DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shallow Well Pump Blows Fuses (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/309237-shallow-well-pump-blows-fuses.html)

frank1492 September 1st 10 04:35 PM

Shallow Well Pump Blows Fuses

Goulds 1/2 HP. Has been making a grinding noise although it still
pumps perfectly. I suspect something is binding causing it to draw
more amps, but what most likely. Bearings?
NOTE: This occurs after the pump has been running for awhile,
NOT on startup.
Thanks for help!
Frank

Joe September 1st 10 04:38 PM

On Sep 1, 10:35*am, frank1492 wrote:
Goulds 1/2 HP. Has been making a grinding noise although it still
pumps perfectly. I suspect something is binding causing it to draw
more amps, but what most likely. Bearings?
* * NOTE: This occurs after the pump has been running for awhile,
NOT on startup.
* * Thanks for help!
* * * * Frank

Sounds like you need some professional well service, and sooner rather
than later. Good luck.

Joe

Frank September 1st 10 04:48 PM

On Sep 1, 11:35*am, frank1492 wrote:
Goulds 1/2 HP. Has been making a grinding noise although it still
pumps perfectly. I suspect something is binding causing it to draw
more amps, but what most likely. Bearings?
* * NOTE: This occurs after the pump has been running for awhile,
NOT on startup.
* * Thanks for help!
* * * * Frank

My submersible was cuttting out, drawing twice its working amperage.
Plumber said it was failing and I had it replaced.

Jeff The Drunk[_5_] September 1st 10 04:55 PM

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 11:35:48 -0400, frank1492 wrote:

Goulds 1/2 HP. Has been making a grinding noise although it still pumps
perfectly. I suspect something is binding causing it to draw more amps,
but what most likely. Bearings?
NOTE: This occurs after the pump has been running for awhile,
NOT on startup.
Thanks for help!
Frank

If you like running water you should call a pro. If you are trying to
figure out which one is likely at fault, the pump or motor, there is no
way to tell unless you have the parts on hand to substitute one or the
other.

frank1492 September 1st 10 07:49 PM

Shallow Well Pump Blows Fuses

It's an above-ground pump used for irrigation only. Guess I'll just
take it apart and look. Thanks all.

Oren[_2_] September 1st 10 10:51 PM

Shallow Well Pump Blows Fuses

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 14:49:21 -0400, frank1492
wrote:

It's an above-ground pump used for irrigation only. Guess I'll just
take it apart and look. Thanks all.

If you have a stethoscope, listen at the pump and at the motor sides.

That's finding the noise side, right..

Absent the stethoscope, try a pool stick, length of pipe, long
screwdriver and some imagination.

Youtube has some videos of screamin' pump motors.