Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Torque to 80 lb-in how?

I am using no hub couplings to connect drain pipes and the couplings are
made of stainless steel clamps with a 3/8" hex head with specifications
called for tightening to 80 pound-in.

I have a torque wrench that will tighten to 60 pound-inch and then releases
but not 80, and I don't want to pay a lot of money to for a 90 pound-in
torque wrench just to tighten 2 couplings and will not have a use for it
ever. Is there any trick anyone can think of that would allow me to tighen
to that specification?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:15:40 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I am using no hub couplings to connect drain pipes and the couplings are
made of stainless steel clamps with a 3/8" hex head with specifications
called for tightening to 80 pound-in.

I have a torque wrench that will tighten to 60 pound-inch and then releases
but not 80, and I don't want to pay a lot of money to for a 90 pound-in
torque wrench just to tighten 2 couplings and will not have a use for it
ever. Is there any trick anyone can think of that would allow me to tighen
to that specification?

Thanks,

MC

Use an extention to increase the leverage between the click mechanism
and the screw head. Or use a pull scale on the end of a wrench and do
the calculations for length. 8 lbs on a 10 inch wrench would do it.

Besides, the torque is NOT terribly critical. I generally make them
"wrist tight" using a 3 inch ratchet or "pretty durn tight" with a
screwdriver.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Yup.....

80 in-lbs is 6.5 ft-lbs

or

~ 8 lbs on a 10" (like the size of a 1/2" drive ratchet)
or

~15 lbs on a 3/8 drive ratchet

not a lot of force

or

put your torque wrench in a vice and drive the socket end to it with a
wrench or ratchet....."calibrate" your arm, hand, wrist to 60 in-lbs
and add 1/3 of oyur 80 in-lbs

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

I've never seen anyone actually using a torque wrench on these
couplings. You just tighten them up like most things, to be
reasonably tight, but not risk stripping them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

put your torque wrench in a vice and drive the socket end to it with a
wrench or ratchet....."calibrate" your arm, hand, wrist to 60 in-lbs
and add 1/3 of oyur 80 in-lbs

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

I've never seen anyone actually using a torque wrench on these
couplings. You just tighten them up like most things, to be
reasonably tight, but not risk stripping them.

Ditto, its just a coupling, grab a tool and tighten it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
cations,
"nefletch" wrote:

put your torque wrench in a vice and drive the socket end to it with a
wrench or ratchet....."calibrate" your arm, hand, wrist to 60 in-lbs
and add 1/3 of oyur 80 in-lbs

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

I've never seen anyone actually using a torque wrench on these
couplings. You just tighten them up like most things, to be
reasonably tight, but not risk stripping them.

Ditto, its just a coupling, grab a tool and tighten it...

My old copy of "How to Fix Your Volkswagon - A Manual for the Compleat
(sic) Idiot" had a torque setting reference chart. I don't remember
details but it was along the lines of opening a new ketchup bottle being
so many foot-pounds and having your linebacker friend jump up and down
on a six foot extension handle being so many foot-pounds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 14, 5:17*am, "nefletch" wrote:
put your torque wrench in a vice and drive the socket end to it with a
wrench or ratchet....."calibrate" your arm, hand, wrist to 60 in-lbs
and add 1/3 of oyur 80 in-lbs

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

I've never seen anyone actually using a torque wrench on these
couplings. * You just tighten them up like most things, to be
reasonably tight, but not risk stripping them.

Ditto, its just a coupling, grab a tool and tighten it...

Although, for most (many?) of us on AHR, tightening a wide range of
things is second nature.....after YEARS of doing so.

For some, every new device or situation, is just that.....a new
situation. Without experience or a "reference", it is hard for these
folks to execute confidently on these new and unfamiliar tasks.

I had a 15+ year apprenticeship on all manner of mechancial devices &
situations (followed by another 30+ years of professional
practice) ..... not everyone has the luxury of such an experience.

That's why it is helpful to "know one's audience" and to attempt to
relate the real world of mechanical experience to something they can
"measure".

As they gain experience, they will eventually "just grab a wrench &
tighten it".

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 10:15*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I am using no hub couplings to connect drain pipes and the couplings are
made of stainless steel clamps with a 3/8" hex head with specifications
called for tightening to 80 pound-in.

I have a torque wrench that will tighten to 60 pound-inch and then releases
but not 80, and I don't want to pay a lot of money to for a 90 pound-in
torque wrench just to tighten 2 couplings and will not have a use for it
ever. *Is there any trick anyone can think of that would allow me to tighen
to that specification?

Thanks,

MC

Wait till it releases at 60 in-lb and then tighten it a little more.

You'll be close enough to 80 for what you're connecting. Test it
before concealing it if you're concerned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Divide by 12 to get foot pounds, and then use your foot
pound wrench?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Torque D.M. Procida UK diy 3 January 12th 09 02:22 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 23rd 08 07:30 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 0 January 21st 08 10:51 PM
All Torque? The Medway Handyman UK diy 19 August 1st 07 11:14 PM
Torque Nirvana Woodturning 17 October 13th 05 02:42 AM