Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Septic System Question

On 9/15/2010 7:10 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

As a firm believer that the definition of true happiness is a well
working septic system, let me please ask this:

Have always used Scott toilet tissue.

Wife wants now to change to Cottonelle brand.
(please don't ask why)

Implication is that it has cotton fibers.

I believe that I read somewhere years ago that this stuff doesn't break
down, and is bad for septic systems.

Anyone have any experience with, or opinions on ?
Would hate to mess up system.

Thanks,
Bob

With my old toilet I used Scott and it helped it from blocking up, but
still the toilet sucked and often blocked up. It hardly ever worked
with cottonelle.

New champion 4 (american standard) flushes well, even with the softer
fluffier paper including Cottonell.

I don't think any TP sold in the US will cause septic problems if you
have your system pumped out every few years. It's an old rumor that the
stuff all turns to liquid and never needs pumping.