Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Torque in electrical box

Hello,
I was hoping to get some help from the electrical guys. I have been doing
a little rewiring and I have read about making sure the proper torque is use
in the connections but I have never seen any electrician use any kind of
torque device.

I am willing to buy and use the proper tools. The Big box stores only have
torque wrenches. I assume I am looking for a torque screwdriver? Anyone
actually use one of these? any recommendations?

The other confusing thing is the electrical boxes indicate lbs-in is this
actually inch pounds?

Thanks for the help
Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harbor Freight has chinese made ones for a lot cheaper. You can get a
20% off coupon, from Ebay, save you a pile of money. They try to only
sell them to electricians. If the clerks say they don't have em. Don't
take no for answer. In the electrical section. sometimes in screw
drivers.

This advice worth what you paid for it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rob" wrote in message
Hello,
I was hoping to get some help from the electrical guys. I have been
doing
a little rewiring and I have read about making sure the proper torque
is use
in the connections but I have never seen any electrician use any kind
of
torque device.

I am willing to buy and use the proper tools. The Big box stores only
have
torque wrenches. I assume I am looking for a torque screwdriver?
Anyone
actually use one of these? any recommendations?

The other confusing thing is the electrical boxes indicate lbs-in is
this
actually inch pounds?

Thanks for the help
Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Rob" wrote:
Hello,
I was hoping to get some help from the electrical guys. I have been doing
a little rewiring and I have read about making sure the proper torque is use
in the connections but I have never seen any electrician use any kind of
torque device.

I am willing to buy and use the proper tools. The Big box stores only have
torque wrenches. I assume I am looking for a torque screwdriver? Anyone
actually use one of these? any recommendations?

You can use a torque screwdriver, or a torque wrench. Either one will work
just fine.

The other confusing thing is the electrical boxes indicate lbs-in is this
actually inch pounds?

Yes. Pound-inches and inch-pounds are the same thing.

FWIW, the best place that I've found to get a good inch-pound torque wrench is
Sears. Many auto parts stores sell what they *claim* is an inch-pound torque
wrench, but the typical range is 120 to 960 inch pounds -- which means it's
really a 10 to 80 *foot*pound wrench that's been marked in inch-pounds. You'll
quickly realize that it's of no use at all for electrical work, or, for what I
wanted it for, rebuilding a transmission, where the typical torques are 40-50
inch-pounds or so. The one I got at Sears was something like 20 to 200
inch-pounds, which did the job just fine.

If you happen to live in Indianapolis, email me at MillerDL at uindy dot edu,
we can probably work something out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rob" wrote in message
Hello,
I was hoping to get some help from the electrical guys. I have been doing
a little rewiring and I have read about making sure the proper torque is
use in the connections but I have never seen any electrician use any kind
of torque device.

I am willing to buy and use the proper tools. The Big box stores only
have torque wrenches. I assume I am looking for a torque screwdriver?
Anyone actually use one of these? any recommendations?

The other confusing thing is the electrical boxes indicate lbs-in is this
actually inch pounds?

Thanks for the help
Rob

Yes do it right and tighten the main lug nuts to the manufacturer's
specifications. FYI - 12 inch pounds = 1 foot pound.

Use a regular automotive torque wrench. You can get hex sockets at an
automotive store. Take the lug nut or panel with you to get the correct size
socket.

And tightening just right is *very* important for these connections. They
can get warm/hot if not tight enough. And for the King Kong men... A torque
wrench makes sure they do not tighten it too tight and wreck the panel!

Also if using aluminum wire, be sure to apply anti-oxidant goop to the wire
before inserting into the connection. I use an old toothbrush and brush it
on.

Not applying the goop and not tightening enough and you will find your
electricity going out in a period of time! (A common problem with panels
which are not installed properly...)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Bill" wrote:
Use a regular automotive torque wrench.

Not for electrical panels. A "regular automotive torque wrench" has a
*minimum* reading of 10 foot-pounds = 120 inch-pounds, which is much too high
for most electrical applications IME.

If you want to do it right, you need an inch-pound torque wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks I don't have a local Harbor Freight but I do see a cheap one on line.
I was going to look at our Sears store but might go with Harbor Freight
since this will see very light duty.

Rob

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Harbor Freight has chinese made ones for a lot cheaper. You can get a
20% off coupon, from Ebay, save you a pile of money. They try to only
sell them to electricians. If the clerks say they don't have em. Don't
take no for answer. In the electrical section. sometimes in screw
drivers.

This advice worth what you paid for it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Rob"
wrote:
[...]

Doug,
I appreciate the offer but I am in Pennsylvania. I'll ask some friends who
do some automotive work to see if they have an inch-pound one, but it seems
to me everyone skimps on the torque wrenches. Otherwise I will look at
Sears or maybe go with Harbor Freight.

Thanks again
Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
"Rob" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Bill I plan on doing those things

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/21/2010 11:03 PM, Rob wrote:
"Doug wrote in message
In ,
wrote:
[...]

Anyone who even pretends to do transmission work properly should have an
inch-pound wrench.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair