Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Hammer Drill or Rotary Hammer for poured concrete wall

On Sep 20, 6:26*am, "RogerT" wrote:
I am looking for a way to create a hole through a poured concrete wall to
allow *a 1-1/2 inch PVC pipe from a sump pump to go through. *The "hole"
will actually be at the very top of the poured concrete wall where the wall
meets the sill plate. *In fact, I could even just create a half-round
chip-out area at the top of the poured concrete for the bottom half of the
opening, and drill out the sill plate for the top half of the opening. *But,
given the way everything is set up, I do need to go through the poured
concrete wall for at least part of the opening -- I can't just drill through
the sill plate etc.

I have been looking at information online about hammer drills and possibly
rotary hammers. *I can find YouTube videos etc. that show people drilling
concrete, but I don't see any the show people drilling through poured
concrete basement walls. *My poured concrete wall is about 6 or 8 inches
thick (I'd have to check to be sure).

My plan is to rent a hammer drill or a rotary hammer to create the hole.

Can anyone give me an idea of how hard this is to do? *Will a hammer drill
or rotary hammer work for this? *I am thinking that maybe I can drill
several smaller holes through the poured concrete and then chip out the rest
rather than try to drill out a single 1-1/2(+) inch hole.

Which is better to rent for this job -- a hammer drill or a rotary hammer?

Rent the rotary hammer to begin with. If you rent a 'hammer drill'
you will go back for the rotary. BTDT. You aren't going to make a
neat round hole with anything but a coring machine. Using the rotary
hammer drill a series of holes around the outline of your big hole and
knock out the webs with a hammer. Expect a big mess for cleanup.

Harry K