Posted to alt.home.repair

Default building an apron around spa tub

Hi, I have a couple of questions about building an apron around my spa
tub that I have in my bathroom. I want to build the apron and then
tile it. Should I be using plywood as the base or cement board. Also,
I am putting in an access area where the motor is. Any advice about
this would be great!
Thanks
Janet

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
caledongrl wrote:
Hi, I have a couple of questions about building an apron around my
spa tub that I have in my bathroom. I want to build the apron and
then tile it. Should I be using plywood as the base or cement board.

How are you making the apron? If you are using 2x4s - especially on
16" centers - 1/2 " cement board should be OK. You *could* use ply
(well supported) and then put 1/2" cement board over that. You could
even use 2x4s, ply AND cement board. IOW, make it strong and top
with cement board to lay on the tile with thinset.

If it's something people might sit on, you should probably use plywood and
cement board on those surfaces.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 12:44*pm, caledongrl wrote:
Hi, I have a couple of questions about building an apron around my spa
tub that I have in my bathroom. *I want to build the apron and then
tile it. Should I be using plywood as the base or cement board. Also,
I am putting in an access area where the motor is. Any advice about
this would be great!
Thanks
Janet

A little more info on the access area might help.

Where will it be located? How big will it need to be? etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 12:44*pm, caledongrl wrote:
Hi, I have a couple of questions about building an apron around my spa
tub that I have in my bathroom. *I want to build the apron and then
tile it. Should I be using plywood as the base or cement board. Also,
I am putting in an access area where the motor is. Any advice about
this would be great!
Thanks
Janet

Google is our friend.

Not sure how you deal with the grout lines...

http://www.tile-experts.com/products.asp?id=36

Tileable, with a metal frame...

http://www.accessdoorsdirect.com/retiacdo24x2.html

Looks cheap, but they say it's tileable...

http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/1...htm?Click=7805

Posted to alt.home.repair
dss dss is offline

Janet,

Go to http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php

This is a website where tile professionals will walk you through a
project like yours. They give great advice and it's free.

Good luck with the project.

dss

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 8:14*am, dss wrote:
Janet,

Go tohttp://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php

This is a website where tile professionals will walk you through a
project like yours. They give great advice and it's free.

Good luck with the project.

dss

Thanks for all the advice. I am thinking that I will go with the
1/4 cement board and 3/4" ply route and add in more vertical 2x4's
for added support. I will check out the site in case there is an
alternative. You just screw the cement board onto the ply correct?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 8:20*am, caledongrl wrote:
You just screw the cement board onto the ply correct?

I'd just tile over plywood.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
dss dss is offline

Janet,

You really should have some kind of substrate over the plywood. You'll
need a layer of thinset between the ply and regular cement board so it
starts to add up. There are other substrate options (Ditra) that
aren't as thick. You also want plywood and substrate on the front and/
or sides. Tiling directly on plywood is asking for trouble. You may
also want to waterproof the deck if you've got splashy people. (I'm
assuming there is no shower.) You don't want to have to re-do this
project just because you cut some corners.

A vent cover should work for the access. You could also use matching
tile on the cover and caulk it in place or use magnets.

Don't forget to have fun.

dss

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 6:18*pm, dss wrote:

Tiling directly on plywood is asking for trouble.

Fascinating analysis.

You may
also want to waterproof the deck if you've got splashy people.

Tile...?
-----

- gpsman

Workbench Apron dayvo Woodworking 4 May 22nd 08 10:13 PM
Lee Valley Apron Plane [email protected] Woodworking 1 November 8th 06 04:30 AM
Curved apron stoutman Woodworking 3 June 13th 05 07:39 PM
Apron for MDF workbench top? lance Woodworking 4 May 2nd 05 05:03 AM
Shop Apron Never Enough Money Woodworking 70 March 7th 05 08:43 PM