Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Last lightbulb factory closes - sniff

"[WINCHESTER, VA.] The last major GE factory making ordinary incandescent
light bulbs in the United States is closing this month, marking a small, sad
exit for a product and company that can trace their roots to Thomas Alva
Edison's innovations in the 1870s."

I have no idea how all my Lava Lamps will continue to work if I can't get
the right kind of bulbs!

In 2007, a Democratic Congress mandated that incandescent bulbs must not be
produced beyond 2014.

But find a need and fill it, I say.

One could encase a CFL is a glass container shaped like a classic bulb,
complete with a heating element and probably get close to replicating the
bulbs we've grown to love.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2010 2:39 PM HeyBub spake thus:

"[WINCHESTER, VA.] The last major GE factory making ordinary incandescent
light bulbs in the United States is closing this month, marking a small, sad
exit for a product and company that can trace their roots to Thomas Alva
Edison's innovations in the 1870s."

I have no idea how all my Lava Lamps will continue to work if I can't get
the right kind of bulbs!

So who said that GE was the onlh mfgr. of regliar old light bulbs?

Hell, most of the ones I see nowadays come from China. Can get them at
the dollar store for, like 2-4 for a buck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , HeyBub wrote:
"[WINCHESTER, VA.] The last major GE factory making ordinary incandescent
light bulbs in the United States is closing this month, marking a small, sad
exit for a product and company that can trace their roots to Thomas Alva
Edison's innovations in the 1870s."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...le/2010/09/07/
AR2010090706933.html

I have no idea how all my Lava Lamps will continue to work if I can't get
the right kind of bulbs!

In 2007, a Democratic Congress mandated that incandescent bulbs must not be
produced beyond 2014.

But find a need and fill it, I say.

One could encase a CFL is a glass container shaped like a classic bulb,
complete with a heating element and probably get close to replicating the
bulbs we've grown to love.

The upcoming incandescent ban scheduled to take effect in stages from
January 2012 to January 2014 has a lot of exemptions.

http://members.misty.com/don/incban.html

Some lava lamps take incandescent bulbs of lower wattage and accordingly
of lower light output than the range affected by the ban. Incandescents
of 25 watts or less are generally not affected by the ban.

Some lava lamps take reflector bulbs, which are not affected by the ban.

If you need a "regular light bulb shape" incandescent of 40 to 100
watts, you can get rough service ones, which are not affected by the ban.
There are also Philips "Halogena Energy Saver" bulbs, which have energy
efficiency high enough to get around the ban.

Also not affected by the ban are tubular bulbs, globular vanity ones,
ones with bases other than medium screw, flame shape ones, ones designed
for voltage less than 110 or more than 130 volts, ones producing more than
2600 lumens, and most colored ones.
--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In , David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 9/8/2010 2:39 PM HeyBub spake thus:

"[WINCHESTER, VA.] The last major GE factory making ordinary incandescent
light bulbs in the United States is closing this month, marking a small, sad
exit for a product and company that can trace their roots to Thomas Alva
Edison's innovations in the 1870s."

I have no idea how all my Lava Lamps will continue to work if I can't get
the right kind of bulbs!

So who said that GE was the onlh mfgr. of regliar old light bulbs?

Hell, most of the ones I see nowadays come from China. Can get them at
the dollar store for, like 2-4 for a buck.

I would get Sylvania ones from Lowes for a similarly low price. A 75
watt "standard" Sylvania (or GE or Philips) lightbulb produces slightly
more light than a 100 watt dollar store stool specimen.
--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"[WINCHESTER, VA.] The last major GE factory making ordinary incandescent
light bulbs in the United States is closing this month, marking a small,
sad exit for a product and company that can trace their roots to Thomas
Alva Edison's innovations in the 1870s."

I have no idea how all my Lava Lamps will continue to work if I can't get
the right kind of bulbs!

In 2007, a Democratic Congress mandated that incandescent bulbs must not
be produced beyond 2014.

But find a need and fill it, I say.

One could encase a CFL is a glass container shaped like a classic bulb,
complete with a heating element and probably get close to replicating the
bulbs we've grown to love.
No more light bulbs for refrigerator or ovens? Maybe there will be a LED
light replacement. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

"[WINCHESTER, VA.] The last major GE factory making ordinary
incandescent light bulbs in the United States is closing this month,
marking a small, sad exit for a product and company that can trace
their roots to Thomas Alva Edison's innovations in the 1870s."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn.../09/07/AR20100
90706933.html

I have no idea how all my Lava Lamps will continue to work if I can't
get the right kind of bulbs!

A hit of LSD will do it. At least for a few hours, anyway. You'll even see
colors you didn't know your Lava Lamp could make.

In 2007, a Democratic Congress mandated that incandescent bulbs must
not be produced beyond 2014.

And Dubya signed it into law! What a guy.

But find a need and fill it, I say.

One could encase a CFL is a glass container shaped like a classic
bulb, complete with a heating element and probably get close to
replicating the bulbs we've grown to love.

They actually do have CFLs encased in a plastic "bulb" that looks almost
exactly like a real incandescent, but costs ten times as much.
Ah, government-mandated "progress".

I've stocked-up on so many incandescents I'm probably OK until the next
millennium. Or until I'm dead, whichever comes first.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Klipstein wrote:
In article , WW wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

"[WINCHESTER, VA.] The last major GE factory making ordinary incandescent
light bulbs in the United States is closing this month, marking a small,
sad exit for a product and company that can trace their roots to Thomas
Alva Edison's innovations in the 1870s."

I have no idea how all my Lava Lamps will continue to work if I can't get
the right kind of bulbs!

In 2007, a Democratic Congress mandated that incandescent bulbs must not
be produced beyond 2014.

But find a need and fill it, I say.

One could encase a CFL is a glass container shaped like a classic bulb,
complete with a heating element and probably get close to replicating the
bulbs we've grown to love.
No more light bulbs for refrigerator or ovens? Maybe there will be a LED
light replacement. ww

Appliance (including "home oven") and tubular bulbs are among the
exemptions from the upcoming ban.

Both of those even come in 40 watts.

How about the left hand threaded Edison base bulbs like the ones they
used to use on streetcars to discourage theft by passengers? G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

One could encase a CFL is a glass container shaped like a classic bulb,
complete with a heating element and probably get close to replicating the
bulbs we've grown to love.

When we replaced almost all our incandescent bulbs with CFLs some years ago,
our next electric bill dropped by a huge percentage. At that time CFLs were
still a little pricey, but that's come down a lot. Our local hardware store
collects dead CFLs (along with batteries) so we're not dumping the mercury
into a landfill. All things considered I won't shed any tears over not
having any more incandescent bulbs any more than I did over the end of
rotary dial phones. Of course CFLs are already on the way out, LEDs will
replace them, and I can't wait to see the price on LED lighting drop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If that's the case, maybe I'll just rewire all the lights for 240V.

Oh, come on!

The CFLs work "pretty gud!" Over all they can save quite a bit of change.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2010 8:35 PM, DGDevin wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

One could encase a CFL is a glass container shaped like a classic
bulb, complete with a heating element and probably get close to
replicating the bulbs we've grown to love.

When we replaced almost all our incandescent bulbs with CFLs some years
ago, our next electric bill dropped by a huge percentage. At that time
CFLs were still a little pricey, but that's come down a lot. Our local
hardware store collects dead CFLs (along with batteries) so we're not
dumping the mercury into a landfill. All things considered I won't shed
any tears over not having any more incandescent bulbs any more than I
did over the end of rotary dial phones. Of course CFLs are already on
the way out, LEDs will replace them, and I can't wait to see the price
on LED lighting drop.

I came up with an even cheaper solution- I mostly live in the dark. Most
of the lights I actually use are CFLs, but many of the kitchen/bathroom
lights have those Christmas tree bulb bases on them, and I haven't found
a decent price on mini-cfls that would fit and not look stupid. Plus,
the fixture over the dining table is on a dimmer. Does anyone make
dimmer-friendly CFLs with the tiny bases? I'll switch the seldom-used
conventional bulbs over to CFL as they burn out, other than in the
garage. Opener light only stays on for five minutes at a time, and while
I seldom turn on the ceiling lights, I need them to work in winter.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
net...

If that's the case, maybe I'll just rewire all the lights for 240V.

Oh, come on!

The CFLs work "pretty gud!" Over all they can save quite a bit of
change.

When the CFL first became available, I tried one and after 30 minutes
replaced it with a regular bulb again.. Over the years, they've improved
them considerably and I now use CFL in most places in the house. The color
is far superior to what it used to be with that sickly green cast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...10/09/07/AR201...

I have no idea how all my Lava Lamps will continue to work if I can't get
the right kind of bulbs!

In 2007, a Democratic Congress mandated that incandescent bulbs must not be
produced beyond 2014.

But find a need and fill it, I say.

One could encase a CFL is a glass container shaped like a classic bulb,
complete with a heating element and probably get close to replicating the
bulbs we've grown to love.

Europe officially stopped all incan. sales on 9/1.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The larger issue isnt bulbs, its the moving of manufacturing near
everything to foreign countries.

this loss of manufacturing is why our economic dump is still with us,
and were about to tank again.....

I dont know what the solution is, but the problem is effecting every
one of us, and about to get far worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In , jeff_wisnia wrote:
Don Klipstein wrote:
In article , WW wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

Those are also exempt from the upcoming ban.

http://members.misty.com/don/incban.html
--
- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Over the years, they've improved
them considerably and I now use CFL in most places in the house. The color
is far superior to what it used to be with that sickly green cast.

I agree - the 2700 degree CFLs (Sylvania mostly) are very good color temps for
interior use. They do OK for warmup time, but it still takes 30 seconds to come
to full brightness.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Neville" wrote in message
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Over the years, they've improved
them considerably

Huh? Incandescents always sucked. I was SO happy to be rid of them years
ago. CFLs cost less to operate, they don't give off ridiculous heat (those
of us without AC LOVE that), and they last 5 years, so they are MUCH cheaper
than the old, crappy bulbs which lasted a month or two. What are you all
bitching about?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2010 9:38 PM, h wrote:
"Robert wrote in message
"Ed wrote:

Over the years, they've improved
them considerably

Huh? Incandescents always sucked. I was SO happy to be rid of them years
ago. CFLs cost less to operate, they don't give off ridiculous heat (those
of us without AC LOVE that), and they last 5 years, so they are MUCH cheaper
than the old, crappy bulbs which lasted a month or two. What are you all
bitching about?

Shrug. If your 'old crappy bulbs' only last a month or two, you have
wiring problems, or are cycling them constantly, or burn them 24/7, or
all of the above. I routinely get anywhere from six months to several
years out of an incandescent, depending on application and duty cycle. I
use CFLs where I can, and where they make sense. But for lights that are
on five minutes a day and/or in cold locations, they don't make sense.
And I still haven't seen ones around here in the stores with candelabra
base, that play nice with dimmers.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On 9/10/2010 9:38 PM, h wrote:
"Robert wrote in message
"Ed wrote:

Shrug. If your 'old crappy bulbs' only last a month or two, you have
wiring problems, or are cycling them constantly, or burn them 24/7, or all
of the above.

I have NO bulbs that aren't on 16x7, except in the 5 rooms I in which I only
need to use artificial light once or twice a year. The kitchen/great room
and office bulbs are on constantly. Literally, there are no other rooms in
the house which I need to light, except for the hallway, and that's for less
than a minute a day. There's a CFL in that one, too. All the other rooms get
enough daylight, or maybe I'm just a mole. Still, incandescents were WAAAY
expensive and short-lived versus even the original CFLs. I'm thrilled they
will be gone for good!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Over the years, they've improved
them considerably

Huh? Incandescents always sucked. I was SO happy to be rid of them years
ago. CFLs cost less to operate, they don't give off ridiculous heat (those
of us without AC LOVE that), and they last 5 years, so they are MUCH
cheaper than the old, crappy bulbs which lasted a month or two. What are
you all bitching about?

Maybe they do suck, but the original CFLs sucked even more. The green cast
light was horrid to be in. I'd pay a premium for anything over the original
CFL. They may be good for lighting you vomit collection though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On 9/10/2010 9:38 PM, h wrote:
"Robert wrote in message
"Ed wrote:

[...]

I have had the same experience with CFL bulbs. They have their place but
they are not suited for many uses like decorative lighting or cold
temperatures or short on cycles. I am going to change to florescent tubes
wherever possible. I am tired of paying for expensive CFL bulbs that last
for only a couple of months because they are not suited for the use that I
must put them to. For the number of CFL's that I have had to replace I could
have bought a life time supply of regular incandescent bulbs and saved money
in the process.

--

Ron P

Too soon old
Too late smart

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 7:30*pm, jeff_wisnia wrote:

How about the left hand threaded Edison base bulbs like the ones they
used to use on streetcars to discourage theft by passengers? G

Jeff

Jeff, are you that old? I remember streetcars and buses...never knew
that!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 7:05*am, " wrote:
The larger issue isnt bulbs, its the moving of manufacturing near
everything to foreign countries.

this loss of manufacturing is why our economic dump is still with us,
and were about to tank again.....

I dont know what the solution is, but the problem is effecting every
one of us, and about to get far worse.

Finally, someone caught-on to the OPs thoughts! And...the last
sentence could be, " I don't know what the solution is, but the
problem is effecting everyone of US, and about to get far worse."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:07:19 -0600, Robert Neville wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Over the years, they've improved
them considerably and I now use CFL in most places in the house. The
color is far superior to what it used to be with that sickly green cast.

I agree - the 2700 degree CFLs (Sylvania mostly) are very good color
temps for interior use. They do OK for warmup time, but it still takes
30 seconds to come to full brightness.

Is that similar light to incandescent bulbs?
It'd rather have WHITE light than that yellow.

--
105 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

In cocktail lounge: "Ladies are requested not to have children in the
bar."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 11:14:29 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:

[snip]

I don't care what anyone else says, I still like to use incandescent
bulbs for certain locations.

Places where it gets too cold or hot for CFLs to work right.

Some switches (like dimmers and remotes) depend on current through the
bulb, and don't work right with CFLs.

[snip]

Same with the fixture near my chair in the living room; when I turn that
on, I want it to come on fully right away.

I use a fluorscent fixture (4-foot T8, not CFL) behind my chair. Good
white light (you can get "yellow" tubes too) and it doesn't take too long
to light.

BTW, the only CFLs I've seen that take longer than a second to come on
are a couple of outdoor floodlights.

The other location is in my welding rod storage oven, in which a 60 watt
incandescent bulb keeps it at the proper temperature for storing certain
rods.

Another use for incandescents. My grandmother used them in her greenhouse
for that reason (heat).

[snip]

--
105 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

In cocktail lounge: "Ladies are requested not to have children in the
bar."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:

I agree - the 2700 degree CFLs (Sylvania mostly) are very good color
temps for interior use. They do OK for warmup time, but it still takes
30 seconds to come to full brightness.

Is that similar light to incandescent bulbs?
It'd rather have WHITE light than that yellow.

Yes, it is close to soft white incandescent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m...

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Over the years, they've improved
them considerably and I now use CFL in most places in the house. The
color is far superior to what it used to be with that sickly green cast.

I agree - the 2700 degree CFLs (Sylvania mostly) are very good color
temps for interior use. They do OK for warmup time, but it still takes
30 seconds to come to full brightness.

Is that similar light to incandescent bulbs?
It'd rather have WHITE light than that yellow.

You'll like the 2700. It is whiter than the incandescent. After years on
avoiding sickly green CFL, we went to a Friendly's restaurant and it looked
very bright in there. They replaced all the bulbs with the newer CFLs. I
went and bought some a few days later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Over the years, they've improved
them considerably and I now use CFL in most places in the house. The
color is far superior to what it used to be with that sickly green cast.

I agree - the 2700 degree CFLs (Sylvania mostly) are very good color
temps for interior use. They do OK for warmup time, but it still takes
30 seconds to come to full brightness.

Is that similar light to incandescent bulbs?
It'd rather have WHITE light than that yellow.

2700K CFLs mostly approximate incandescents of one sort or another,
though some 2700K CFLs (mostly older types and higher wattages) are a bit
pinkish in comparison to incandescents that they "best approximate".

For a whiter light, which I prefer, I like 3500K CFLs. 3500K is a
"whiter warm white", similar to higher color temp. halogen, projector,
and photoflood incandescents.

Both Lowes and Home Depot have a wide enough range of wattages of 3500K
spiral CFLs.

Please keep in mind that the whiter 3500K may have a bit of "dreary gray
effect" in dimmer home lighting situations such as dimmish basement and
hallway lighting.

For the next step to "truly white", that is 4100 K. My favorite source
of those is many hardware stores carrying the "Westpointe" line by the
"True Value" hardware store supplier.
Even though the color is like that of "average direct sunlight", it
easily gets "dreary grayish" unless illumination level is "nice-and-bright"
like that of offices, classrooms and more-brightly-illuminated retail
stores.

Even higher color temperature such as 5500K (Home Depot) or 6500K (Lowes
or Target) is good in dimmer situations when "dreary gray" but "adequate
but dimmish" illumination is OK, such as many places outdoors at night, or
"nightlighting" of hallways, stairways and basements. Such higher-K
icy-cold-slightly-bluish white has a spectrum favorable to making use of
"night vision".
--
- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Jon Danniken wrote:
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Is that similar light to incandescent bulbs?
It'd rather have WHITE light than that yellow.

I don't care what anyone else says, I still like to use incandescent bulbs
for certain locations. Like in the bathroom, the kitchen, or the laundry
room, all locations where the light is often used only for a short period,
and when I want it on, I want it on now. I also want the color of the
light.

Same with the fixture near my chair in the living room; when I turn that on,
I want it to come on fully right away.

The other location is in my welding rod storage oven, in which a 60 watt
incandescent bulb keeps it at the proper temperature for storing certain
rods.

If people want to use CFL bulbs, and I do in some locations, that is great,
but those of us who still have a use for incandescent bulbs should be able
to buy them whenever we feel we have the need. I would rather not have to
stockpile 50 years' worth of bulbs, but if it comes down to it, I'll have to
do just that. *******s.

The upcoming "incandescent ban" has a set of loopholes that the
Mississippi River can be rerouted through, "in my words".

http://members.misty.com/don/incban.html

Merely most and not all of the exemptions:

* Reflectorized bulbs such as R, BR, K-reflectorized and PAR types

* Ones producing over 2600 lumens (which better 150W ones do)

* Ones producing less than 310 lumens (nearly all 120V incandescents
25 watts or less and most low voltage ones 15 watts or less, as well
as all 15 watts or less that fail to be exempted on basis of meeting/
exceeding an efficiency efficiency standard)

* Ones of tubular or vanity-globe/decorative-globe or flame shape

* Ones with base other than right-hand E26/E27 medium screw

(Exempts nearly all automotive and most other miniature types as
well as most photographic/projection incandescents, including most
of the minority of such that fails to be exempted on basis of
bulb style, design voltage, or design light output outside the
range of 310-2600 lumens)

* Ones with design voltage outside the range of 110-130 volts

(That exemption includes nearly all automotive incandescents,
incandescent flashlight bulbs, etc. even in the unlikely event no
other exemptions apply)

* Ones that meet/exceed an energy efficiency standard that a few
incandescents now meet, notably including Philips "Halogena Energy
Saver" of "roughly regular lightbulb shape and size"

* "Rough Service" / "Vibration Service" / "Shatter Resistant"

* 3-way

* Traffic Signal

* Mine, Train, Marine

* "S-shape" theater marquee units

* Bug non-atracting lamps

* Most colored ones, but not "daylight" nor "enrich"/"reveal"/"neodymium"
unless exempted by any of the many other means of exemption

--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 22:38:27 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 9/10/2010 9:38 PM, h wrote:
"Robert wrote in message
"Ed wrote:

[...]

This house is 2-1/2 years old. The only bulb, of 50, that has been changed
are is the ceiling fan on the back porch, where heat and vibration team up. I
have no use for CFLs and will never install them, at least until I have no
choice. I will have ~300-400 by the time the ban goes into effect. Since
I've used one in two years, I should be set for a while.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 22:50:25 -0400, "h" wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
m...
On 9/10/2010 9:38 PM, h wrote:
"Robert wrote in message
"Ed wrote:

Shrug. If your 'old crappy bulbs' only last a month or two, you have
wiring problems, or are cycling them constantly, or burn them 24/7, or all
of the above.

I have NO bulbs that aren't on 16x7,

Then you're wasting far more electricity than I am, even with your "green"
bulbs.

except in the 5 rooms I in which I only
need to use artificial light once or twice a year. The kitchen/great room
and office bulbs are on constantly. Literally, there are no other rooms in
the house which I need to light, except for the hallway, and that's for less
than a minute a day. There's a CFL in that one, too. All the other rooms get
enough daylight, or maybe I'm just a mole. Still, incandescents were WAAAY
expensive and short-lived versus even the original CFLs. I'm thrilled they
will be gone for good!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 09:08:47 -0400, "Worn Out Retread"
wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
m...
On 9/10/2010 9:38 PM, h wrote:
"Robert wrote in message
"Ed wrote:

[...]

Yep, other than the "cold temperature" part, that's all I have. All of my
bulbs are visible (chandeliers, sconces, ceiling fans), thus "decorative".
CFLs are ugly. None, except the outside lights burn more than an hour or so a
day (kitchen, bathroom) and most are five to ten minutes at a crack. CFLs
make *no* sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
This house is 2-1/2 years old. The only bulb, of 50, that has been
changed
are is the ceiling fan on the back porch, where heat and vibration team
up. I
have no use for CFLs and will never install them, at least until I have no
choice. I will have ~300-400 by the time the ban goes into effect. Since
I've used one in two years, I should be set for a while.

I'd have agreed with you a few years ago. Now the CFLs can be as good or
better than the incans and I'm saving $$$ to boot. I actually prefer the
whiter light from the CFL bulbs we now have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:

On Sep 8, 7:30 pm, jeff_wisnia wrote:

How about the left hand threaded Edison base bulbs like the ones they
used to use on streetcars to discourage theft by passengers? G

Jeff

Jeff, are you that old? I remember streetcars and buses...never knew
that!

Yes, I am that old, but DAMHIKT. G

AFAIK they are still available and sometimes used on those strings of
light bulbs used on construction sites, for the same anti theft reason.

Here's one:

http://www.elightbulbs.com/Sylvania-...A21-Light-Bulb

Though I've read that Sylvania is closing its its US lamp bulb
manufacturing plants, so I don't know if those bulbs will be available
in the future. But Phillips shows some LHT bulbs too.

http://www.elightbulbs.com/Philips-3...A19-Light-Bulb

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2010 4:42 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:

On Sep 8, 7:30 pm, jeff_wisnia wrote:

How about the left hand threaded Edison base bulbs like the ones they
used to use on streetcars to discourage theft by passengers? G

Jeff

Jeff, are you that old? I remember streetcars and buses...never knew
that!

Yes, I am that old, but DAMHIKT. G

AFAIK they are still available and sometimes used on those strings of
light bulbs used on construction sites, for the same anti theft reason.

Here's one:

http://www.elightbulbs.com/Sylvania-...A21-Light-Bulb

Though I've read that Sylvania is closing its its US lamp bulb
manufacturing plants, so I don't know if those bulbs will be available
in the future. But Phillips shows some LHT bulbs too.

http://www.elightbulbs.com/Philips-3...A19-Light-Bulb

Jeff

Many, many years ago, I worked for an electrical supply company and
shipped out many a left handed light string sockets and bulbs to
construction companies. The bulbs were a lot of fun to slip into
someone's supply of light bulbs. It's a great gag to pull on friends
and family. The sheer frustration they suffer when trying to replace
a burned out bulb is quite entertaining. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but it's one of those gags you might have to wait a long time to
see or hear about, unless you volunteer to run out and get them a bulb
when one burns out and hand it to them to replace.

Am I the only guy who routinely rubs the base of a bulb I'm about to
screw or bayonet into a socket on both sides of my nose to coat it with
nasal sebum so it wont "freeze" into the socket?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_sebum

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:

[...]

"Dear, can you do something about this squeaking drawer?" "Sure Baby!"
"Oh my God! What are you doing!"..........

Hey homes, jew must have a big nose, man.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Because air is free!

Yes, I grew up in a mostly Jewish neighborhood. I've heard a lot of
Jew jokes, and most of them told by the Jewish boys I played with.
They told Christian jokes, too.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus