Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Last lightbulb factory closes - sniff

On 9/14/2010 6:33 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Because air is free!

Yes, I grew up in a mostly Jewish neighborhood. I've heard a lot of
Jew jokes, and most of them told by the Jewish boys I played with.
They told Christian jokes, too.

I wasn't referring to Jews, perhaps my little Mexican homey should
have said "jou have a beeg nose" but the double meaning of the
joke wouldn't have worked.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 4:59*pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In ,

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sep 10, 9:38*pm, "h" wrote:
"Robert Neville" wrote in message

. ..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Over the years, they've improved
them considerably

Huh? Incandescents always sucked. I was SO happy to be rid of them years
ago. CFLs cost less to operate, they don't give off ridiculous heat (those
of us without AC LOVE that), and they last 5 years, so they are MUCH cheaper
than the old, crappy bulbs which lasted a month or two. What are you all
bitching about?

I dropped a CFL a couple of weeks ago. *Cleanup would have
been much easier had it been an incandescent.

* EPA says all one has to do is sweep it up and dump it into a zip-seal
plastic bag and then dump it in the trash. *Maybe go over the breakage
site with tape to get up smaller pieces, and put the tape in the same
sealed bag. *If local laws say it can't go in the trash, then contact your
local sanitation department orwww.lamprecycle.org.

Tape. I hadn't thought of that. I was stressing over how to get the
last miniscule pieces without vacuuming.

By Jove, I think this Internet thing might actually catch on.

Thanks,

Cindy
Posted to alt.home.repair

By the time you finish with your wisk and dust pan, there's not enough
glass, or glass and mercury to be concerned with.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Cindy Hamilton"
wrote in message

EPA says all one has to do is sweep it up and dump it into a
zip-seal
plastic bag and then dump it in the trash. Maybe go over the
breakage
site with tape to get up smaller pieces, and put the tape in the
same
sealed bag. If local laws say it can't go in the trash, then contact
your
local sanitation department or www.lamprecycle.org.

Tape. I hadn't thought of that. I was stressing over how to get the
last miniscule pieces without vacuuming.

By Jove, I think this Internet thing might actually catch on.

Thanks,

Cindy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 7:23*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
By the time you finish with your wisk and dust pan, there's not enough
glass, or glass and mercury to be concerned with.

Perhaps I'm the world's worst whisker. There were still
plenty of really tiny pieces of glass. I dropped the bulb
on the subfloor where we're about to put down cork flooring,
and I wanted to get up as much as possible.

I'm not really worried about the mercury; I probably get
more in me when I eat fish.

DH asked if the bulb was hot (it wasn't); if it had
been hot, the mercury would likely have mostly been
released into the air rather than stuck to the glass.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 9/13/2010 9:45 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 9/13/2010 4:42 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

Bob Villa wrote:

On Sep 8, 7:30 pm, jeff_wisnia wrote:

How about the left hand threaded Edison base bulbs like the ones they
used to use on streetcars to discourage theft by passengers? G

Jeff

Jeff, are you that old? I remember streetcars and buses...never knew
that!

Yes, I am that old, but DAMHIKT. G

AFAIK they are still available and sometimes used on those strings of
light bulbs used on construction sites, for the same anti theft reason.

Here's one:

http://www.elightbulbs.com/Sylvania-...A21-Light-Bulb

Though I've read that Sylvania is closing its its US lamp bulb
manufacturing plants, so I don't know if those bulbs will be available
in the future. But Phillips shows some LHT bulbs too.

http://www.elightbulbs.com/Philips-3...A19-Light-Bulb

Jeff

Many, many years ago, I worked for an electrical supply company and
shipped out many a left handed light string sockets and bulbs to
construction companies. The bulbs were a lot of fun to slip into
someone's supply of light bulbs. It's a great gag to pull on friends
and family. The sheer frustration they suffer when trying to replace
a burned out bulb is quite entertaining. 8-)

TDD

Yeah, but it's one of those gags you might have to wait a long time to
see or hear about, unless you volunteer to run out and get them a bulb
when one burns out and hand it to them to replace.

Am I the only guy who routinely rubs the base of a bulb I'm about to
screw or bayonet into a socket on both sides of my nose to coat it with
nasal sebum so it wont "freeze" into the socket?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_sebum

Jeff

"Dear, can you do something about this squeaking drawer?" "Sure Baby!"
"Oh my God! What are you doing!"..........

Hey homes, jew must have a big nose, man.

TDD

I'll take that as a reference to the last word of this thread's
subject. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia