Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Motion Sensor Light for Front Entrance

On Sep 7, 10:50*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My dad asked me to replace the light next to his front door with a
motion sensing unit. He bought a stock fixture from HD with the sensor
built into the fixture. There is no way to aim the sensor, it just
points straight out from the front of the fixture.

The instructions say that the sensor will work better if the "heat
source" moves across the coverage area as opposed to straight towards
it. They sure got that right!

The approach to their front door is straight up a ~40' walkway from
the sidewalk. Even set at the highest sensitivity, which should allow
for a ~30' range, the light doesn't come on until the person is right
at the stoop, ready to lift their leg onto the first step.

However, if you walk across the yard the light will come on anywhere
in the 5' to 30'+ range. In fact, 1 out 3 cars going down the street
activate the light.

Unfortunately, "across the coverage area" is not how they (or anyone
else) would approach their front door.

What kind of fixture/sensor does he need so that it will pick up
people walking straight towards it?

BTW, it's an old brick house with a shallow box for the fixture cut
into the brick. A one-for-one swap is easy, but mounting a separate
sensor someplace else and running wires back to the fixture would be a
pain. I'd really prefer something built into the fixture if possible.

Thanks!

I would install a solar light and have it on at night.

the constant offs and ons and lack of sensitivity, and change of
sensitivity in freezing weather can drive everyone nuts including the
neighbors.

or rig up a sensor down near the start of the walk tripping light on
for a fixed ttime.

or just bite the bullet and add a pole light, mine has a dusk to dawn
sensor on pole with timer indoors.

its enabled on from 6am till midnite. rarely have any activity between
midnite and 6am. early morning provides a little light for neighbor
kids on way to school. at my other house now sold I had the pole light
and some accent lights for dark areas... front door was on side and no
pole light spot did everything. I was actually pretty proud of that
set up and it worked great with timer and light sensor that turned on
accent lights too.

looking back i shouldnt of sold that home

I tried the motion sensors a bunch of them and was never satisfied.

currently my pole light has a CFL when LED lamps improve i will go
with that