Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Staining fence

We got a new picket fence installed and are wondering how to stain it.

The issue is that the posts are not the same kind of wood as the rest
of the fence, as the posts are pressure treated and the fence is
cedar.

Since they're not the same, will they look different after we stain
them? We were thinking of some kind of red-ish stain.

Also, my wife had the idea that we could use some kind of stain (or
something) on the cedar that would bring its current color our, and
then somehow stain the posts to match. I think that trying to get
something to match, and for the match to hold, would be hard to do,
but I'm not sure.

TIA,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:42:46 -0700 (PDT), woger151
wrote:

We got a new picket fence installed and are wondering how to stain it.

The issue is that the posts are not the same kind of wood as the rest
of the fence, as the posts are pressure treated and the fence is
cedar.

Since they're not the same, will they look different after we stain
them? We were thinking of some kind of red-ish stain.

Yes, they will likely look different, even if they were the same wood. That's
not necessarily a bad thing.

Also, my wife had the idea that we could use some kind of stain (or
something) on the cedar that would bring its current color our, and
then somehow stain the posts to match. I think that trying to get
something to match, and for the match to hold, would be hard to do,
but I'm not sure.

Staining the cedar is a good idea. Matching will be difficult and it probably
won't stay that way unless you use a solid stain, in which case it'll all be
equally ugly. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sikkens SRD is a very good stain. The fence will need to weather before
you can seal it at all. They sell sample products so you can test. You
will also need to clean the fence before sealing and allow 72 hours
drying time before applying.

--
Airport Shuttle

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com)
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

ply staining walntluvr Woodworking 11 June 17th 08 03:21 AM
Oak staining help mark Woodworking 3 April 15th 08 03:46 AM
Staining Chris Woodworking 4 August 13th 07 01:13 PM
I'm building a 6' high fence and I'm having trouble with land elevations and gaps under fence???? [email protected] Home Repair 6 June 7th 07 11:55 AM
Fence Wood Staining? Jim Woodworking 2 December 28th 05 04:41 PM