I havn't tried to dissemble a LED version, they may
be totally different.

Yeah, I'm thinking the LED must be different - I've taken the little
AA-cell maglites apart before (admittedly long ago) and I don't remember
there being any gotchas at all.

From memory: unscrew head, remove reflector bowl, bulb, and plastic insert
- from other end, unscrew tail-cap, and you're left with a hollow tube
with (corroded) batteries in it. Insert something into tube body, smack
with a hammer, clean* up afterwards.

* one of my maglites had a Duracell leak inside it. Wish I'd known about
the warranty; I cleaned it up and neutralized the leak and thankfully it
came back with no problem (little bit of pitting left inside the lamp
body) - but a new maglite would have been less trouble.

Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel room
over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the batteries
leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion doesn't look bad.
The bottom battery just dropped out easily, and I was able to knock the
middle battery out by hitting the tailcap with a deadblow hammer, but
the last one won't budge. I don't see any way to take it apart from the
lamp end. Any ideas?

I wonder if some penetrating oil would help?

If the batteries are EverReady (energizers) they are still guaranteed
not to leak. Send the lights to them and they will repair or replace
them for free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:47:53 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:
Patrick Cleburne wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

I called Duracell. After waiting on hold for a half hour and
listening to the worst music in the world and being told repeatedly
"your call is very important to us...", they picked up just as I was
about to hang up. Took my information over the phone and will be
sending me a check for $20 (almost enough to replace the flashlight)
and some coupons. They don't want me to send it back -- so I may
still try to drill the swollen battery out but it's *awfully* deep in
there, and I'll bet the switch doesn't work anymore and it's
integrated with the LED assembly.

Bob

Call Maglite and get a two for one deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
:

wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:
Patrick Cleburne wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

why should Maglite repair or replace a product of theirs damaged by a
battery made by someone else? I'd refer the customer to the battery maker.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik