Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Staining

I'm going to stain some trim work, but it's a mix of red oak & pine.I don't
want to make it too dark, a light pecan color would be good I've tried a
few test but as you can imagine the red oak looks great but the cathedrals
in the grain become very pronounced , while the pine looks very plain next
to it. Any ideas on what I could use to blend them together?

Thx,
Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Chris wrote:
I'm going to stain some trim work, but it's a mix of red oak & pine.I don't
want to make it too dark, a light pecan color would be good I've tried a
few test but as you can imagine the red oak looks great but the cathedrals
in the grain become very pronounced , while the pine looks very plain next
to it. Any ideas on what I could use to blend them together?

Wash coat of shellac before staining to seal grain.

There's an article in the last FWW on staining pine w/ tips...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris" wrote in message
I'm going to stain some trim work, but it's a mix of red oak & pine.I
don't want to make it too dark, a light pecan color would be good I've
tried a few test but as you can imagine the red oak looks great but the
cathedrals in the grain become very pronounced , while the pine looks very
plain next to it. Any ideas on what I could use to blend them together?

Thx,
Chris

Paint?

Try putting on a spit coat of shellac to act as a sealer. You can also wipe
it down with mineral spirits first, then stain. That keeps the more porous
areas from absorbing as much. Will it blend oak and pine? I don't know as
they are much different.

You can also look into dyes. I don't have any experience with them myself,
but I've heard of using them for matching different woods. Others will know
better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris wrote:
I'm going to stain some trim work, but it's a mix of red oak &
pine.I don't want to make it too dark, a light pecan color would be
good I've tried a few test but as you can imagine the red oak
looks great but the cathedrals in the grain become very pronounced
, while the pine looks very plain next to it. Any ideas on what I
could use to blend them together?

Even if you suceed in getting them the same color, red oak is never
going to look like pine. Or vice versa.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris" wrote in message
I'm going to stain some trim work, but it's a mix of red oak & pine.I

don't
want to make it too dark, a light pecan color would be good I've tried a
few test but as you can imagine the red oak looks great but the cathedrals
in the grain become very pronounced , while the pine looks very plain next
to it. Any ideas on what I could use to blend them together?

IME, and without any restoration experience under your belt, you basically
you have three choices: paint, use a _dark_ stain (gel preferably), or use
the same kind of wood throughout.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Staining Charles Middleton UK diy 4 January 10th 06 01:23 AM
Gel-Staining HELP! bby Home Repair 5 October 27th 05 07:02 AM
Staining Philski Woodworking 16 April 13th 05 02:19 PM
Staining rag? Corey Woodworking 14 February 20th 05 12:32 PM
Staining Ash.?. stoutman Woodworking 6 December 30th 04 01:48 AM