Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grundfos pump motor hums

After 30 years use, I replaced my water heater pump Grundfos model UP 15-18
with a new unit 3 years ago. I just noticed it no longer seems to be
working: it just hums very quietly, no vibration whatsoever. The capacitor
measures 10 uf as rated. I have 46 ohms resistance between the plug, zero
to ground. Before I replace [fairly pricey], any other tests or ideas?
Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 8:35*pm, "John Keiser"
wrote:
After 30 years use, I replaced my water heater pump Grundfos model UP 15-18
with a new unit 3 years ago. *I just noticed it no longer seems to be
working: it just *hums very quietly, no vibration whatsoever. *The capacitor
measures 10 uf as rated. *I have 46 ohms resistance between the plug, zero
to ground. *Before I replace [fairly pricey], any other tests or ideas?
Thank you.

Do you mean a circulating pump for hot water heating?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Keiser" wrote in message
newsuWdnc0Nl8zpsxHRnZ2dnUVZ_oOdnZ2d@powerusenet. com...
After 30 years use, I replaced my water heater pump Grundfos model UP
15-18 with a new unit 3 years ago. I just noticed it no longer seems to
be working: it just hums very quietly, no vibration whatsoever. The
capacitor measures 10 uf as rated. I have 46 ohms resistance between the
plug, zero to ground. Before I replace [fairly pricey], any other tests
or ideas?
Thank you.

Thee is a screw on the back of the motor. Remove it and inside you can see
the shaft. With a small screwdriver, you can turn the shaft a bit. This can
be done with power on or off. If the power is on, it may start to turn
slightly and then pick up speed. When mine were getting old, I had to do
that at the start for heating season, they they were good for the year.

When one of the pumps finally did go I replaced it with a Taco. It was just
not as quiet, but it did pump water just fine at half the price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This pumps water through solar panels.
I tried turning the shaft. Frozen solid [after only 3 years].
Guess the bearing is gone.
Not impressed with the price/quality.
I'll look into a Taco.
Thank you.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 8:35*pm, "John Keiser"
wrote:
After 30 years use, I replaced my water heater pump Grundfos model UP 15-18
with a new unit 3 years ago. *I just noticed it no longer seems to be
working: it just *hums very quietly, no vibration whatsoever. *The capacitor
measures 10 uf as rated. *I have 46 ohms resistance between the plug, zero
to ground. *Before I replace [fairly pricey], any other tests or ideas?
Thank you.

Sounds right , modern quality, old unit works 30 years, new unit works
3 years. I have old boiler pumps that never failed and a new
recirculator lasted about 3,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"John Keiser" wrote:

This pumps water through solar panels.
I tried turning the shaft. Frozen solid [after only 3 years].
Guess the bearing is gone.
Not impressed with the price/quality.
I'll look into a Taco.
Thank you.

Any reason you can't take it apart and fix it? Bearings are
user-serviceable. A pump is a pretty simple gadget.
Posted to alt.home.repair

As to your original post, check the amp draw. That's totally valuable
information.

Hope you can dissemble the pump, clean it up, and make it last for a
few more years. Some electric water pumps (Bell and Gossett comes to
mind) have oil holes to drip in some ND20 oil.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John Keiser" wrote in message
news:9p6dncIjPuqL5xHRnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@powerusenet. com...
This pumps water through solar panels.
I tried turning the shaft. Frozen solid [after only 3 years].
Guess the bearing is gone.
Not impressed with the price/quality.
I'll look into a Taco.
Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cause it doesn't know the words.

We now return to your regularly scheduled posts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"John Keiser" wrote in message

news:9p6dncIjPuqL5xHRnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@powerusenet. com...
This pumps water through solar panels.
I tried turning the shaft. *Frozen solid [after only 3 years].
Guess the bearing is gone.
Not impressed with the price/quality.
I'll look into a Taco.
Thank you.

Most modern circulating pumps have water lubricated bearings. They
don't like being stopped for long periods. Tweaking the shaft with a
screwdriver usually releases them.,
There is usually a slotted cap in the centre of the pump motor to
remove first (this is NOT the shaft.) A small ampunt of water should
come when you remove this cap, this is normal.
99% of houses in the UK have one of these pumps. Grundfos is a good
make,(possibly the best) they usually go on for 20/30 years. I would
be surprised if it went faulty so soon.
They don't like air in the sytem. The water should have an additive
that stops corrosion and helps to lubricate the pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've search but not found Grundfos parts and assumed I'd have to buy a new
pump.
I was pleasantly surprised that the local Grundfos dealer encouraged me to
bring the pump in for a free disassembly. Pump had overheated [showing
brown build up in interanls] but bearing was good. Dealer installed a new
rotor/impeller assembly and unit seems good as new. $25. I was shocked by
the high level of service.

"John Keiser" wrote in message
newsuWdnc0Nl8zpsxHRnZ2dnUVZ_oOdnZ2d@powerusenet. com...
After 30 years use, I replaced my water heater pump Grundfos model UP
15-18 with a new unit 3 years ago. I just noticed it no longer seems to
be working: it just hums very quietly, no vibration whatsoever. The
capacitor measures 10 uf as rated. I have 46 ohms resistance between the
plug, zero to ground. Before I replace [fairly pricey], any other tests
or ideas?
Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Keiser" wrote in message
I've search but not found Grundfos parts and assumed I'd have to buy a new
pump.
I was pleasantly surprised that the local Grundfos dealer encouraged me to
bring the pump in for a free disassembly. Pump had overheated [showing
brown build up in interanls] but bearing was good. Dealer installed a new
rotor/impeller assembly and unit seems good as new. $25. I was shocked
by the high level of service.

Always nice to hear a happy ending. Any idea what caused the buildup? Was
it gunk in the system?

Posted to alt.home.repair

No idea.
The water here in Hawaii is soft - rain water filtered through lava dikes.
My pipes are 30 year old copper but I never see crud in any of the faucets.
The brown residue was very thin, just enough to upset the tolerances of the
low hp motor.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"John Keiser" wrote in message
I've search but not found Grundfos parts and assumed I'd have to buy a
new pump.
I was pleasantly surprised that the local Grundfos dealer encouraged me
to bring the pump in for a free disassembly. Pump had overheated
[showing brown build up in interanls] but bearing was good. Dealer
installed a new rotor/impeller assembly and unit seems good as new. $25.
I was shocked by the high level of service.

Always nice to hear a happy ending. Any idea what caused the buildup?
Was it gunk in the system?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 11:56*pm, "John Keiser"
wrote:
[...]

Thank you.- Hide quoted text -

I'm amazed to hear he had spares. It would have been junked over
here. (UK)If the pump case is cast iron it is intended for low
pressure hot water heating(ie recirculating the same water round and
round) Ie after a while stability is achieved. They make other
pumps with bronze cases for applications where there is air or fresh
water gets into the system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Inexpensive, good quality service? That's rather rare, and good to
find.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus