Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Water softener questions

"Spork" wrote in message
I've been thinking of a water softener because I'm tired of scrubbing
lime off my sinks and tubs. I've read some of the suggestions about
using wax on faucets and was wondering if your happy with this
alternative? I have a shower filter that works great for taking out
chlorine but I don't think it does much for lime. I also have a heavy
duty counter top filter that attaches to the faucet for drinking
water.

I have heard some people say that by softening the water you take out
minerals that your body needs. Then another site I was reading says
that most of those minerals you get from regular food and you would
need to drink a bathtub full of water to get your requirements so it
doesn't matter anyway.

So what do you think? I was looking at a cheap whirlpool model and the
reviews seem to be better on those than the boss menards sells.

thanks

I love my water softener (Rain Soft). We don't have any of the scaling
problem we used to get in our old house. We don't have to drain out water
heater, coffee machine stays clean, and showers stay cleaner,. Down side is,
if you drink a lot of water you need to be careful about the sodium intake.
They are not recommended for people with high blood pressure. You can use
potassium but it's way more expensive than salt.
If you get one installed be sure to get separate lines for your yard (or
pool if you have one) because you don't want to put all that salt in your
yard because it builds up over time. Plus, I got a under the sink water
filter that takes the salt out of our drinking water (don't for get the ice
machine, soft water doesn't make very good ice). As a side note: If getting
seperate lines is too expensive, you can shut your ws off while watering the
yard.

I think you're probably right about the nutritional aspect but I think that
is determined by how much water you drink. My father-in-law is a chemist and
he says soft-water can actually deplete you of minerals. I just ignore him
g.

Jim