Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shallow Well Pump Blows Fuses

Goulds 1/2 HP. Has been making a grinding noise although it still
pumps perfectly. I suspect something is binding causing it to draw
more amps, but what most likely. Bearings?
NOTE: This occurs after the pump has been running for awhile,
NOT on startup.
Thanks for help!
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 1, 10:35*am, frank1492 wrote:
Goulds 1/2 HP. Has been making a grinding noise although it still
pumps perfectly. I suspect something is binding causing it to draw
more amps, but what most likely. Bearings?
* * NOTE: This occurs after the pump has been running for awhile,
NOT on startup.
* * Thanks for help!
* * * * Frank

Sounds like you need some professional well service, and sooner rather
than later. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 11:35*am, frank1492 wrote:
Goulds 1/2 HP. Has been making a grinding noise although it still
pumps perfectly. I suspect something is binding causing it to draw
more amps, but what most likely. Bearings?
* * NOTE: This occurs after the pump has been running for awhile,
NOT on startup.
* * Thanks for help!
* * * * Frank

My submersible was cuttting out, drawing twice its working amperage.
Plumber said it was failing and I had it replaced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 11:35:48 -0400, frank1492 wrote:

Goulds 1/2 HP. Has been making a grinding noise although it still pumps
perfectly. I suspect something is binding causing it to draw more amps,
but what most likely. Bearings?
NOTE: This occurs after the pump has been running for awhile,
NOT on startup.
Thanks for help!
Frank

If you like running water you should call a pro. If you are trying to
figure out which one is likely at fault, the pump or motor, there is no
way to tell unless you have the parts on hand to substitute one or the
other.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's an above-ground pump used for irrigation only. Guess I'll just
take it apart and look. Thanks all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 14:49:21 -0400, frank1492
wrote:

It's an above-ground pump used for irrigation only. Guess I'll just
take it apart and look. Thanks all.

If you have a stethoscope, listen at the pump and at the motor sides.

That's finding the noise side, right..

Absent the stethoscope, try a pool stick, length of pipe, long
screwdriver and some imagination.

Youtube has some videos of screamin' pump motors.