Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Water softener questions

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:30:49 -0400, "Thurman"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 13:01:07 -0700 (PDT), Spork
wrote:

I've been thinking of a water softener because I'm tired of scrubbing
lime off my sinks and tubs. I've read some of the suggestions about
using wax on faucets and was wondering if your happy with this
alternative? I have a shower filter that works great for taking out
chlorine but I don't think it does much for lime. I also have a heavy
duty counter top filter that attaches to the faucet for drinking
water.

I have heard some people say that by softening the water you take out
minerals that your body needs. Then another site I was reading says
that most of those minerals you get from regular food and you would
need to drink a bathtub full of water to get your requirements so it
doesn't matter anyway.

So what do you think? I was looking at a cheap whirlpool model and the
reviews seem to be better on those than the boss menards sells.

thanks

You have to take into account other things. Water hardness, proper
sizing of the softener, etc. Even potential damage to appliances
(water heater/dishwasher/clothes washer, etc.) from minerals.

A "cheap" unit is not the answer, regardless of the reviews. How much
is "cheap for the unit you reviewed?

A call to your water utility may answer the hardness issues or find
them on the 'net for your location. This site is run by a former
poster here and has great information.

http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/index.htm

Not only great information, but great service at a fraction of the price.
Bought a unit from Gary last year. What a guy! A bit abrasive attitude, but
ya gotta figure he deals with a lot of people who are looking to pick his
brain, and he may not get anything in return.

He beat my local lumber yard on quality & price. In fact, lumber yard was
almost double the price since they had to "order" what I wanted.

For those interested, search this group for author: Gary Slusser
....back several years.

Old threads and now his web forums. A phone call is not advised. The
man is busy.