Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Torque to 80 lb-in how?

In article
cations,
"nefletch" wrote:

put your torque wrench in a vice and drive the socket end to it with a
wrench or ratchet....."calibrate" your arm, hand, wrist to 60 in-lbs
and add 1/3 of oyur 80 in-lbs

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

I've never seen anyone actually using a torque wrench on these
couplings. You just tighten them up like most things, to be
reasonably tight, but not risk stripping them.

Ditto, its just a coupling, grab a tool and tighten it...

My old copy of "How to Fix Your Volkswagon - A Manual for the Compleat
(sic) Idiot" had a torque setting reference chart. I don't remember
details but it was along the lines of opening a new ketchup bottle being
so many foot-pounds and having your linebacker friend jump up and down
on a six foot extension handle being so many foot-pounds.