Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What kind of clear coat for acrylic paint

We asked an artist to paint a mural on the side of the house. The artist
used acrylic paint for the mural, about 4x6 feet. The background is water-
based house paint, acrylic or latex (Kelly Moore).

Now we want to put on a clear coat to protect it from dust. I have a
spray can of Deft lacquer and also some Deft liquid. Will that be
satisfactory, or do I need something else?

TIA

-- Joel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 12:45*am, default wrote:
We asked an artist to paint a mural on the side of the house. The artist
used acrylic paint for the mural, about 4x6 feet. The background is water-
based house paint, acrylic or latex (Kelly Moore).

Now we want to put on a clear coat to protect it from dust. I have a
spray can of Deft lacquer and also some Deft liquid. Will that be
satisfactory, or do I need something else?

TIA

-- Joel

Dont use laquer, its to hard a finish, the latex will flex and move
more than the laquer, its not UV stabil, it might yellow from UV, it
might not bond well, it may likely eat at the mural as it cures, which
is likely latex house paint, why not ask the artist or call the paint
co that made the paint he used, I dont know if anything will benefit
the mural but it has to be UV stabil and that means a UV marine type
varnish but clear coats never last as long as solid colors, maybe
nothing is best. Are murals usualy clearcoated? I think real laquer
will peel in sun in 3-6 years and house paint done right might be fine
for 20
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

correct. i had a mural on my house (8'x60') and the artist used spray
lacquer on parts of it to protect some of the bright colors in the
foreground. it was completely under cover, but turned yellow/brownish in
about 4-5 years.

you need to find a uv stabilized clearcoat. most of them are already yellow
or amber colored. i haven't ever seen a water clear one but they may exist.
you might try calling a major paint manufacturer, like krylon or rustoleum,
or stop in a real paint store, and ask.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 10, 12:45*am, default wrote:
We asked an artist to paint a mural on the side of the house. The artist
used acrylic paint for the mural, about 4x6 feet. The background is water-
based house paint, acrylic or latex (Kelly Moore).

Now we want to put on a clear coat to protect it from dust. I have a
spray can of Deft lacquer and also some Deft liquid. Will that be
satisfactory, or do I need something else?

TIA

-- Joel

Talk to a pro at an auto body shop. Clear coats on cars are tough, UV
resistant and stable, even allowing a bit of flex. If he tells you its
hopeless, take him at his word.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

default wrote:
We asked an artist to paint a mural on the side of the house. The artist
used acrylic paint for the mural, about 4x6 feet. The background is water-
based house paint, acrylic or latex (Kelly Moore).

Now we want to put on a clear coat to protect it from dust. I have a
spray can of Deft lacquer and also some Deft liquid. Will that be
satisfactory, or do I need something else?

TIA

-- Joel

What did the artist suggest?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 1:16*pm, Joe wrote:
On Sep 10, 12:45*am, default wrote:

We asked an artist to paint a mural on the side of the house. The artist
used acrylic paint for the mural, about 4x6 feet. The background is water-
based house paint, acrylic or latex (Kelly Moore).

Now we want to put on a clear coat to protect it from dust. I have a
spray can of Deft lacquer and also some Deft liquid. Will that be
satisfactory, or do I need something else?

TIA

-- Joel

Talk to a pro at an auto body shop. Clear coats on cars are tough, UV
resistant and stable, even allowing a bit of flex. If he tells you its
hopeless, take him at his word.

Joe

Clear coat for a car might be as flexible as any regular spray paint,
and you wouldnt paint a house with it, it just doesnt flex exough. he
used house paint, you dont clearcoat a house, the clear wont last as
long as the paint. No clearcoat lasts as long as a paint, the products
are missing that makes paint last.
Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...nt-498028-.htm
la954u wrote:
There is a clear coat that you can use called (mural paint) its sold online at www.topsecretcoatings.com goes under the name Mural-Mate #LG-740 its UV resistant
default wrote:

We asked an artist to paint a mural on the side of the house. The artist

used acrylic paint for the mural, about 4x6 feet. The background is
water-
based house paint, acrylic or latex (Kelly Moore).

Now we want to put on a clear coat to protect it from dust. I have a
spray can of Deft lacquer and also some Deft liquid. Will that be
satisfactory, or do I need something else?

TIA

-- Joel

Senior Member

Joel:

If it wuz me, I'd probably use:

Sher-Clear 1K - Acrylic Clear Coat - Protective & Marine

or competitor's equivalent.

Yours is a small mural, so ask if it comes in quarts, and put on the whole quart in multiple coats. Or, see if anyone makes an acrylic clear coat in quarts.

PS #1: That web page says: "1K - Acrylic"

"1K" is just paint speak for "one component" which means it air dries just like house paint. "2K" would mean "two component" like epoxy where you have to mix two parts of the coating together before applying it.

PS #2: That web page says: "Waterbased Fade-A-Way Dye Additive available"

I suspect what they mean by that is that they'll put a "leuco" dye in the stuff if you ask for it. Leuco dyes are a family of dyes whose molecular structure changes depending on their environment. Leuco dyes were the flavour of the month in ceiling paints a few years ago because they'd go on light pink or light blue, and dry white. That was just because as the paint dried, the dye was exposed to fewer polar water molecules and the leuco dye inside the paint would respond to that change by changing it's structure so that it no longer absorbed blue or red light, respectively. Eventually, leuco dyes tend to become stable in the configuration that doesn't absorb any frequencies of light, so they remain colourless so as not to affect the colour of the ceiling paint or wall paint.

(Phenolphthalein dyed paper, which we all used in high school to tell if a liquid was acidic or basic are probably about the most familiar leuco dyes to most people.)

Last edited by nestork : September 24th 12 at 05:33 AM

Clear Acrylic Glazing Arthur 51 UK diy 6 August 5th 08 08:33 AM
What kind of brush for acrylic paint? Dan_Musicant Home Repair 3 July 21st 07 01:39 AM
What kind of brush for acrylic paint? Dan_Musicant Home Repair 1 July 17th 07 12:12 AM
Water-based clear acrylic RayV Woodworking 2 February 5th 07 06:30 PM
Clear Coat [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 26th 06 09:51 PM