Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Septic System Question

Hello,

As a firm believer that the definition of true happiness is a well
working septic system, let me please ask this:

Have always used Scott toilet tissue.

Wife wants now to change to Cottonelle brand.
(please don't ask why)

Implication is that it has cotton fibers.

I believe that I read somewhere years ago that this stuff doesn't break
down, and is bad for septic systems.

Anyone have any experience with, or opinions on ?
Would hate to mess up system.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2010 7:10 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

As a firm believer that the definition of true happiness is a well
working septic system, let me please ask this:

Have always used Scott toilet tissue.

Wife wants now to change to Cottonelle brand.
(please don't ask why)

Implication is that it has cotton fibers.

I believe that I read somewhere years ago that this stuff doesn't break
down, and is bad for septic systems.

Anyone have any experience with, or opinions on ?
Would hate to mess up system.

Thanks,
Bob

Cotton is cellulose, just like paper. Might take a while longer to
break down but it should break down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 7:10*pm, Bob wrote:
Hello,

As a firm believer that the definition of true happiness is a well
working septic system, let me please ask this:

Have always used Scott toilet tissue.

Wife wants now to change to Cottonelle brand.
(please don't ask why)

Implication is that it has cotton fibers.

Implication, in this case, being erroneous.
"Is Cottonelle® Toilet Paper made with any recycled fiber?
No, it is made with virgin wood fibers."

I believe that I read somewhere years ago that this stuff doesn't break
down, and is bad for septic systems.

Anyone have any experience with, or opinions on ?
Would hate to mess up system.

The volume of paper will have more to do with creating a problem than
the type.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2010 7:10 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

As a firm believer that the definition of true happiness is a well
working septic system, let me please ask this:

Have always used Scott toilet tissue.

Wife wants now to change to Cottonelle brand.
(please don't ask why)

Implication is that it has cotton fibers.

I believe that I read somewhere years ago that this stuff doesn't break
down, and is bad for septic systems.

Anyone have any experience with, or opinions on ?
Would hate to mess up system.

Thanks,
Bob

With my old toilet I used Scott and it helped it from blocking up, but
still the toilet sucked and often blocked up. It hardly ever worked
with cottonelle.

New champion 4 (american standard) flushes well, even with the softer
fluffier paper including Cottonell.

I don't think any TP sold in the US will cause septic problems if you
have your system pumped out every few years. It's an old rumor that the
stuff all turns to liquid and never needs pumping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Bob wrote:

Hello,

As a firm believer that the definition of true happiness is a well
working septic system, let me please ask this:

Have always used Scott toilet tissue.

Wife wants now to change to Cottonelle brand.
(please don't ask why)

Implication is that it has cotton fibers.

I believe that I read somewhere years ago that this stuff doesn't break
down, and is bad for septic systems.

Anyone have any experience with, or opinions on ?
Would hate to mess up system.

Thanks,
Bob

Never had a problem with solids. Depending on your field design I'd
be more concerned with ground water level.
I try to use less water but a flush should be observed for evacuation
and if it slows it may be due to field slowing. Pump it out
professionally or yourself which depends on your area. Then there is
the issue of your traps. First one should be readily accessible for a
quick look see. Your septic tank can be bricked up to the surface so
access does not require digging a + when the ground is 25 F.

We use scotts too white.

Septic designs have changed 5 or 6 times here in the last 40 years.

Bill

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

Septic System Question Robert11[_2_] Home Repair 8 October 14th 09 06:45 PM
residential septic system question John D99 Home Repair 21 May 11th 09 05:41 AM
Septic system question Kurt Gavin Home Repair 3 September 4th 06 07:07 PM
septic system question RB Home Repair 1 June 10th 06 06:32 PM
septic system question Cartman Home Repair 18 March 7th 06 02:17 AM