Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Make a dive light out of those free HF LEDs

Thought this looked cool even though I doubt I'll ever be diving
deeper than I need to in the hot tub.

http://www.blip.tv/file/4106420/

A drill- some mineral oil & a few minutes time. Tested to 60 feet or
so. [he showed his depth watch- I forget what it said]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2010 7:59 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Thought this looked cool even though I doubt I'll ever be diving
deeper than I need to in the hot tub.

http://www.blip.tv/file/4106420/

A drill- some mineral oil& a few minutes time. Tested to 60 feet or
so. [he showed his depth watch- I forget what it said]

I thought it was a slick idea as well, pardon the pun. Did you notice
the instantaneous brightness of each light followed by a somewhat less
intense level of lighting with each light he tried? I've never noticed
that with an LED light before.

Jay
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jay Hanig wrote in
:

On 9/15/2010 7:59 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Thought this looked cool even though I doubt I'll ever be diving
deeper than I need to in the hot tub.

http://www.blip.tv/file/4106420/

A drill- some mineral oil& a few minutes time. Tested to 60 feet or
so. [he showed his depth watch- I forget what it said]

I thought it was a slick idea as well, pardon the pun. Did you notice
the instantaneous brightness of each light followed by a somewhat less
intense level of lighting with each light he tried? I've never noticed
that with an LED light before.

Jay

this LED light is curious;it has all 9 LEDs in parallel,and no current-
limiting resistor or other circuit that I could find.
It seems to rely on the internal battery impedance to regulate LED current.
So,battery type and charge level will be the difference in brightness
between different flashlights. I note they are supplied with carbon-zinc
batteries,not alkalines.

I also noticed that Bell uses the same LED assembly and battery holder in
one of their bicycle headlights,with a different outside housing.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2010 6:57 AM, Jay Hanig wrote:
On 9/15/2010 7:59 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Thought this looked cool even though I doubt I'll ever be diving
deeper than I need to in the hot tub.

http://www.blip.tv/file/4106420/

A drill- some mineral oil& a few minutes time. Tested to 60 feet or
so. [he showed his depth watch- I forget what it said]

I thought it was a slick idea as well, pardon the pun. Did you notice
the instantaneous brightness of each light followed by a somewhat less
intense level of lighting with each light he tried? I've never noticed
that with an LED light before.

I believe the change in brightness is due to the camera automatically
adjusting the brightness for brighter conditions.