Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water softener questions

I've been thinking of a water softener because I'm tired of scrubbing
lime off my sinks and tubs. I've read some of the suggestions about
using wax on faucets and was wondering if your happy with this
alternative? I have a shower filter that works great for taking out
chlorine but I don't think it does much for lime. I also have a heavy
duty counter top filter that attaches to the faucet for drinking
water.

I have heard some people say that by softening the water you take out
minerals that your body needs. Then another site I was reading says
that most of those minerals you get from regular food and you would
need to drink a bathtub full of water to get your requirements so it
doesn't matter anyway.

So what do you think? I was looking at a cheap whirlpool model and the
reviews seem to be better on those than the boss menards sells.

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 13:01:07 -0700 (PDT), Spork
wrote:

[...]

You have to take into account other things. Water hardness, proper
sizing of the softener, etc. Even potential damage to appliances
(water heater/dishwasher/clothes washer, etc.) from minerals.

A "cheap" unit is not the answer, regardless of the reviews. How much
is "cheap for the unit you reviewed?

A call to your water utility may answer the hardness issues or find
them on the 'net for your location. This site is run by a former
poster here and has great information.

http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/index.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Spork" wrote in message
[...]

I love my water softener (Rain Soft). We don't have any of the scaling
problem we used to get in our old house. We don't have to drain out water
heater, coffee machine stays clean, and showers stay cleaner,. Down side is,
if you drink a lot of water you need to be careful about the sodium intake.
They are not recommended for people with high blood pressure. You can use
potassium but it's way more expensive than salt.
If you get one installed be sure to get separate lines for your yard (or
pool if you have one) because you don't want to put all that salt in your
yard because it builds up over time. Plus, I got a under the sink water
filter that takes the salt out of our drinking water (don't for get the ice
machine, soft water doesn't make very good ice). As a side note: If getting
seperate lines is too expensive, you can shut your ws off while watering the
yard.

I think you're probably right about the nutritional aspect but I think that
is determined by how much water you drink. My father-in-law is a chemist and
he says soft-water can actually deplete you of minerals. I just ignore him
g.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Spork" wrote in message
[...]

Our town government recommends water softeners and that means a lot because
they require a lot of water to work and flush down to the sewer. Our water
is 25 hardness.

Don't get one form a big box store. They are built with poor quality resins.
If you do get a softener I recommend one from Eco Water direct. They can be
programmed to your needs. A good water softener should last 20 to 25 years.
Big box store types last 7 maybe. You can rent them but I'd avoid culligan
rentals. They are know for overpricing and hard selling and have been
bankrupted a few times. At least EcoWater is Berkshire Hathaway. there
are better models than Ecowater, like kinetico but you pay.

Yes the minerals you need are depleted fro the water but you can make this
up with vitamins!! new water softeners add about 40 to 80 mg of salt to
you daily intake. Don't ever water your plants or lawn with softener water.
It's a waste and it's nutrient deficient from the plant. Softened water
allow your washing machine, dishwasher and shower soaps to all clean better.

The unit I have is this
http://www.ecowater.ca/en/products/r...rs/err3500.php.
it has a built in charcoal filter like a Brita system as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you planning on using it whole house, I dont like softened water
for showering. How hard is your water

softened water always makes me feel slimey getting a shower

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Are you planning on using it whole house, I dont like softened water
for showering. How hard is your water

softened water always makes me feel slimey getting a shower

It does at first, but you are cleaner than ever with a lot less soap.
After a few days, it feels kind of nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Sep 12, 3:58*pm, "The Henchman" wrote:
"Spork" wrote in message

[...]

The unit I have is thishttp://www.ecowater.ca/en/products/residential/water_conditioners_sof....
it has a built in charcoal filter like a Brita system as well.

==
I have used "softened" water for twenty years on my house plants and
have had NO problems whatsoever. I use a commercial liquid fertilizer
and my African violets thrive, my hoya thrives and even my cacti do
well.

Before the use of an iron remover and softener, I couldn't see the
bottom of the bath tub as the iron content was so evident. Now it is
clear and nearly iron free. My laundry whites are no longer dark brown
and the hose filters to the washer rarely accumulate much residue.

==

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

wrote:

[...]

Just bear in mind a water softener is swapping calcium ions with
sodium ions so if you re on a salt restricted diet, don't drink a lot
of softened water.

==
Perhaps this URL may help in regard to sodium in softened water:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/sof****er

==

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's the way I understand it too. If you're on a sodium restricted diet
avoid sw.

I don't like the taste either. I have a under the sink ro filter for my
drinking but my ice water is still on sw. They taste different to me. A
little salty. (We've had our machine serviced. When the seals are out it
tastes much saltier.) Right now there is just a hint of salt.

I don't water my plants with sw but I wonder if some actually like the "hint
of salt". I know you're not susposed to use it on the yard because the salt
builds up.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 10:33*pm, "JimT" wrote:
"Spork" wrote in message

[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

He's right. You shouldn't ignore him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 10:58*pm, "The Henchman" wrote:
"Spork" wrote in message

[...]

it has a built in charcoal filter like a Brita system as well.- Hide quoted text -

Vitamins are not the same as minerals. Vitamin pills are yet another
fad to take money off you. You need to improve your diet, not ingest a
load of crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The clue is on the last lines. It's a water softener supplier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

thank you everyone for the helpful replies. Someone also contacted me
by email claiming the easy water system has worked wonders for them
and that they are not affiliated in anyway. So I started googling.
Some say no way its a gimmick, others say maybe, and some swear by it.
Anyone here have experience with it?

I think getting my water tested will be a good start. I still have
concerns about sodium ions, salt or whatever you call it in the
drinking water. It may not seem like much but you never know after
years of use. Maybe a ro under the sink would work for me but I just
bought one of the nice counter top models with a carbon filter.I'm
curious to see if the shower filter reduces lime build up over time.
Surprisingly I don't think those are a gimmick and feels better on the
skin without chlorine. Maybe the water here isn't really that bad its
just that I want a very minimal effort on cleaning. I just read
another tip that wd-40 does wonders on fiberglass and keeps minerals
from attaching. I may try this but be careful not to get on the bottom
of the tub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 10:40:46 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

The point is, the softener will stop lime deposites and improve your
laundry. But you don't want to be drinking the water from it.

Why? Soft water might have less sodium/salt than a slice of white
bread, made in Georgia.

Is your information source from the Queen?!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:30:49 -0400, "Thurman"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Not only great information, but great service at a fraction of the price.
Bought a unit from Gary last year. What a guy! A bit abrasive attitude, but
ya gotta figure he deals with a lot of people who are looking to pick his
brain, and he may not get anything in return.

He beat my local lumber yard on quality & price. In fact, lumber yard was
almost double the price since they had to "order" what I wanted.

For those interested, search this group for author: Gary Slusser
....back several years.

Old threads and now his web forums. A phone call is not advised. The
man is busy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"harry" wrote

The point is, the softener will stop lime deposites and improve your
laundry. But you don't want to be drinking the water from it.

A proper installation will take the drinking water off the incoming line
before the softener. Same with water used in the yard, but softened
water would be nice for car washing.

That's how mine is set up. We have a car washing spigot and a yard spigot.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:30:49 -0400, "Thurman"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Well, sad news. I was reading in Gary's forums. I knew Clack was shutting
down internet sales, and it is the valve Gary recommended.

Gary has RETIRED! Good for Gary! He posted in part "The bottom line is that
after 14 yrs online and 24 yrs in the business, I, actually WE are
seriously enjoying no phone calls, not answering emails and posts all over
the internet"

Looks like no need to recommend Gary anymore. Still I am very pleased I
bought from him.
Hope this link works.
http://www.qualitywaterassociates.co...php?f=2&t=1582

Posted to alt.home.repair