Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hammer Drill or Rotary Hammer for poured concrete wall

I am looking for a way to create a hole through a poured concrete wall to
allow a 1-1/2 inch PVC pipe from a sump pump to go through. The "hole"
will actually be at the very top of the poured concrete wall where the wall
meets the sill plate. In fact, I could even just create a half-round
chip-out area at the top of the poured concrete for the bottom half of the
opening, and drill out the sill plate for the top half of the opening. But,
given the way everything is set up, I do need to go through the poured
concrete wall for at least part of the opening -- I can't just drill through
the sill plate etc.

I have been looking at information online about hammer drills and possibly
rotary hammers. I can find YouTube videos etc. that show people drilling
concrete, but I don't see any the show people drilling through poured
concrete basement walls. My poured concrete wall is about 6 or 8 inches
thick (I'd have to check to be sure).

My plan is to rent a hammer drill or a rotary hammer to create the hole.

Can anyone give me an idea of how hard this is to do? Will a hammer drill
or rotary hammer work for this? I am thinking that maybe I can drill
several smaller holes through the poured concrete and then chip out the rest
rather than try to drill out a single 1-1/2(+) inch hole.

Which is better to rent for this job -- a hammer drill or a rotary hammer?