Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water lingering in washing machine

I have a 13 year old GE washer. When I jiggle the agitator around a
bit I hear water sloshing around below. No water is seen in the
basket, it seems like not all the water is being pumped out of the
tub. Not a huge deal seemingly, but is this something to address? It
gets used at least every 2 days, so the water will not usually have
time to get stagnant.

Thanks for any info.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
I have a 13 year old GE washer. When I jiggle the agitator around a
bit I hear water sloshing around below. No water is seen in the
basket, it seems like not all the water is being pumped out of the
tub. Not a huge deal seemingly, but is this something to address? It
gets used at least every 2 days, so the water will not usually have
time to get stagnant.

Thanks for any info.

You have checked the filter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clot wrote the following:
Mike wrote:

I have a 13 year old GE washer. When I jiggle the agitator around a
bit I hear water sloshing around below. No water is seen in the
basket, it seems like not all the water is being pumped out of the
tub. Not a huge deal seemingly, but is this something to address? It
gets used at least every 2 days, so the water will not usually have
time to get stagnant.

Thanks for any info.

You have checked the filter?

Why would the inlet filter (actually a screen to catch sediment before
it enters the machine) cause water to remain in the machine?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
I have a 13 year old GE washer. When I jiggle the agitator around a
bit I hear water sloshing around below. No water is seen in the
basket, it seems like not all the water is being pumped out of the
tub. Not a huge deal seemingly, but is this something to address? It
gets used at least every 2 days, so the water will not usually have
time to get stagnant.

Thanks for any info.

Mike

is it a top or side load? if side, it's supposed to according to maytag.
mine does the same and it's a side load.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 12:31*pm, Mike wrote:
I have a 13 year old GE washer. *When I jiggle the agitator around a
bit I hear water sloshing around below. *No water is seen in the
basket, it seems like not all the water is being pumped out of the
tub. *Not a huge deal seemingly, but is this something to address? *It
gets used at least every 2 days, so the water will not usually have
time to get stagnant.

Thanks for any info.

Mike

What's the make and model?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 16:07:16 -0400, willshak wrote:

Clot wrote the following:
Mike wrote:

I have a 13 year old GE washer. When I jiggle the agitator around a
bit I hear water sloshing around below. No water is seen in the
basket, it seems like not all the water is being pumped out of the
tub. Not a huge deal seemingly, but is this something to address? It
gets used at least every 2 days, so the water will not usually have
time to get stagnant.

Thanks for any info.

You have checked the filter?

Why would the inlet filter (actually a screen to catch sediment before
it enters the machine) cause water to remain in the machine?

Some have a pump filter or at least a trap before the pump to catch
heavy items. This is sometimes accessible from the front but usually not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In news Hugh Jassolle typed:

Clot wrote the following:
Mike wrote:

I have a 13 year old GE washer. When I jiggle the
agitator around a bit I hear water sloshing around
below. No water is seen in the basket, it seems like
not all the water is being pumped out of the tub. Not a
huge deal seemingly, but is this something to address?
It gets used at least every 2 days, so the water will
not usually have time to get stagnant.

Thanks for any info.

You have checked the filter?

Why would the inlet filter (actually a screen to catch
sediment before it enters the machine) cause water to
remain in the machine?

Some have a pump filter or at least a trap before the pump
to catch heavy items. This is sometimes accessible from the
front but usually not.

It's normal on all machines; it guarantees a "trap" is provided for the
dishwasher. If the water evaporates dry you'll often get a sewer odor. Want
to prove it? Set the draini so it's not properly looped and watch/smell as
the water gets almost completely gone. I haven't yet seen one that didn't
have water left in it between washes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In news typed:

Clot wrote the following:
Mike wrote:

[...]

Didn't mean a drain trap. But rather a trap before the pump to allow
heavy items that make it past the basket from entering the pump. Theory is
that say small stones etc... flow from the basket in the water. Before
the water enters the pump gravity pulls them down into the trap. Over
years this can accumulate and cause flow problems to the pump. It's
usually not user serviceable unless there is a provision made to access
it without disconnecting the washer and working on it from the rear or
underneath.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Clot wrote the following:
Mike wrote:

[...]

I thought OP was talking about CLOTHES washing machines, not dishwashers?

--
aem sends, puzzled....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Clot wrote the following:
Mike wrote:

[...]

Yep but the person I replied to said a trap was needed on "all machines"
I was explaining I didn't mean a drain trap but rather a debris trap to
protect the pump impeller.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Innews Hugh Jassolle typed:

Clot wrote the following:
Mike wrote:

[...]

have water left in it between washes.- Hide quoted text -

Not. The plumbing for a clothes washer includes a trap. But it is
normal for somw water to remain behind in the drum below the bottom of
the basket. And is it a problem for people that very infrequently use
their clothes washers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-03, skeeter wrote:

is it a top or side load? if side, it's supposed to according to maytag.
mine does the same and it's a side load.

Yep. We have Maytag "front loader" washers in our laundry room and
they all retain large amounts of water between loads. Turn the drums
and you can hear it sloshing around. OTOH, I had a top-of-the-line GE
washer/dryer set (top loader washer) for years and don't ever recall any
remaining water.

Why not just call an appliance repair shop, parts store, or even used
appliance store and ask.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Sep 3, 1:31*pm, Mike wrote:
I have a 13 year old GE washer. *When I jiggle the agitator around a
bit I hear water sloshing around below. *No water is seen in the
basket, it seems like not all the water is being pumped out of the
tub. *Not a huge deal seemingly, but is this something to address? *It
gets used at least every 2 days, so the water will not usually have
time to get stagnant.

Thanks for any info.

Mike

==
Normal condition...the pump can't exhaust all of the water. Do nae
worry your head over it.
==