Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need recommendation for knee pads

Every set of knee pads I seem to buy dig into the back of my legs and drive
me crazy after an hour of use or they keep sliding down and I'm constantly
having to pull them up. Does anybody have a recommendation for some that
are comfortable to wear and don't tend to slide down?

Thanks-in-advance

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5443 (20100911) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "CraigT" wrote:
Every set of knee pads I seem to buy dig into the back of my legs and drive
me crazy after an hour of use or they keep sliding down and I'm constantly
having to pull them up. Does anybody have a recommendation for some that
are comfortable to wear and don't tend to slide down?

This is what I use:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_264003-1492-...ductId=3029173
I've found that the tendency to slide down is much reduced by criss-crossing
the straps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 9:15*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "CraigT" wrote:
Every set of knee pads I seem to buy dig into the back of my legs and drive
me crazy after an hour of use or they keep sliding down and I'm constantly
having to pull them up. *Does anybody have a recommendation for some that
are comfortable to wear and don't tend to slide down?

try a sports store and look at the kind indoor volleyball players use

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2010 8:59 PM, CraigT wrote:
Every set of knee pads I seem to buy dig into the back of my legs and drive
me crazy after an hour of use or they keep sliding down and I'm constantly
having to pull them up. Does anybody have a recommendation for some that
are comfortable to wear and don't tend to slide down?

I've had pretty good luck with the ones from HF- sort of a brownish gray
rubber with black straps. They do wanna creep down a little, but they
don't cut off my circulation or anything. I find wearing them with the
right pants makes a big difference on the sliding problem.

Remember when we didn't NEED knee pads to weed garden, scrub tub, or
crawl around in the attic? :^/

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 7:59*pm, "CraigT" wrote:
Every set of knee pads I seem to buy dig into the back of my legs and drive
me crazy after an hour of use or they keep sliding down and I'm constantly
having to pull them up. *Does anybody have a recommendation for some that
are comfortable to wear and don't tend to slide down?

Thanks-in-advance

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5443 (20100911) __________

http://www.eset.com

I know exactly what you mean and have had the same problem on several
occasions. For the most part I have given up on using knee pads
entirely and have gone instead with a temper foam pad normally used
for the gardener. If I am going to spend a lot of time down on my
knees I will also use a styraforam pad under the foram pad. The
temper foam can also be found in a three foam pad that is thicker and
has three densities of foam with the bottom one being very firm. It
may not be as convienent as the knee pads but I have found it much
easier for me to deal with than the pads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On 9/11/2010 8:59 PM, CraigT wrote:
Every set of knee pads I seem to buy dig into the back of my legs and
drive
me crazy after an hour of use or they keep sliding down and I'm
constantly
having to pull them up. Does anybody have a recommendation for some that
are comfortable to wear and don't tend to slide down?

I've had pretty good luck with the ones from HF- sort of a brownish gray
rubber with black straps. They do wanna creep down a little, but they
don't cut off my circulation or anything. I find wearing them with the
right pants makes a big difference on the sliding problem.

Remember when we didn't NEED knee pads to weed garden, scrub tub, or crawl
around in the attic? :^/

--
aem sends...

I cannot remember that far back. (G) ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 9:43*pm, "WW" wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

On 9/11/2010 8:59 PM, CraigT wrote:
Every set of knee pads I seem to buy dig into the back of my legs and
drive
me crazy after an hour of use or they keep sliding down and I'm
constantly
having to pull them up. *Does anybody have a recommendation for some that
are comfortable to wear and don't tend to slide down?

I've had pretty good luck with the ones from HF- sort of a brownish gray
rubber with black straps. They do wanna creep down a little, but they
don't cut off my circulation or anything. I find wearing them with the
right pants makes a big difference on the sliding problem.

Remember when we didn't NEED knee pads to weed garden, scrub tub, or crawl
around in the attic? *:^/

--
aem sends...

I cannot remember that far back. (G) *ww- Hide quoted text -

me either - It is sad
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2010 8:28 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/11/2010 8:59 PM, CraigT wrote:
Every set of knee pads I seem to buy dig into the back of my legs and
drive
me crazy after an hour of use or they keep sliding down and I'm
constantly
having to pull them up. Does anybody have a recommendation for some that
are comfortable to wear and don't tend to slide down?

I've had pretty good luck with the ones from HF- sort of a brownish gray
rubber with black straps. They do wanna creep down a little, but they
don't cut off my circulation or anything. I find wearing them with the
right pants makes a big difference on the sliding problem.

Remember when we didn't NEED knee pads to weed garden, scrub tub, or
crawl around in the attic? :^/

I remember when White House interns needed them. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-12, CraigT wrote:
Every set of knee pads I seem to buy dig into the back of my legs and drive
me crazy after an hour of use or they keep sliding down and I'm constantly
having to pull them up. Does anybody have a recommendation for some that
are comfortable to wear and don't tend to slide down?

I had a pair with hi/low (2) straps. Worked good, but the
polyethylene dome on one pad cracked. Still useable.

You might try a rollerblade/skateboard store and look at their
kneepads. They make those suckers to protect your knees "at speed",
not jes kneeling down in a static position. Many have full length
elastic back straps so you have to pull them up over your feet likeXCy
leggings.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2010 6:28 PM aemeijers spake thus:

On 9/11/2010 8:59 PM, CraigT wrote:

Every set of knee pads I seem to buy dig into the back of my legs
and drive me crazy after an hour of use or they keep sliding down
and I'm constantly having to pull them up. Does anybody have a
recommendation for some that are comfortable to wear and don't tend
to slide down?

I've had pretty good luck with the ones from HF- sort of a brownish
gray rubber with black straps. They do wanna creep down a little, but
they don't cut off my circulation or anything. I find wearing them
with the right pants makes a big difference on the sliding problem.

I have a pair also from HF that work well for me, but instead of rubber,
they're padded fabric with plastic caps on the outside. Two sets of
Velcro straps. Don't slip down too bad, and if you adjust them they're
very comfortable. Cheap, too: I think I paid $3-4 for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CraigT" wrote:

Every set of knee pads I seem to buy dig into the back of my legs and drive
me crazy after an hour of use or they keep sliding down and I'm constantly
having to pull them up. Does anybody have a recommendation for some that
are comfortable to wear and don't tend to slide down?

I use the Harbor freight cheapies and crisscross the straps. If
I'm wearing shorts and not moving around a lot I'll just toss them on
the ground and kneel in them

If I was going to be moving around and doing lots of kneeling, I think
I'd rig a pair to the bottom of my tool belt with a loose strap to
keep them centered. [or maybe sew some Velcro on a pair of 'kneeling
pants' and a $4 pair of kneepads.]

I've seen a gardening apron someplace that looked practical- pockets
for tools & built in kneepads. A quick Google didn't make the ones I
remember appear- but there are some homegrown ones that look
adaptable.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 11:54*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

I think these are the original of the HF knock to which David refers.

http://www.magidglove.com/Alta-Proli...Pad-50900.aspx

I started using this model knee pad ~25 years ago.
They're not perfect (they slip down) but they're the best I've found.

When I'm doing any physical work (gardening, demo, construction), I
wear them for hours without discomfort
Knee pads allow me to use the kneeling position without concern about
knee injury.

imo, doing physical work without knee pads is akin to working bare
footed.
Knee pads greatly increase comfort, safety, speed & efficiency.

It only takes a split second to inadvertently kneel on a sharp or hard
object (tiny pebble or screw) and suffer a permanent knee injury.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2010 10:59 AM DD_BobK spake thus:

[...]

Yep, that's them.

Heh; "knock-off" is the perfect way to describe the HF versions. Maybe
they should advertise them as Gucci, or Dolce & Gabana or some such.

But these really do save one's knees. Mine are getting more and more
sensitive and vulnerable as I age ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:28:36 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 9/11/2010 8:59 PM, CraigT wrote:
Every set of knee pads I seem to buy dig into the back of my legs and drive
me crazy after an hour of use or they keep sliding down and I'm constantly
having to pull them up. Does anybody have a recommendation for some that
are comfortable to wear and don't tend to slide down?

I've had pretty good luck with the ones from HF- sort of a brownish gray
rubber with black straps. They do wanna creep down a little, but they
don't cut off my circulation or anything. I find wearing them with the
right pants makes a big difference on the sliding problem.

I have a pair of hardish rubber pads that have a foam insert. They work OK,
but the straps across the back are almost worse than the abuse to the knees. I
only wear them when I'm going to do a *lot* of work on my knees, like
flooring. Anything less time on my knees and the straps will cause much more
pain.

Remember when we didn't NEED knee pads to weed garden, scrub tub, or
crawl around in the attic? :^/

I still don't wear them for any of that work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2010 3:45 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

I wonder- who makes the 'desert sand' knee pads and ankle guards they
use over in the sandbox?

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 2:26*pm, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

I think Alta makes the military knee (& elbow) pads.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

On 9/11/2010 8:28 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/11/2010 8:59 PM, CraigT wrote:
Every set of knee pads I seem to buy dig into the back of my legs
and drive
me crazy after an hour of use or they keep sliding down and I'm
constantly
having to pull them up. Does anybody have a recommendation for some
that are comfortable to wear and don't tend to slide down?

I've had pretty good luck with the ones from HF- sort of a brownish
gray rubber with black straps. They do wanna creep down a little, but
they don't cut off my circulation or anything. I find wearing them
with the right pants makes a big difference on the sliding problem.

Remember when we didn't NEED knee pads to weed garden, scrub tub, or
crawl around in the attic? :^/

I remember when White House interns needed them. 8-)

TDD

It's changed?

O/T: Knee Jerk Lew Hodgett[_4_] Woodworking 144 September 29th 09 03:08 PM
Knee Pads John UK diy 7 March 14th 09 06:23 PM
Weird Knee Pads Just Joshin Home Repair 4 April 16th 07 03:46 AM
knee wall [email protected] Home Repair 6 September 18th 05 11:50 PM
Knee Pads RichardC Woodworking 17 March 7th 05 03:56 PM