Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator not cold enough

What should I check first? The fridge is over 10 years old...

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35.5
Posted to alt.home.repair

Man-wai Chang wrote:

What should I check first? The fridge is over 10 years old...

Need more info.

Checked the setting?
Is this a new problem?
Door seals look OK?
Make and model of refrig?
Posted to alt.home.repair

What should I check first? The fridge is over 10 years old...
Need more info.
Checked the setting?

Max cool!

Is this a new problem?

It's been like these for many years.

Door seals look OK?

Yes.

Make and model of refrig?

Forgot... bought in Hong Kong.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35.5
^ ^ 20:55:01 up 2 days 10:23 1 user load average: 0.15 0.10 0.03
Posted to alt.home.repair

Man-wai Chang wrote:

What should I check first? The fridge is over 10 years old...

See if its froze up. Unplug for 24 hours and see if excessive water ice
melt flows out of it.

--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!
Posted to alt.home.repair

See if its froze up. Unplug for 24 hours and see if excessive water ice
melt flows out of it.

That's what I wanna do, but my mother is NOT convinced...

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35.5
^ ^ 21:10:01 up 2 days 10:38 1 user load average: 0.00 0.01 0.00

Posted to alt.home.repair

Man-wai Chang, 9/25/2010,9:12:23 AM, wrote:

See if its froze up. Unplug for 24 hours and see if excessive water
ice melt flows out of it.

That's what I wanna do, but my mother is NOT convinced...

Tell her that is what happened to my refrigerator and it cost me $100
to find out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-25, Man-wai Chang wrote:

What should I check first? The fridge is over 10 years old...

See http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html

How much are you paying for electricity (per KWH)? There
is a good chance you would be better off replacing the
refrigerator anyway because it is using a lot more
electricity than current models.

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:50:29 -0400, "badgolferman"
wrote:

Man-wai Chang, 9/25/2010,9:12:23 AM, wrote:

See if its froze up. Unplug for 24 hours and see if excessive water
ice melt flows out of it.

That's what I wanna do, but my mother is NOT convinced...

Tell her that is what happened to my refrigerator and it cost me $100
to find out.

You mean for a service call for the service man to unplug it?

When I was 9, my mother kept blowing a fuse, and she didn't know whwy
and she called an electrician. All he did is unplug everything then
go around plugging things in again. Even at age 9, I was sort of
ashamed I hadn't done that first. I didn't expect that from my
mother. By 12 she was my muscle and I would tell her what to do to
fix things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Man-wai Chang, 9/25/2010,9:12:23 AM, wrote:

See if its froze up. Unplug for 24 hours and see if excessive

water ice melt flows out of it.

That's what I wanna do, but my mother is NOT convinced...

Tell her that is what happened to my refrigerator and it cost me
$100 to find out.

You mean for a service call for the service man to unplug it?

When I was 9, my mother kept blowing a fuse, and she didn't know whwy
and she called an electrician. All he did is unplug everything then
go around plugging things in again. Even at age 9, I was sort of
ashamed I hadn't done that first. I didn't expect that from my
mother. By 12 she was my muscle and I would tell her what to do to
fix things.

When we bought the house it came with a 1 year warranty for any
appliance in the house and other possible problems. We used it several
times and every service call had a $100 deductible. The refrigerator
is an old Maytag and my wife wanted the warranty company to buy us a
new refrigerator like they had the $1200 Jenn-Air drop-in stove. The
serviceman decided the only thing wrong was that it had frozen up and
he defrosted it with a hair dryer. I kind of prefer this side-by-side
anyway over the newer ones. The inside is bigger than the new ones
I've seen.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

LOL. BTW, I didn't mean to compare our two events as similar in
complicatedness (compicatidity?), just in how things look different in
hindsight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

See http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html

Thanks

How much are you paying for electricity (per KWH)? There
is a good chance you would be better off replacing the
refrigerator anyway because it is using a lot more
electricity than current models.

I agree.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35.5
^ ^ 16:15:01 up 3 days 5:43 1 user load average: 0.00 0.00 0.00
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2010 5:28 AM, wrote:
On 25 Sep 2010 15:08:32 GMT, Jonathan

On 2010-09-25, Man-wai wrote:

What should I check first? The fridge is over 10 years old...

See
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html

How much are you paying for electricity (per KWH)? There
is a good chance you would be better off replacing the
refrigerator anyway because it is using a lot more
electricity than current models.

My fridge is from 1940 to 1950. Just the basic round topped old WELL
BUILT models that last forever. No real freezer space, but it always
works. I can guarantee it uses LESS electricity than the new ones
with all their defrosting elements, ice makers, and other useless
gadgets.

I remember a fridge my mother bought back in the 60's for a temporary
home while at school. It was old then, the compressor was on the top
and belt driven. It was heavy and built like a tank, it's probably
still running in a garage or basement somewhere. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 29, 6:58*am, wrote:
On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 21:12:23 +0800, Man-wai Chang

wrote:
See if its froze up. Unplug for 24 hours and see if excessive water ice
melt flows out of it.

That's what I wanna do, but my mother is NOT convinced...

Handcuff her and lock her in a closet

There's a good chance you need freon, but try the unplugging method
first.

Or you could fix it like the drunks do. *(This really happened). *Back
in my teens, we were renting a house and the fridge quit working. *It
was a furnished house and the fridge came with the place. *We called
the landlord, who was always drunk. *He comes over and looks at it and
says he needs my help to take it outside to the porch. *So we get it
out on the porch and he wiggles the temperature knob back and forth
several times, and gets an extension cord and plugs it back in, on the
porch and leaves. *Now, I was young, but I could not understand why it
would work on the porch if not in the kitchen. *

Several hours later he returns, opens the door on the fridge and
starts cussing at it. *Then he shoves the fridge right off the edge of
the porch, it drops about 4 feet and lands on it's top on the concrete
sidewalk, while cussing at it the whole time. *Then he knocks it over
on it's side and tells me to help him put it back on the porch. *I'm
standing there thinking the guy's flipped his lid, but whatever, I
help him get it back on the porch in a normal position. *He plugs it
back in, and says "it'll work now", and leaves again. *At this point,
I'm convinced he was much too drunk, and we would be without a fridge
for quite a while. *

That evening he comes back, staggering badly and opens the fridge
door. *He says "works now", and he leaves. *Sure at ****.... That
fridge worked perfectly. *All dented up, but it worked. *He never did
come back to take it in the house, so we used it on the porch for a
few days until we got some help getting it back in the kitchen. *That
fridge worked until we moved about a year later. *That was many many
years ago, and to this day, I still dont understand how dropping it
off the porch fixed it..... or was it his cussing that fixed it?

When I first starte din the computer industry the place I was working
had these old combo screen/keyboard devices from Prime. Sort of like
the old wang terminals. They would quit and the fix was to pick them
up about a foot off the desk and drop them. Worked all the time.
Never bothered to figure out why but it sure was funny to watch the
new employees when you "fixed" one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

My fridge is from 1940 to 1950. Just the basic round topped old WELL
BUILT models that last forever. No real freezer space, but it always
works. I can guarantee it uses LESS electricity than the new ones
with all their defrosting elements, ice makers, and other useless
gadgets.

You might actually be right about the energy consumption, but not
because of the gadgets. Your fridge was manufactured when engineers, who
understood the value of insulation, dictated design.

Then came the seventies and eighties, when the God of Cubic Feet was put
in charge. Lest we forget: Interior space was maximized by reducing the
space between the inner and outer walls. Of course, the thickness of the
insulation was reduced so much that condensation began forming on the
outside of the fridge.

This was addressed by adding a *heating coil* inside the outer wall* of
the fridge, further sabotaging the very nature of a refrigerator. I'm
sure you remember the "energy saver" switch in the fridge. That turned
the heating coil off during dry weather, when condensation was unlikely
to form.

Of course, idiots that we are, we swallowed that "energy saver" concept
hook, line, and sinker. Lie about something often enough, with a few
emotional trigger words thrown in, and the masses fall at your feet.

------------------

*my first 40 hr./week job was working in a refrigerator factory,
installing those heating coils right after the outer shell came out of
the paint booth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When I first starte din the computer industry the place I was working
had these old combo screen/keyboard devices from Prime. Sort of like
the old wang terminals. They would quit and the fix was to pick them
up about a foot off the desk and drop them. Worked all the time.

Prime... I had worked in a market research company that used it as the
main workhorse! I actually soldered a null-modem serial cable and
connected the hi-speed printer of that Prime mini-comnputer with the new
Novell Netware server back then. It worked without error!

The Prime mini-computer was retired later. Now that market research
company is part of AC Nielsen.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35.5
^ ^ 21:24:01 up 6 days 10:52 2 users load average: 0.00 0.00 0.21